Search for content in message boards

Kauffman or Coffman Arrivals to America up to 1754

Kauffman or Coffman Arrivals to America up to 1754

Posted: 13 Jan 2005 3:15AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Edited: 14 Jan 2005 2:00AM GMT
Surnames: Coffman, Kauffman, Kaufman
I have done enough research in my lineage to know my Coffman branch were in this country almost from its beginning. But trying to find that elusive link between the absolute known to the "believed" has been difficult. It doesn't help that so many of them were related and loved to name their children after each other. :-)

So I started to compile a list of all Coffman's (no matter HOW they spelled it) in a table so I could get a handle on who came and when. It's hardly complete but I was surprised that I really did come up with quite a list for those who came into Philadelphia.

You can view at http://www.ancestors-genealogy.com/coffmanpeach/ships-n-kauf....

The source available also. Feel free to send me any additional information but with one caveat. The source must be known. It can't be "we think he came over on the Ship YadaYada". We need to KNOW. Even if the record is 'weak', it's probably better than what most of us have.

I hope this is helpful to others.

Who am I trying to find? That ever elusive John Nicholas Coffman who probably was really Johann Nicholas Kauffman. Although I'm not sure it was HE who came over but maybe his father.

Re: Kauffman or Coffman Arrivals to America up to 1754

Posted: 6 Feb 2005 5:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Oct 2010 1:47AM GMT
Surnames: Coffman, Kauffman
Updates have been added. 45 names on the list thus far. Still focusing on Pennsylvania arrivals as my research on my ancestry looks as if they came into PA, then migrated to VA, then to KY, and then MO.

I've added information from the 'A genealogy and history of the Kauffman-Coffman families of North America, 1584 to 1937'. The URL is:
http://www.ancestors-genealogy.com/coffmanpeach/ships-n-kauf...

Posted: 30 Sep 2008 3:16PM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2010 1:48AM GMT
Surnames: Kauffman, Fonner
Hi,

Did you Kauffman from Germany and settle in the Mifflin, Huntingdon County areas of PA? Looking for information on the Elmer Kauffman, Ruby Elimra Fonner family who was from Mifflin County.

I know that my Kauffman family descended from Germany and were barrel makers. Is this where your family possibly came from.

Posted: 30 Sep 2008 5:23PM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2010 1:49AM GMT
Surnames: Coffman, Kaufman
Hi,
My ancestor, Jacob Coffman, presumably a descendant of an early Kaufman family from Germany, settled in Smithfield, PA near Uniontown(?) in the mid-1700's (according to Nettie Cooper's "History of Prospect Valley"). Cooper reported that Jacob and his wife (name unknown) had four boys and four girls. The Mormon Ancestral File gives Jacob's birth date as 1749. His only known son is Henry Coffman who moved to Harrison Co., WV area near Clarksburg ca 1800. There he married 22 Jan 1804 Elizabeth Robinson and raised 11 children, all of whom are well documented. However, I've never been able to find any additional information on Jacob Coffman, his wife, or children and am wondering if Jacob could have been from the Smithfield located near Huntingdon, PA (Mifflin Co.) instead of the Smithfield in Fayette Co., PA? Henry owned a cooper shop on Robinson Run (near Lumberport, Harrison Co., WV) where he made and sold barrels. He also owned a sawmill nearby. Sorry, but the names you mentioned in your post are not in my known Coffman family. But any information you have that might remove my stone wall would be much appreciated.
Jerry Coffman
My up lineage: John G. Coffman, Jedediah W., William E., Benjamin R., Henry, and Jacob Coffman.

Posted: 1 Oct 2008 1:45AM GMT
Surnames: Coffman, Triplett, Howey
For Gloria and Jerry ... you actually know more about that generation of Coffman's than I do. Mine were farmers. In fact farming was in EVERY generation from my dad back to Abraham. It was my generation that broke away from the farm.

Now my Abraham named a son John Henry but he ALWAYS went by Henry. In fact I find that the males often went by their middle names. Which makes me wonder about Abraham?

Maybe he was XXX Abraham but the records are showing XXX.

I'm also leaning back into thinking that the Margaret Triplett mentioned in my Abraham Coffman's will (his wife) was his second wife. I find no Triplett's in the area of Virginia (Shenandoah) that he came from ... but there are a bunch in Hardin County, KY. So it is quite possible he migrated to Hardin County and his first wife (Margaret Howey)[there is a marriage record for that] died not long after the move.

But I can't find a marriage record for Abraham Coffman (no matter WHAT spelling you use) or a Margaret Ann Triplett.

So I know what you mean by the brick wall. But I broke through one on my mother's side (just one generation break through but a break through is a break through) this year. So let's just keep hacking away and sharing with each other. Who knows what tidbit someone says and it opens a door ... that's what happened on my maternal side.

Coffman / Kauffman: Cooper – Barrel Maker

Posted: 3 Oct 2008 11:33AM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2010 1:50AM GMT
Surnames: Coffman, Cooper
We have a Charles C. COFFMAN, b. May 1832, PA; he was a Cooper - barrel maker. At this point in time he is an enigma. Where in PA he was born is unknown at this time, as are the names of his parents and siblings.

His migration from PA was into WV; with a possible stop in MD first is unknown, his children were born in Morgan Co, WV, the youngest born in Garrett Co, MD, ultimately settling in Mineral Co, WV, where he and his family remained, and died there.

If Charles is a member of your Cooper – barrel maker family, please, any information you can share would be a tremendous help and very much appreciated.

Coffman / Kauffman: Cooper – Barrel Maker

Posted: 3 Oct 2008 11:35AM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2010 1:52AM GMT
Surnames: Coffman, Cooper
We have a Charles C. COFFMAN, b. May 1832, PA; he was a Cooper - barrel maker. At this point in time he is an enigma. Where in PA he was born is unknown at this time, as are the names of his parents and siblings.

His migration from PA was into WV; with a possible stop in MD first is unknown, his children were born in Morgan Co, WV, the youngest born in Garrett Co, MD, ultimately settling in Mineral Co, WV, where he and his family remained, and died there.

If Charles is a member of your Cooper – barrel maker family, please, any information you can share would be a tremendous help and very much appreciated.

Posted: 3 Oct 2008 3:04PM GMT
Hi Jerry,

I may have a lead on your family, will know more after this weekend. Going to visit a woman who is almost 100 yrs old that could be a direct descendant of your family. Will contact you after I visit her later this weekend with the information that I get from her.

Gloria

Posted: 4 Oct 2008 4:06PM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2010 1:51AM GMT
Surnames: Coffman
Gloria,
Thanks so much for replying and for the possibility of your new lead to my ancestor Jacob Coffman (b. 1749, Smithfield, PA). I look forward to hearing from you after your visit this weekend with the 100-year-old lady.
Jerry

Posted: 19 Oct 2008 1:05AM GMT
Hi Jerry,

Email me at my personnal email address so that I can download the information to you. Email address is: Kauffman_1@hotmail.com

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Gloria
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.