Search for content in message boards

Obit: Oscar Chase, Attica & Dale, NY

Obit: Oscar Chase, Attica & Dale, NY

Posted: 4 Jul 2002 7:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CHASE, FREEMAN
The death of Oscar CHASE occured on Saturday morning, Apr. 23, 1910.
The deceased was born in the town of Attica, Oct 31, 1838. At the age of 16 he with his parents came to Dale to live. On Oct 5, 1870, he was united in marriage to Mrs. Mary BENCHLEY. To them 4 children were born: Milton W., of Buffalo, Ray & Florence, of Dale. He was the 2nd of eight children, 5 of whom survive him: Mrs Adell BABBITT of Dale, who was to ill to attend, Mr. Wm CHASE & Mrs Florence FREEMAN of Nebraska, Mrs Lenora FREEMAN & James CHASE of California, one half-brother Newton CHASE of Alden, & one step-brother & sister, Mr Gilbert & Hattie ELLIS of Rochester, NY, Mrs Lyman SCOVILLE of Batavia, aged 85 yrs & only living sister of his mother, attended the funeral.
He is survived by his wife, 2 sons & 1 daughter, & 3 grandsons.
Mr Chase was a kind husband, a generous & indulgent father. Ever ready to assist in the church & society, respected & loved by all who knew him.
He had served 49 yrs as agent for the Erie R.R. About 1 1/2 yr ago, he asked for a leave of absence with the hope he might recover, but it was not to be. He was very patient. He has during the winter said if he could not be better, he wished to be taken home.
The funeral was held from his home at 2 pm Thurs. afternoon. The service was conducted by Rev. G.B. Southwick, by a few well chosen remarks drawn from Matthew. Mr Calvin Stortz sang 2 beautiful solos.
The floral offerings were many & beautiful, special mention should be made of the wreath from the Erie conductors, & the harp from the telegraphers.
Twelve telegraph operators were in attendance. They formed on either side of the wall with the floral harp & as the remains & mourners passed out: with the exception of one or two they were all students of his. They went in a body as mourners, Mr Robert McCEIL of Attica, another Erie employee, walked with them. The bearers were O.R. HOWES, E.S. SMITH, Wm. JENKINS & Chas MOORE. The house was filled to overflowing with friends & neighbors showing the esteem for Mr CHASE & sympathy for the family.
Relatives from out of town were present from Buffalo, Rochester, Alden, Warsaw, Batavia, Linden & Lancaster.

Re: Obit: Oscar Chase, Attica & Dale, NY

Posted: 4 Dec 2002 10:29PM GMT
Surnames: Stortz, Buell, Broadbooks, McGuire
I was reviewing the "Stortz" messages and noticed the obituary posting.

My grandfather was Calvin Stortz who sang the "2 beautiful solos" at the funeral. I do not remember him, but my mother, Avis Stortz Broadbooks McGuire, often spoke of his wonderful voice.

My mother was born in Dale in a house on the road from Warsaw north of the railroad tracks. The house later belonged to Charles Miller, I believe. My grandfather, according to mother, drilled a well for water and was dismayed to strike gas!

Calvin was married to Viola Buell, daughter of Cyrus and Abigail Odiorne Buell, both buried in Maple Lawn Cemetery, Bethany.

A John Stortz and wife are buried in a small cemetery on the west side of 20A not far west of the railroad west of Warsaw. I do not know anything about them.

Do you have any additional Stortz or Buell information?

John Broadbooks
Asheville, NC

Shirley Pond Albert (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2002 12:32AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Chase, Freeman, Stoltz, Buell
I am very sorry that I have nothing to share with you about the Stortz or Buell families. I am related to the Chase family & inherited a clipping about the death of Oscar Chase. I decided to share all info for the sake of others who might be interested, as you are. I have never been in the Attica/Dale area, either, tho close by when traveling from NE to the east coast. Perhaps someone else who does have some info will also see my obit. clipping. If I hear from them I will pass it on to you. Good luck and God bless.

Vicki Bolleman-Fisher (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2003 8:17PM GMT
Surnames: Chase,Benchley
I have some info on Chase family.Would be happy to share.My grRose Burgess Clark had these in her pictures.Above the name Eunice Benchley is written "my mothers gr gr grandmother"I have a paper with names and dates for the Chase familystarting with Myrton Lee Chase b.Jan 15,1873 on Wednesday at Dale.Contact me if you think this is your line.

Shirley Pond Albert (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2003 11:22PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Chase, Benham, Freeman, Benchley, Wardell
This is the family line of Oscar Chase, starting with his grand-father:
1) William Chase (1787-1843)
Hannah Wardwell (1788-1839) - or "Wardell"
2) Isaac Chase (1811-1885)
Sarah (Sally) Benham (1813-1865)
Had 8 children (Oscar, Adell, Wm, Florence,
Lenora, James, + 2 others). A son born to Isaac
by another wife (Newton), & he had 2 step children
3) Oscar Chase (1838-
Mrs. Mary Benchley
Had 4 children (Milton W., Florence, Ray, + 1)

Florence, my gr-grandmother, died in 1918 so Oscar's death was before this since she attended his funeral.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.