The answer to your question depends on how far back in time you are looking. The following is from others.
Some say that the name came to England by way of a Roman solder, who decided to stay.
The Tucks of Virginia are descended from an ancient English family chiefly of County Kent, but also of London and Norwich. Today persons of that name are found throughout England, especially in London.
“The earliest appearance of the name TUCK is found in a grant to Croyland Monastery in 1051. Five centuries later, in 1510, Sir Brian Tuck, son of Richard Tuck, was Clerk of the Council of Calais and later Secretary to Cardinal Wolsey and to Henry VIII, King of England. His daughter married a member of the Royal Guard under the Duke of Norfolk. In the reign of Queen Elizabeth, another Richard Tuck, a great-great-great grandson of John Tuck, of county Kent, was granted a coat-of-arms.
Arms: Argent, a chevron between three greyhounds' heads erased sable. Crest: Three mullets in chevron. Motto: J'ai Fait de Mon Mieux.
In 1776, Bennett Tuck along with the Wade brothers and Hunt brothers, signed a communication from Halifax County, Virginia to the Virginia General Assembly.
Bennett immigrated to Virginia between 1745 and 1750 and settled in Prince Edward County. “
THE EARLIST APPEARANCE OF THE NAME IS FOUND IN A GRANT TO CROYLAND MONASTERY IN 1052.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For Croyland Abbey in the town of Crowland, see Croyland Croyland Abbey (usually spelled Crowland Abbey) is a Church of England parish church Church_of_England_parish_church>, formerly an abbey church in Crowland in the English county of Lincolnshire
It was originally founded in the 8th century , and is dedicated to Saint Mary the Virgin Blessed_Virgin_Mary>, Saint Bartholomew and Saint Guthlac, the last of these having dwelt there as a hermit between 699 and 714. During the third quarter of the 10th century, Croyland came into the possession of the nobleman Turketul, a relative of Osketel, Archbishop of York. Thurketel, a cleric, became abbot there and endowed the abbey with many estates. It is thought that, about this time, Croyland adopted the Benedictine rule.
Croyland is well known to historians as the probable home of the Croyland Chronicle of Pseudo-Ingulf, begun by one of its monks and continued by several other hands. In 1537, the abbot of Croyland wrote to Thomas Cromwell, sending him a gift of fish: "ryght mekely besechyng yow lordship favorablye to accepte the same fyshe, and to be gud and favorable lorde unto me and my pore house". Despite these representations, the abbey was dissolved in 1539.
Much of the abbey church survived for use by the parish, but large parts collapsed over the subsequent centuries. The present parish church is reduced to the north aisle of the old building, with ruins, including a fine west front, adjoining. One of the religious relics that the present church claims to contain is the skull of the 9th century Abbot Theodore which used to be on public display until it was stolen from its display case in 1982. The skull was later returned anonymously in 1999.
Persons linked with Cambridge will recall that their University was founded under the inspiration of the abbot of Croyland, thus Sabine Baring-Gould has said, making St Guthlac the University's spiritual father.
The abbey is also known for being the subject of a John Clare.
Tuck, J.A. The Emergence of a Northern Nobility, 1250-1400 Northern History, Vol. 22
Tuck, J.A. Richard II and the Border Magnates Northern History, Vol. 30
Tuck, J.A. War and Society in the Medieval North Northern History, Vol. 21
Turketul (Turketel, Turkentals, Thurcytel, Twiketal of Croyland) (907 -12 July 975 ) was of royal descent. He was the son of Ethelward, the brother of king Edward the Elder.
He was raised to the position of Lord Chancellor and entrusted with all temporal and spiritual affairs. He remained in this function under different kings:
• Edward the Elder (d. 924)
• Ælfweard of Wessex (d. 924)
• Athelstan of England (d. 939),
• Edmund I of England (d. 946),
Dunstan, abbot of Glastonbury, was Turketul's most trusted friend.
In 946 he became a monk of Croyland Abbey, which had been devastated by the Danes. He restored the abbey and became abbot in 948.
In 966 he visited king Edgar of England and received a privilege for Croyland.
He died in Croyland in 975.
Turketul wrote the history of Croyland from 716 till 973.
• Ingulph’s Chronicle of the Abbey of Croyland, translated from the Latin with notes by Henry T. Riley, Esq., B.A., London MDCCCLIV
THE TUCK'S OF VIRGINIA ARE DESCENDENTS FROM AN ANCIENT ENGLISH FAMILY CHIEFLY OF THE COUNTY OF KENT, BUT ALSO OF LONDON AND NORWICH. TODAY PERSONS OF THAT NAME ARE FOUND THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE OF ENGLAND, ESPECIALLY IN LONDON, WHERE NUMEROUS PAGES OF THE TELEPHONE DIRECTORY ORE REQUIRED TO LIST THE TUCK SUBSCRIBERS.
THE EARLIEST APPEARANCE OF THE NAME IS FOUND IN A GRANT TO CROYLAND MONASTERY IN 1052. FIVE CENTURIES LATER, IN 1510, SIR BRIAN TUCK, SON OF RICHARD TUCK, WAS CLERK OF THE COUNCIL OF CALAIS AND LATER SECRETARY TO CARDINAL WOLSEY AND HENRY VIII, KING OF ENGLAND. HIS DAUGHTER MARRIED A MEMBER OF THE ROYAL GUARD UNDER THE DUKE OF NORFOLK, IN THE REIGN OF QUEEN ELIZABETH. ANOTHER RICHARD TUCK, A GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GRANDSON OF JOHN TUCK, COUNTY OF KENT, WAS GRANTED A COAT-OF-ARMS.
IN 1649, ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT FIGURES IN VIRGINIA WAS LORD CULPEPPER, A KINSMAN AND COMPANION-IN-ARMS OF COLONEL SAMUEL TUCK. THIS TUCK IN 1661 WAS THE AUTHOR OF A PROPOSAL FOR THE REGISTRATION OF PLANRETS AND SERVANTS OR SLAVES IN COLONIAL PLANTATIONS, WHICH WAS DEBATED IN A MEETING OF THE PRIVY COUNCIL.
IN THE SEVENTEENTH CENTURY, MANY TUCK'S MIGRATED FROM THE OLD COUNTRY TO THE COLONIES. ROBERT TUCK, A CHIRRURGEON, VINTER AND TAILOR, CAME IN 1636 FROM SULFOLK COUNTY TO SETTLE FIRST IN MASSACHUSETTS, LATER IN NEW HAMPSHIRE WHERE HE FOUNDED A MUMEROUS FAMILY. AMOUNG THOSE OF THE NAME WHO CAME TO VIRGINIA IN THE EARLY YEARS WERE; WOODHAM TUCK IN 1642; ANN TUCK IN 1652; AND WILLIAM AND ROBERT TUCK IN 1657, WHO HAD HEADRIGHTS OF 730 ACRES OF LAND, EACH IN NEW KENT COUNTY. NOTHING FURTHER IS KNOWN OF THESE EARLY VIRGINIA SETTLERS, AS THE RECORDS OF THE TIDE-WATER COUNTIES WERE ALMOST COMPLETELY DESTROYED IN THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES.
WE DO KNOW THAT JOHN AND EDWARD TUCK, AND A THOMAS TUCK, WHO MAY HAVE BEEN A BROTHER, APPEARED IN HALIFAX COUNTY, VIRGINIA ABOUT THE TIME IT WAS CUT OFF FROM LUNDENBURG IN 1752, AQUIRED LAND, ESTABLISHED HOMES, AND REARED LARGE FAMILIES, THE DESCENDENTS OF WHOM ARE NOW SCATTERED THROUGHOUT OUR NATION.
THAT THESE BROTHERS CAME TO HALIFAX COUNTY FROM ONE OF THE TIDEWATER COUNTIES IS CERTAIN, BUT THE LENGTH OF THEIR RESIDENCE THERE IS IN DOUBT. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THEY ARE DESCENDENTS OF THE WILLIAM OR THE ROBERT WHO SETTLED IN NEW KENT IN 1657.
A FURTHER THEORY IS THAT THEY ARE COUSINS OF A GRANDSON OF ROBERT TUCK OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, WHO IS SAID TO HAVE COME TO VIRGINIA. THE REMARKABLE SIMILARITY OF THE GIVEN NAMES FOUND IN THE MASSACHUSETTS AND VIRGINIA FAMILIES AND THE PRESENCE IN BOTH OF THE UNUSUAL NAME, MARSTON, WOULD INDICATE A CLOSE RELATIONSHIP.
A FAMILY TRADITION, WHICH HAS BEEN FOUND EXISTING IN WIDELY SEPERATED GROUPS OF DESCENDENTS THROUGHOUT THE SOUTH, IS THAT JOHN AND EDWARD TUCK, WITH THEIR PARENTS AND OTHER MEMBERS OF THE FAMILY CAME DIRECTLY FROM ENGLAND. BY MANY, THEY ARE BELIEVED TO HAVE SETTLED IN WHAT IS NOW KING WILLIAM COUNTY, WHERE MOST OF THEM ARE SAID TO HAVE REMAINED WHEN THE BROTHERS LEFT TO MAKE THEIR HOME IN HALIFAX. SUCH UNUSAL NAMES AS BENNET, CARY AND JOSIAH ARE FOUND IN THE EARLY RECORDS OF BOTH THE KING WILLIAM AND THE HALIFAX TUCK'S, SUPPORTING THE BELIEF THAT THE TWO FAMILIES HAVE A COMMON ORIGIN.