Search for content in message boards

Hannah Thomson (West)

Hannah Thomson (West)

William L Thomson (View posts)
Posted: 21 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: West
Looking for the burial site of Hannah Thomson (West), my ggg grandmother, who died accidentally in 1849 in Brantford twp (Con 1, Lot 45). She was married to Gilbert Thomson circa 1840 and the mother of George (1841), John (1842), Mary (1844), and Anne (1846). Related to Thomas (father?) and John West. Any information on Hannah or family would be much appreciated.

Re: Hannah Thomson (West)

Posted: 8 Jul 2007 11:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gilbert and Hannah (West) Thomson
My grandfather's sister was Gilbert Thomson's third wife Catherine Jane ("Katie") Burns.
In research re Gilbert, I found an Index entitled Marriage Licenses and Bonds, Province of Upper Canada 1835 - 1845 at the Mormon Family History Centre, Hamilton, Ontario. In it is the following entry on page 21: "Thomson Gilbert...West Ann...Gore...05 Mar 40...8230." The number 8230 refers to the page in a microfilm (#0332416)which you could order from your local family history centre.
The word Gore refers to the Gore District. Before 1852, what is now Ontario was divided into large areas called districts. What is now Brant County and the city of Brantford were in the Gore district.
My conclusion: Gilbert and Hannah were married on March 5, 1840 in the Brantford area, probably in the Brantford township on the north side of the town of Brantford. I believe that "Ann" is probably a copying error which should have been Hannah. I haven't seen the microfilm: possibly it has "Hannah." I have only found 2 Gilbert Thomsons in my Ontario searches: one married to Agnes Callender in Carleton County (not our Gilbert) and the one married to Hannah. I have a photocopy of a source listing the birth and christening dates for 3 of Gilbert's children from the 1840s and the mother's name is listed as Hannah Thompson. If I get a reply to this message, I can send more information.

Posted: 5 Jul 2009 6:42PM GMT
Surnames: Thomson, Thompson, Latta, West
Hi William,

Gilbert Thomson and Hannah West were my gggg grandparents - I'm descended through their daughter Mary Thomson/Thompson, who married William Latta.

Very interested in sharing information!

Posted: 5 Jul 2009 6:43PM GMT
Surnames: Thomson, Thompson, West, Latta
Hi!

Gilbert Thomson and Hannah West were my gggg grandparents - I'm descended through their daughter Mary Thomson/Thompson, who married William Latta.

Very interested in sharing information!

Posted: 6 Jul 2009 3:00AM GMT
Hi Amanda,
Thank you for your message. I would be happy to share information with you. I am presently writing a family history of the Burns-Meneer family. Last summer my daughter Hilary and I visited the Manitoba homestead which Gilbert purchased form the original settler in 1889. Today it is a small horse ranch. We also visited Gilbert's grave. A distant cousin sent me a copy of Gilbert's Will, which Gilbert gave in May, 1890. One of the witnesses to the Will was John Thomson, who I think was your ggg grandmother's brother.
If you feel comfortable phoning me, I can be reached at home at 905-383-5259.
Sincerely, Bryan Meneer
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.