Search for content in message boards

grandmother's family

grandmother's family

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 5:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hanney, Scanlon
Trying to find info on my grandmother's family who were from Carrownamaddoo, Co. Sligo, Ireland. Parents were Bartholomew Hanney and Mary Scanlon Hanney. There were 8 children, all but two immigrated. The two remaining in Ireland were Sarah and Bartholomew or Bartley, who I believe were twins. They were born in the 1870'. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Re: grandmother's family

Posted: 13 Sep 2009 8:40PM GMT
Hi Marigold!

Yes, this rings bells! My Grandfather was Bartholomew Hanney - the cousin of your Bartholomew. Their Father was John Hanney. I don't know much about Mary Scanlon, but you can look them up on the 1901 census - http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/census.shtml and also on the 1911 census, just launched. I didn't know that Bart and Sarah were twins.
I'm afraid this family was a little unlucky as afterwards they were evicted from their farm in Carnamodda, which left my Grandfather, Bart, to inherit it.
I am doing research on a brother and sister of my Grandfather, Bart or Batty as he was known. His brother Thomas and sister Mary went to Yonkers in NY in the 1890s or 1900s. Mary married a Mr Palmer, as far as I can see, Thomas did not marry. I've seen their records on the 1920 and 1930 US census. I'm also interested in a 'Patrick and John Hanney' who appear on the 1930 US census, American born but listed as newphews of Mary Hanney Palmer. I'm going to NY for a week on Sept 21 and will visit Yonkers. Ideally I'd love to find out where Thomas Hanney and Mary Palmer are buried.
Where are you based? Love to share and exchange info with you!
Best wishes, Deirdra Pickering, Dublin

Posted: 13 Sep 2009 9:13PM GMT
Surnames: Hanney, Scanlon
Hi again Marigold,

I was incorrect about the Father of 'your' Bartholomew Hanney, I don't know his name (yet :-)

Posted: 15 Sep 2009 3:23AM GMT
Surnames: Bartholomew Hanney
Hello Deirdra! I'm so excited! I'd about given up finding my late dad's family. He'd been orphaned young and knew very little outside the immediate family. I recently found an old letter my dad's older sister had written years ago, which finally opened a door. This is what I have: My great-grandfather was Bartholomew Hanney, born around 1840, who married Mary Scanlon. Their 8 children were Mary (my grandmother), Margaret, Patrick, John, all of whom immigrated to New Hampshire, USA, in late 1890's, Delia and Annie, both immigrated to New York City during the same time period, Bartholomew, who remained on the farm in Sligo and is listed on both 1901 and 1911 Irish census, and Sarah, who still lived in Ireland in 1910 per my grandmother's obituary, but I don't know anymore about her. My auntie's letter said that Sarah and Bartholomew were twins. If I understand you correctly, this is the Bart who is cousin to your grandfather Bartholomew. I did see a John Hanney and wife Bridget with a son Bartley in the 1901 census and wondered if they were related! In addition, in the 1901 census along with my great-grandmother and 4 children (in their 20's) is listed ANOTHER bartley hanney listed just as "a relative." I don't know yet who he is.

For some reason, the ones who immigrated to New Hampshire changed the spelling of their name to "Heeney" and it wasn't till I got my grandparents' marriage certificate from New Hampshire that I found she'd spelled her name as Mary "Hanney", which then the given names in my aunt's letter started to add up. My dad and auntie had always said their mother was from Sligo, but there weren't any Heeney's in Sligo!!!!!!

I'm so glad to get your information and hope you will have good luck on your trip to New York! Myself I would absolutely love to visit Ireland someday! Right now I'm in Minnesota, which is a long ways away!

Thanks again for replying. We are like--third cousins!?!

Best wishes, Mary Miller (marigold64@hotmail.com)

Posted: 22 Sep 2010 9:38AM GMT
Surnames: Hanney, Frizzell, Keaveny, Brennan
Hi Mary,

I don't know whether you got my recent e-mail so I thought that I'd post here also. Bartholemew and Mary's son Patrick Hanney married Margaret F. Frizzell (also spelled Frizzle) a daughter of John Frizzell (1817-1891) and Winifred Keaveny (1826-1889) of Rinbane, Co. Sligo in the RC Church of Achonry on 11 Aug 1890. Patrick and Margaret's children Charles, Thomas, Jerome, Bartholemew, Ellen, Margaret and Winnifred were first cousins to my paternal grand father, James Brennan (24 Jul 1886-8 May 1968) as his mother was Margaret's sister, Ellen Frizzell (c1860-17 Aug 1935). Margaret also appears to have had siblings called Winifred and Thomas although I have not been able as yet to find their birth details. They and Margaret were baptism sponsors for several of Ellen's children by my g gf, Pat Brennan (23 May 1853-28 Sep 1915).

John B.
22 Sept 2010

Posted: 25 Sep 2010 10:14AM GMT
Hi John

Great to hear from you and all the news. I haven't gone back to look at the hanney gamily tree in some time, so your email is timely motivation. I have to go the parish records in the national Library in Dublin.

Do you know Bartholomew's father's name? Where did Patrick Hanney and his wife and children go to? Where are you based?

Kind regards
Deirdra

Posted: 27 Sep 2010 9:09AM GMT
Hi Deirdre,

I'm based in Dublin, Ireland. I don't know as yet, the name of Bartholomew's father. You might be able to ascertain it from Bartholomew and Mary's marriage record if it can be found on the site of the Irish Family History Foundation? Patrick and Maggie immigrated to the US and settled in New Hampshire. As Mary Miller said they changed their surname to Heeney after their arrival. I found Maggie and Patrick's death certs on the web. Maggie's correctly identified her father as John Frizzell but incorrectly identified her mother as Minnie Brouhany instead of Winnie Keaveny.

Posted: 27 Sep 2010 9:32AM GMT
Hi John

I'm also in Dublin, I'll be making a day of it soon, in the National Library archives in Kildare Street. The records don't go back that far - 1850s if I remember correctly. If I come up with anything I'll let you and Marigold know. I plan to finish as much research as I can this year :-)

Kind regards
Deirdra

Posted: 11 Feb 2012 3:46AM GMT
Surnames: Hanney McLean
I also have John Hanney born in Sligo in 1826. His twin sister is Margaret. I believe that they are the ones who were sent away from Sligo...probably around 1845. John Hanney (1926) married Catherine McLean from Sligo. They went with other family members to Yorkshire, England. There is a brother Thomas as well. In 1860s I believe that Catherine McLean Hanney died in Yorkshire, then their sons John and James (my great grandfather born abt 1855) came to PA in the US. THEN I think that John Hanney (Sligo 1826) went back to Sligo and married Bridget Ward. Their son Bartholomew (Bartley) was born in 1877. This is all Carran....doo. Need to look up spelling. It would be good to hear from some of you about John Hanney (1826-1905). Death in Sligo. They had to leave Sligo for England, but I don't know why. Always searching............Kathy Murphy in San Diego
kmsally@aol.com

Posted: 29 Jan 2014 8:01PM GMT
The place in Sligo was originally called:

Carrownamadoo

Its at the foot of Ben Bulben. I know because my ancestors the Gilmartin's lived on a farm there. My family still own the land even though the farm is now desolate.

I have found all the posts about your family extremely interesting, as ancestors from the farm also went to USA. Imagine they may have known each other!!

Regards
Pauline
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.