Search for content in message boards

Old Mill Village of Mignon In Talladega Co.

Old Mill Village of Mignon In Talladega Co.

Posted: 18 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Oct 2006 8:22PM GMT
Surnames: Hopkins, Epperson, Wilkins
I am hoping that someone will have information on the Old Mill Village of Mignon located near Sylacauga, Al. and the Avondale Mills. If you had family living there or who worked there or have information on Mignon,I will appreciate your help. My great-grandparents, William S. Hopkins and Mary E. "mollie" Wilkins Hopkins lived and worked in the mill village 1910-1930. I think my grandparents,Amos Epperson and Ida Hopkins Epperson,worked there also. I am looking for any information on my family or the history of the Mill Village. Also, need information on the cemetery located there "Comers" or "Mignon" Cemetery.
Posted: 19 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Oct 2006 8:22PM GMT
Surnames: Hopkins, Wilkins, Epperson
Thank you so much for all the information on the village. I am so glad to have finally found someone with knowledge of Mignon. Would you or any member of your family remember anything about Hopkins or Epperson's who lived and worked there? The years 1910-1930 maybe later. I will appreciate any information. I am trying to find out about my mothers family that I never knew. I also am searching for information on Comers or Mignon Cemetery located there near Avondale Mills. I have family buried there and can find no records.

Mignon near Sylacauga, Al

Joyce Guy Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Avondale Mills
My family lived in Talladega County in the little community of Mignon, on the outskirts of Sylacauga. I started the sixth grade there, I believe. My Dad, Joel Manning Guy was the guard at the front gate of Avondale Mills for years. My Mother and my Brother Clyde D. Guy worked there, within the mill. I was the youngest of the family and my Brother next to me worked there at Little Paul's corner in the drug store while going to school. My Dad had been a Policeman in Sylacauga for years, Chief of Police for several years. My Mother worked in the blanket mill there. Braxton Bragg Comer or BB Comer High School was the school that I graduated from in 1942. I graduated with Betty Comer, daughter of the owner of the mill. The only cemetery that I remember there is still there. It was located past the Little Paul's cafe out the road a bit. I still go there every few years cause my Mother and Father bought a cemetery plot there for the family and Mama, Daddy and my brother Joel Laymon Guy are buried there. Mama and Daddy died in B'ham and my brother Laymon died during WWII. Laymon graduated the year before I did from same school. My sister, Lorene graduated from same school and she and her Husband have a plot and were buried in the same cemetery. The name of the cemetery is or was MARBLE CITY CEMETERY. I was there last year and know that it is a member of the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage as of Nov 1995. Hope that this might help a bit.

Old Mill Village

Posted: 20 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 4:22PM GMT
I lived in the mill village from about 1961 to about 1969. I was thinking that the old mignon cemetery was located near twin street, up on a hill. It is a very old cemetery.
I am thinking that there were some Eppersons that lived on the corner of Seminole Street and Cherokee Street. We lived on Mill Haven Street. My mother, Christine Wood Hosey and my father, William Kerney Hosey both worked at Avondale Mills. The entire family worked there at one time or another. I have many good memories of my years there.

Nignon

Rickey Walker (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Walker
I was born on Cherokee Street in Mignon, Sylacauga, Taladega County 1n 1945. Parents were Simp and Liz Walker, both worked in the general office at Avondale. Sister Patsy and Brother Jerry. We moved from Mignon to Oak Street near Lake Louise swimming pool then to Pinecrest. I now live in Utah. Patsy is still in Syllacauga. I remember the name Epperson, though not well.
Posted: 10 Jul 2002 12:15PM GMT
Surnames: Mignon
Would your brother be the Jerry Walker that graduated in 1957 at Comer?

Re: Mignon near Sylacauga, Al

Posted: 10 Jul 2002 12:28PM GMT
Surnames: Jackson/Gamel
Thanks so much for the information you posted. Do you have any photos of your dad in his policeman's uniform? I have a photo of my grandfather who was a policeman in Mignon or Sylacauga. I am trying to confirm which. He is in uniform holding a child that was born in 1905 and died in 1908 so I know those are good dates for him being a policeman at that time. He left my grandmother and went to Texas where he lived the rest of his life and died there. My grandmother stayed in Sylacauga and raised three boys by herself. I was thinking probably if I could find anyone with a photo I could compare uniforms. I can attach my photo if anyone else has a photo of a policeman around that time. I want to find documentation but do not know how to go about it. I went to Sylacauga and went to the policestation and they said they had no records of that time. I went to the Library and searched a bit but I am allergic to mold and dust and could not stay there long. His name was Glever Dallas Jackson. He married Ada Josephine Gamel, dau. of William T. Gamel and Selina Anderson Gamel. Jerrie

Re: Nignon

Rickey Walker (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2002 2:26PM GMT
Yes, I am the younger brother of Jerry Walker, Comer High, classo of '57. Did you know Jerry?
Posted: 10 Jul 2002 2:35PM GMT
Surnames: Jackson
I'll E-mail you. Yes.

Re: Mignon near Sylacauga, Al

Posted: 25 Oct 2009 9:43PM GMT
What was Little Pauls real name?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.