Search for content in message boards

stopkowicz

stopkowicz

Posted: 1 Jun 2006 2:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: stokowicz spock(spzak)
My great grandmother was appolonia (paulina) stopkowicz, married to a spock which could have been spzak or something similar. they came to America from Poland in 1895 with their son andrew. They had relatives in poland that they contacted, but all information is lost. please help, thank you.

Re: stopkowicz

Posted: 1 Jun 2006 3:00AM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2006 3:35PM GMT
e

Do you know where your great grandparents were born? Out of the 7 STOPKOWICZs that came thru Ellis Island by any chance one of them an ancestor?
www.ellisislandrecords.org

http://maxpages.com/poland
www.halgal.com
www.pgsa.org
Maybe one of these sites might be of some help.

e junko (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2006 4:18PM GMT
my great grandmother was apolonia(pauline) Stopkowicz. She immigrated to america with her husband(albert Spock, possibly Spzak or something like that) and their son Andrew(who was 2or 3) in1895 or 1896. I have searched ancestry and ellis island, but Spock can be spelled many different ways and I can not find them. I know they had relatives in Poland, because they mailed a first communion dress to someone in the 1940s but the address has been lost.
If anyone out there has any info please reply. thank you, Liz

Posted: 6 Sep 2006 7:17PM GMT
Liz

The child Andrew (Andrzej) did he have social security numbers? http://ssdi.rootsweb.com Was he naturalized citizen? Did he marry ? If yes, I would think that his CHURCH marriage certificate would have his parents names and where born.
They could have come thru Baltimore, Boston or Philadelphia unless you know that they came thru EI. Have you tried finding them with www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html
Search for speling SZPAK, SZPOK.
From www.herby.com.pl/herby in 1990 census of names there were 50 STOPKOWICZs in Poland. If we would to do the research based on that information, the most is found in Ks -Krosnienskie woj. I know that is not a precise way to go with the research but when you have no village that might not be a wrong way to go. Surname SZPAK list in Lubulskie woj. of Poland's phone book. SZPAK and STOPKOWICZ list in Podkarpackie woj.

Liz (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2006 3:09AM GMT
Surnames: stokowicz spock(spzak)
Zlatica Beca, My Grandfather andrew was born in Poland, but his siblings in the US. the church of their birth can not find the reccords. He was naturalized, so was his father , but appolonia was not. The census records and other records seem to state different places of origin depending on the year they were made. I will check the jewish data base, but I do not think that they were Jewish. They went to a catholic church in the US, if that makes any difference. I checked ancestry.com for immigration information, but there are so many possible names that it is difficult. There is a possibility that Appolonia was from Jereniowka, Jaslo,Galacia,Poland because there is an Apolonia Stopkowicz from there, but I don't know how common the name Stopkowicz is and I have no proof that it is her. Thank you for you reply. All of my relatives with information are getting older and I feel like I am against the clock. Liz

Posted: 10 Sep 2006 3:50AM GMT
Liz

The site www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html is not for only Jewish ancestors. You can also use www.stevemorse.org to locate people coming thru EI from a particular village.
You say your grandfather was naturalized citizen. Did you request his naturalization petition? That is where you would find a place of birth. If your first ancestors married in "old country" than the villages would be within 10 miles radius.
In Poland a town named Jaslo http://mapa.szukacz.pl a bit North-West a Jareniowka . Sounds like yours Jereniowka.
STOPKOWICZ surname list in Jaslo's phone book.

Re: stopkowicz / szpak

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 1:33AM GMT
Hi. I am a descendent of the Szpak family from the village of Antos which is now in the Ukraine after WWII. There were nine children born of the marriage of Andrezj and Pelagia (sp?) Szpak. I know Andrezj came over to work in the USA in the early 1900s but returned to Poland to the family and bought more land with the money he earned. Many of their children were deaf and unable to speak. Does any of this sound familiar?

-- Donna

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 7:43PM GMT
Surnames: Stopkowicz/ Spzak
Donna, My grandfather, Andrew, never returned to Poland. His mothers maiden name was Stopkowicz. His father was Albert. We were always told that his real last name was spelled Spzak in Poland; however in america it was always Spock. No living decendant of my grandfather is blind or unable to speak. My Andrew did immigrate to the U.S. around 1895.

Posted: 18 Jan 2008 12:46PM GMT
Surnames: Andrzej Szpak
Hi,
I have Andrzej (Andrew)Szpak in my family. I know he had four children: Jan, Janina, Ludwik and Magdalena. I don't know exactly where they lived but it is for sure south-est part of Poland (Ukraine, Galicia in the past). Any connections?

Posted: 25 Jan 2008 3:20PM GMT
My andrew spock immigrated to the US in 1897, so it can't be the same one. His mothers namwe was appolonia(paulina) Stopkowicz and his father was Albert. Andrew had 4 children in the US, Andrew, Dolores, Donna, And Rita.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.