Search for content in message boards

Eastern Cherokee - Duncan

Eastern Cherokee - Duncan

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 5:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Duncan
Help! Family lore states my husband's great grandfather is a Cherokee living in Cherokee, GA. His name was William Hebert Duncan. (Also listed as "Will Duncan and William Duncorn in various censuses.)The US Census's that I know are of him and his family state his race as white, however I cannot find any notation, references of who his parents were. So, I did some research on Indian Rolls and have only found the 1851 Chapman Roll showing a Duncan family living in Cherokee, GA at the time. Since the G-grandfather was born in 1872-1874, this family could be his fathers. *This same family shows as white in the 1850 US Census.

Any advise or help in taking this forward to make the link would be appreciated.

Re: Eastern Cherokee - Duncan

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 1:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Duncan / Matoy
You might try looking into the Old Settler's Payment Rolls for Amelia/Millie Moytoy / Duncan. She was 'said' not proven, that she was the first wife of Judge John Martin before his relationships with the last two wives. I'm working from a ever shortening memory but I believe he was James Duncan...don't write that in stone. She may have emigrated with her sisters Ruth Ellidge and Elizabeth Matoy/Davis. They were all children of Ruth Hilton and james Matoy.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.