There is a mystery afoot, and you may have clues to help solve it.
* Did your male Johnson/Johnston ancestor(s) immigrate to America in the first half of the 1700’s from Ireland, possibly from County Tyrone?
* Was the landing site in America possibly Charleston, South Carolina?
* Were there several brothers who crossed the ocean together, but lost track of each other? Various settling places for these brothers include North and South Carolina, Virginia, and Pennsylvania.
* Did the brothers’ names include William, James, or Thomas? There may have been other brothers, too.
* Are there stories in your family that the brothers changed their name when they came to America, from Johnston to Johnson?
* Is there a story in your family that before they were Johnstons/Johnsons, the family name VERY long ago was McEon, McEwan, or some other similarly-sounding name?
* Are there stories in your family that you are descended from Vikings? Or at least Norway, Sweden, or some such location?
* Are there stories in your family that before they were in Ireland, they were actually from Scotland?
Does ANY of that sound familiar to you? How about these questions?
* Are you descended from the William Johnson of Ireland who married Marian Buie of Jura, Scotland?
* Are you related to Marian Buie of Jura, Scotland, and have information about her husband William Johnson?
* Are you descended from the William Johnson who left the 1786 will in Anson County, North Carolina?
* Are you descended from the William Johnson who was associated with the town of Sneedsboro/Sneedsborough, NC?
* Are you descended from a Hugh Johnson from North Carolina who fought in the Revolutionary War, then moved to Christian County, Kentucky, then for a short time in Missouri, and then went to Illinois?
* Are you descended from a Hugh Johnson born circa 1747 in Anson County, North Carolina, who married Elizabeth Thomas born in Newberry County, South Carolina?
* Are you descended from a John Johnson of North Carolina, who married Sarah McDuffie from Jura, Scotland? They went from Cumberland County, North Carolina, to Christian County, Kentucky, to Washington County, Illinois where John died in 1820.
* Are you descended from Christian County, Kentucky, Johnsons? Specifically, those who were there in the very early 1800’s?
* Are you descended from Rev Neill Johnson, b 7 Sep 1802 in North Carolina?
* Are you descended from James Ovelton Johnson, b 21 Nov 1883 in Georgia?
* Are you descended from William R Johnson, b circa 1781 in South Carolina?
* Are you a male surnamed Johnson/Johnston who has DNA haplotype Il*?
Do those questions ring a bell for you? Do you have any information, research, family lines or stories related to these people or questions? Would you be willing to share?
There exists a small, informal group of Johnson researchers who have found a common bond in some of their known family lines, and/or stories, and/or DNA. We are searching for other Johnson researchers who might have pieces to add to this puzzle, either through research or DNA or both. Although no website exists at the moment to centralize communication, the group’s surname page is at:http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hjohnson/N
Let’s work together!