Search for content in message boards

O'LEARY, Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare

O'LEARY, Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare

Posted: 13 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Dec 2002 12:19AM GMT
Surnames: O'LEARY, FINN, O'BRIEN, REIDY, CONWAY, CONSIDINE, BROWN
O'LEARY / O'BRIEN; Miltown Malbay, CLA, IRL, 1830 - 1890
Greetings. I am researching the family of John O'Leary and Mary O'Brien [both born between 1820 and 1845]. The lived in Miltown Malbay, County Clare, Ireland at least between the years of 1840 and 1890. John was a weaver. Their children, from research by the Clare Heritage Society, included: Ellen, Bridget, Mary, Susan, John, Margaret, Catherine, Thomas, Honora, and Patrick.

Patrick O'Leary married Nora Finn and lived in Somerville, Cambridge, and Boston; they are my maternal grandparents.

I don't know the story on what happened to the others. I know others in this family also moved to greater Boston and had children whose names included Francis X. O'Leary, Mary O'Leary [Quinn], and Msgr. Timothy F. O'Leary but I don't know which one of the O'Leary / O'Brien children was their father.

Love to "talk"

Jim Conway, Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

O'Leary/Conway

Brian McInerney (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: O'Leary, Conway
Hello.

My mother's maiden name is O'Leary and I know little. However Francis is a family name. Did any ever move to Chicago?

Also,what do you know about Conway? My paternal great-grandmother was from County Clare and her name was Delia, she also had about 6 siblings so if there is a chance this is something I can give you there names.
Brian

O'Briens near Milltown Malbray

Bernard C O'Brien (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: O'Brien, Gleeson, Sexton, O'Leary
My Forbears came from Mountscott townland in the parish of Kilmurry-Ibrickan.
I have more information at home but I think that Mary O'Brien may be my great great Aunt.

I'll send more information from home when I have time

Bernard O'Brien, Wellington New Zealand.

O'Brien Miltown Malbay

C amille McEwen (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: O'Brien
1 MICHAEL O'BRIEN
Spouse: ELLEN GRIFFIN
Father: GRIFFIN
Marr: 1830

Children: MARY (1831-)

JOHANNA (1833-)

JOHN (1836-)

MICHAEL (1838-)

MARGARET (1841-)

FRANCIS (1844-)
All Children born Miltown Malbay Hope to hear from you soon
Regards Camille McEwen

Sexton/O´Leary

Caroline Anderson-Karlsson (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Sexton, O�Leary
My Grandfathers name is Patrick Sexton from Miltown Malbay in Clare, Ireland His father`s name was Michael Sexton who was married to Sarah O´Leary. I'm sorry I´ve no dates to give you but if you have more information please mail me.My grandfather Patrick Sexton Lived in Galway and was married to Elisabeth McPhilbin. He was married before but I don´t have a name but I know they lived in Longford and had two sons Michael and Mel. (I think)... Hope to hear from you..
best regards.. Caroline

O'Brien-Miltown Malbay

H.Murphy (View posts)
Posted: 4 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
I have James O'Brien marrying Anne Neylon on Feb.20,1889 in the RC Church of Miltown Malbay. James'father was Anthony. The couple resided at Doonsallagh and between 1890 and 1899 had John,Michael,Anthony,Bridget,Patrick,another Patrick,Mary,and Nora. Their son,John, emigrated to Queensland, AU. Also, a Mary Griffin was baptismal sponsor to Michael. Does anything look familiar?
Posted: 5 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Dec 2002 12:19AM GMT
Surnames: O'LEARY, O'BRIEN, FINN, REIDY
Greetings. In my family, we have a Mary O'BRIEN who married a John O'LEARY. The family was all around Miltown Malbay. The birth date isn't a bad match. Any O'LEARY relatives? Jim Conway [my family is from the Patrick O'Leary and Nora Finn line].

Descendants of Mary O'Brien

1 Mary O'BRIEN b: Unknown in Ireland d: Jul 20, 1886 in Miltown Malbay, Ireland
+John O'LEARY b: Unknown in Ireland d: Unknown

2 Ellen O'LEARY b: Abt. Sep 03, 1861 in Miltown Malbay, Ireland
2 Bridget O'LEARY b: Abt. Feb 25, 1863 in Miltown Malbay, Ireland
2 Mary O'LEARY b: Abt. Feb 08, 1865 in Miltown Malbay, Ireland
2 Susan O'LEARY b: Abt. Jun 06, 1867 in miltown Malbay, Ireland
2 John O'LEARY b: Abt. May 23, 1868 in Miltown Malbay, Ireland d: Unknown
+Nora BROWN b: Unknown d: Unknown m: Unknown

2 Margaret O'LEARY b: Abt. Sep 14, 1870 in Miltown Malbay, Ireland

2 Catherine O'LEARY b: Abt. Aug 24, 1872 in Miltown Malbay, Ireland

2 Thomas O'LEARY b: Abt. Dec 22, 1874 in Miltown Malbay, Ireland

2 Honora O'LEARY b: Abt. Dec 13, 1876 in Miltown Malbay, Ireland

2 Patrick O'LEARY b: Mar 06, 1879 in Miltown Malbay d: Mar 12, 1920 in Somerville, MA

+Nora FINN b: Jul 09, 1874 in Ballysteen, Liscannor d: Mar 04, 1943 in Medfield, MA m: Apr 11, 1909 in Massachusetts

Australian transportees from Miltown Malbay

D.S O'Briain (View posts)
Posted: 2 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: O'Brien, Griffy, Griffin, O'Briain
Two O’Brien brothers were transported to Australia according to a family story from my grandfather, John T O’Brien, of Miltown Malbay, County Clare. His father, Thomas O’Brien (1834-1890) was a son of Thomas O’Brien and Margaret Griffy whose other children were John (born 1833), Mary (1836-1921), James (born 1840), Patrick (born 1841) and a second Patrick (1844-1875). Thomas and Margaret had the same address (Carrickpatrick, Fintramore, Miltown Malbay) as Michael and Ellen Griffy (or Griffin) recorded in Camille McEwen's message and I’ve wondered if the two families were related.
None of the children I’ve listed were transported, but as I have no information from before 1831 when the Miltown parish register began there may have been older children in the family. Transportation from Clare occurred mainly between 1846 and 1851 so the two transportees, whose crime is not remembered, are likely to have been a little older than the known O’Brien/Griffy children and may have been older brothers, cousins or uncles. Does anyone have a corresponding story or know the identity or fate of the transportees?

Griffin O'Brien

C Mcewen (View posts)
Posted: 6 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Griffin, O'Brien
  I am researching Griffin my husband grandmother’s father was Thomas
Griffin who married Bridget Quinn Miltown Malbay County Clare. Thomas’s sister Ellen Married Michael O'Brien

I hope to hear from you again
Thank you Regards
Camille

1 Michael O'BRIEN
Father: O'BRIEN
Spouse: Ellen GRIFFIN
Father: GRIFFIN
Marr: 1830
Children: Mary (1831-)
Johanna (1833-)
John (1836-)
Michael (1838-)
Margaret (1841-)
Francis (1844-)
1.1 Mary O'BRIEN
Birth: Dec 1831, Miltown Malbay Clare Ireland
1.2 Johanna O'BRIEN
Birth: Dec 1833, Miltown Malbay Clare Ireland
1.3 John O'BRIEN
Birth: Apr 1836, Miltown Malbay Clare Ireland
1.4 Michael O'BRIEN
Birth: Jul 1838, Miltown Malbay Clare Ireland
Spouse: UNNAMED
Children: Sylvester
1.4.1 Sylvester O'BRIEN
Occ: Farmer
Spouse: Margaret MACNAMARA
Father: Thomas MACNAMARA
Marr: 17 Feb 1942, Church St Joseph's Milltown Clare Ireland
1.5 Margaret O'BRIEN
Birth: Nov 1841, Miltown Malbay Clare Ireland
1.6 Francis O'BRIEN
Birth: Dec 1844, Miltown Malbay Clare Ireland

O'Leary and Sexton

Caroline Karlsson (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Hi again bernard, I haven't received any mail yet from you but i think the O'learys and the sextons you are looking for are my relations. I have an aunt Patricia brady (nee sexton) who live's in Mullagh co. clare just outside miltown malbay and she I think has all the info you are looking for. You can drop her a line her address is The Cottage, ballymacea, mullagh Co. Clare Ireland. If and when you find out more info please mail me....thanks Caroline.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.