Search for content in message boards

Mary Redman - Ohio

Mary Redman - Ohio

Posted: 28 Jan 2008 10:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Redman/Mayle
I am looking for information about Mary Elizabeth Redman who married James Harry Mayle. They lived in Ohio & Michigan. They had 8 children Vernon(Ancel),Everett, Kenneth (Kenny), Robert (Bob), Virgina, Alma & Alice, Loretta. Mary E. had 3 of the children with her 1st husband. I know that Mary E. passed away and lived in Marietta, Ohio at the time. My grandfather is Kenneth Mayle and I would love to find out any information about their family.

Re: Mary Redman - Ohio

Posted: 10 Mar 2008 8:48PM GMT
You don't have any dates on your Mary Redman. So I will give you the info on the Redman's that I know went to Ohio in the early 1800's. They went to Gallia, Jackson Co. Ohio along with members of the Hale, Haile family. The Hales are covered in the local Jackson Co History. These Redmans were descended from Ignatious Redman,( Redmond)who is first found in Bedford Co. VA records in 1767. In 1780-1784 he was in Records in Henry Co. VA. He served in the Va Militia during the Rev. War from Henry Co. VA. In 1805 he deeded property in Lee Co vA (KY, NC,VA. border area)to William, George, David, Mary and Sarah Redmond.) It is believed he had another son, John who's name was not on that deed. Ignatious Redmond's wife's name was Hettie. I have located her family but do not have it handy at this moment. Most of this info came from Dee Amis who has done extensive work on the Redman and Hale lines. If you will check her messages on the boards you may find more info on your Mary than I have. I have not followed any lines other than my own, which split from the Ignatious line when Nancy Redman married William Hale in Patrick Co VA. 1804. Good luck.

Re: Ignatious REDMAN - Ohio

Posted: 21 Mar 2008 2:31PM GMT

> These Redmans were descended from Ignatious Redman,( Redmond)

I am very interested in this Ignatious REDMAN because I have someone who I think might possibly be related to him.

I only know of 2 children for Ignatious & neither of them went to Ohio so I would appreciate it very much if you would please share info on other children for Ignatious REDMAN.

The 2 children I believe to be his are:

- Nancy REDMAN m=William HALE & ended up in TN,Claiborne-Co

- John REDMAN m=02 Feb 1818 VA,Patrick-Co to Catherine=Catie=Caty BROWN & ended up in NC,Stokes-Co.

I look forward to hearing about any other children of Ignatious REDMAN.

Thanks,
NICOLE

Posted: 21 Mar 2008 3:44PM GMT
The only record of children of Ignatious Redman that I have seen is the instance where he deeded land to several people in Lee Co. VA. We have assumed that these were his children and we do not know why he did not name Nancy and John unless he had already given them land. So far I am taking Dee Amis' word for this since she has really done a fantastic job of finding old records. I am also assuming that Ignatious Redman was the brother of Thomas Erastus Redmond (Redman) who moved from VA to NC. I came to this conclusion because most of Thomas Erastus Redman's children moved to Claiborne Co. TN and were living next to and near Bill Hale and Nancy Redman in early census records. If you will go to the Claiborne Co. TN RootsWeb Genealogy site you may find a clue to connect your Mary Redman to this family. Dee Amis said that most, if not all, of Billy Hales siblings went to Ohio with Nancy's family. If you connect to this Redman family your will find that the Claiborne Co TN and the Washington Co. NC/TN RootsWeb sites have lots of info on them.

Posted: 21 Mar 2008 5:20PM GMT

> The only record of children of Ignatious Redman that
> I have seen is the instance where he deeded land to
> several people in Lee Co. VA.

Could you please tell me what these names were ?
Might you have a transciption of this deed ?

> I am also assuming that Ignatious Redman was the brother of
> Thomas Erastus Redmond (Redman) who moved from VA to NC

I don't know anything about that! I have Ignatious REDMAN as
the unproven son of John REDMAN, III d=abt.06 Mar 1745/46
who married a Rebecca of unknown maiden surname.
This couple also had a son named Thomas but I don't know
who he married. It would be great news to everyone if we
could indeed connect up Thomas Erastus REDMAN=REDMOND.

> most, if not all, of Billy Hales siblings went to Ohio
> with Nancy's family.

I would really like to try & find out exactly which people
you are referring to when you say "Nancy's family".
Do you have that info ?

> If you connect to this Redman family your will find that
> the Claiborne Co TN and the Washington Co. NC/TN RootsWeb
> sites have lots of info on them.

Unfortunately I cannot figure out which page you are referring me to :(
There seem to be many different kinds of Rootweb sites.
When I googled for it, it gave me way too many hits
with no REDMANs related to Ignatious REDMAN at all.

The internet is so huge that it is hard to figure out
where you might have seen the info before ...
Could you be so kind to give me a specific webpage address
where I can find relatives of Ignatious REDMAN ?

Thank you,
NICOLE

Posted: 21 Mar 2008 10:36PM GMT
You have already given me some informtion that I did not have. I did not know that Ignatious Redman's father's name was John, although Dee Amis did mention a John but I thought she meant that our Nancy Redman was the daughter of Ignatious's son John.
I found the Claiborne Co. TN and Washington Co TN genealogy sites by typing "Claiborne Co TN genealogy" in my search engine. I have had great luck just typing in a last name and/or the location and genealogy. I use Dogpile as my search engine. Dogpile can find anything that is out there.

Let me see if I can give you most of the information I have in my notes. It has been a long time since I worked on this line so bear with me.I have Ignatious Redman (Redmond) b. 1740. Married Hetty Chadwell. Apparently Hettie's family moved to Claiborne Co. TN too because her brother was honored as a Revolutonary War Hero by the Tazwell TN DAR. I think he was a Capt.

From "Legends of Loudon Valley" (VA) by Joseph Nichols : Ignatius, Rhodham, and James Redman were in Loudon Co. in 1760, and then moved to Henry/Patrick Co. Va. Pittsylvania Co. Va was split up into Patrick, Henry and several other counties. I don't have the dates when they were split. It's possible they could have been in Loudon Co and Later Patrick and/or Henry Co without moving. By 1815 Ignatius was in Lee Co VA. (Lee Co is in the area where NC. TN and VA intersect at Clinch Mountain, TN. I believe Clinch Mt. is in Claiborne County TN.

Records indicate that Ignatius was in Loudon Co. Va in 1760, by 1767 he was in Halifax Co, VA, and it is probably there that he met Hettie Chadwell. Halifax was once part of Pittsylvania Co and was split into Patrick and Henry Cos. Ignatius and son John owned property in Patrick/Henry Co.

Ignatius was a military recruit from Henry Co. Va and served until Dec. 1781

He is listed in the thithes from 1780 -1784 in Henry Co. and was involved in several land swaps or litigations.

Deed BK 2, Page 230 in Lee Co Va he gives property to William, George, David, Mary and Sarah Redmond in consideration for love and affection .

There was also an Andrew Redman in Loudon Co VA in 1764 who was m. to a Mary. He could possibly be the Andrew Redman who married Mary Stephens at Christ Church in Philadelphia. We have nto been able to connect with them.

The Hales, Redmans, Cummings (Bill Hale's mother was Lucy Cummings) and Chadwells seemed to move around together. Family Lore is that Bill Hale was from Germany and fought in the Reveloution.in PA. Since he was b. in 1783 he couldn't have been a Rev. soldier. There is also a note attached to info about Bill Hale that he had a brother named Powell Hale. I have never been able to find a William Hale with a brother named Powell. Dee Amis says that Bill Hale's father was James Hale and I did find a James Hale who had a brother named Powell Hale. Some of the boys in this family went from VA to PA and then came back down through VA to the TN, NC VA intersection area. I also found several Redman's in the PA Rev. soldiers muster rolls.. It is possible that members of both family traveled to PA before moving south. There is some speculation that certain members of these families were born either in VA or PA. I believe that our family lore may have gotten confused while being passed down by word of mouth.

According to information I found on the internet Thomas Erastus Redmond was born either in VA or Ireland. It is uncertain whether he was born before his parents arrived of after but apparently the family came from Ireland.

This is the information that I have at hand. I have stacks of papers that I have collected over the years that may have more information in them. I recently restored my computer and have my Genealogy information on a disk but have not been able to open it since I reinstalled it. I am still working on it.

What year was your Mary Redman born? I have found notes on several Redman families that do not appear to be connected to mine.

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 6:28PM GMT
Hi :)

> did not know that Ignatious Redman's father's name was John

It was Dee AMIS that first told me about that. I have not talked to her for quite some time. She had uncovered that because of the young Ignatious' nickname of Nace or Nassy.

Ignatious' father signed his Last Will on 1745\6/03/03.

On 1745\6/03/08 that Last Will was probated in MD & mentioned:
wife Rebecca & children -
James REDMAN
Jeremiah REDMAN
John REDMAN
Benjamin REDMAN
Martha REDMAN
Mary (REDMAN) LURTY
Elizabeth (REDMAN) ADAMS
Thomas REDMAN
Eleanor (REDMAN) COX
(witness) Thomas REDMAN (brother).

sources:
* 1744-1749 Maryland Calendar of Wills v9;
* 1744-1750 Maryland Probate Records, Perogative Court Abstracts;
* 1968 "Historical Southern Families" v12 compiled by John Bennett BODDIE & published by the Genealogical Publishing Company of MD,Baltimore;

-----

So the line for Ignatious goes ...

.1 John REDMAN=REDMOND=RODMAN, I n=UK,England d=1673 VA,Westmoreland-Co
m=01 Oct 1655 VA,Westmoreland-Co to Mary ALLEN-HARRIS
(she was born an ALLEN but adopted her step-father's surname of HARRIS)

..2 John REDMAN=REDMOND, II n=VA,Westmoreland-Co d=abt. Feb 1730/31
MD,St.Mary's-Co m1=bef.1689 Mary ??? m2=1699 Ann COX

...3 John REDMAN, III n=VA,Westmoreland-Co d=abt.06 Mar 1745/46
MD,St.Mary's-Co m=Rebecca ???

....4 Ignatious=Nace REDMAN=REDMOND=RODMON d=bef.05 May 1811
m=Hattie=Hetty=Hettee CHADWELL

-----

> Deed BK 2, Page 230 in Lee Co Va he gives property to
> William, George, David, Mary and Sarah Redmond
> in consideration for love and affection .

Thanks for letting me know these names :)
The info I had previously seen for this particular deed was
only that Ignatious gave property to George (REDMAN or REDMOND ?)
(who married Lena MURRY) & that some other REDMAN=REDMONDs
of TN,Claiborne-Co were mentioned. Unfortunately I have
never been able to find out anything else about this
George & Lena, or how they might be related to Ignatious.

> Bill Hale's mother was Lucy Cummings

I thought his parents were James HALE & Mary "Polly" Anne CUMMINGS ?
The 9 children I have for this couple are:
- Anna n=1787 VA d=08 Mar 1860 VA,Patrick m=18 Dec 1804 VA,Patrick to William KEATON, Jr.
- Charity
- Moses n=1775 VA d=(1853 IA,Wapello-Co or 1855 OH ?) m=Mary "Millie" POORE n=30 Nov 1771
- Hannah n=1777 VA m=20 Sep 1798 VA,Patrick to John R. CORN
- Benjamin n=1780 VA m=23 May 1799 VA,Patrick to Jane BARTON
- William n=1780-1786 VA,Loudon-Co m=26 May 1804 VA,Patrick to Nancy REDMAN=REDMOND
- Nancy n=1791
- John n=1788-1795 VA,Patrick d=1856 IA,Wapello m=1817 OH to Sarah BARTON
- Charlotte n=1796 1796 VA,Patrick d=28 Sep 1877 m=24 Dec 1816 OH,Jackson to Thomas BARTON

-----

This above info probably comes from Dee AMIS & I don't know whether it is proven or not. I have not heard about a Powell HALE before.

Here are some things from my notes on Ignatious:

1762 res=VA,Loudon-Co

Other REDMANs in VA,Loudon-Co tax lists in the same time frame were:
RUDMAN Andrew 84s
REDMAN (REDMAND, REDMON. RADMAN) -
Andrew 59,61-63,72s,74s-75s
Frances 68
Ignatius 65
James 63,65
Jeremiah 63
John 78c-79c
John 67,68,70,71s-74s,80s84s
Rhodam 63,65
Thomas 79c
William 59,62,63
[1991 "Index to the Tithables of VA,Loudoun-Co & to Slaveholders & Slaves 1758-1786" by Margaret Lail HOPKINS, Library of Congress #91-74046 isb#0-8063-1320-X].

1765 Ignatious appears on the Tithable List for VA,Loudon-Co.

1767 Part of VA,Halifax-Co went into the formation of VA,Pittsylvania-Co.

1774 Tax list by Benjamin CLEAVLAND for NC,Surry-Co (now NC,Wilkes-Co)
includes James REDMON & Ignasus REDMON (is this him?).

1775 VA,Pittsylvania-Co deed of George CHADWELL mentions "John REDMAN, son of Ignatius REDMAN".

1777 "Ignatius REDMOND" appears on James MORTON's List for Oath of Allegiance in VA,Pittsylvania-Co [1985/02 "Magazine of Virginia Genealogy" v23 #1 p7 (VA,Pittsylvania-Co Oath of Allegiance)].

1778 Part of VA,Pittsylvania-Co (Halifax, Lunenburg) went into the formation of VA,Henry-Co.

1780-1784 Ignatious was listed in the VA,Henry-Co tithes.

1782 VA,Henry-Co Personal Property Tax List:
Name Tithes Negroes Horses Cattle
REDMOND Ignatious 1 0 1 5
REDMOND Rhodum 1 0 1 0.

1787/04/09 "A poll taken of a section of Delegates at VA,Henry-Co Courthouse this 9th of April 1787 for Abraham PENN, Esq." with 220 names included #102 Ignatious REDMAN [VA,Henry-Co Deed book#1 p530 inserted between p530-531].

1790 VA,Henry-Co Personal Property Tax List B:
Ignatious REDMAN p15
Rodham REDMAN p16.

1790-1791 Part of VA,Henry-Co went into the formation of VA,Patrick-Co.

1804/10/25 Ignatious served on a grand jury of inquest [VA,Patrick-Co Court Order book#1].

1806 A portion of western VA,Patrick-Co was annexed to VA,Grayson-Co (from Wythe [Montgomery] & eventually became part of present day VA,Carroll-Co).

1809/10/05 Court case: James Smith & Company vs. Ignatious REDMAN [1809/05-1831/06 VA,Patrick-Co Superior Court Order Book p4,8,11 - Honorable Paul CARRINGTON, Judge].

1811/05/11 James Smith & Company vs. Ignatious REDMAN in debt - cause abates by defendant's death [ibid. p11].

------

> What year was your Mary Redman born?

It was somebody else that was looking for a Mary REDMAN.

> I have found notes on several Redman families
> that do not appear to be connected to mine.

Yes there are many including those whose ancestry is
Irish, Germanic, American-Indian & African-American.

Thanks for sharing info :)

NICOLE

Administrator of the REDMOND & variant surnames DNA Project at
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/redmond

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 6:34PM GMT

> On 1745\6/03/08 that Last Will was probated in MD & mentioned:
> wife Rebecca & children -

Sorry but in the above section I forgot to include that his father's Will included a child called Nassy.

NICOLE

Posted: 6 Mar 2010 6:09AM GMT
I am Deanne Mayle-Zwerk. Mary Elizabeth Redman Mayle was my grandmother. She died when I was quite young of cancer. my father was Robert Mayle. He died in 1992. My aunt Virginia just died two weeks ago. And we lost Uncle Kenny last march.They are all gone now. Are you Sherry's child by any chance?? I know that she just met alot of us at aunt Virginia's funeral.I met her also. My cousin,Jalaine introduced her to me & my sister Debi.
I am so sorry that I don't know that much. I questioned my aunt about family members but she claimed she couldn't remember any thing.She was close to 90. recently.
Do you have pictures of anyone? If not I could see if we have any. when my mother died in 2007 I got some of her pictures over the yrs.I would like to hear from you again. Deanne

Posted: 6 Mar 2010 6:22AM GMT
I forgot to mention there were 9 children that grandpa Mayle & grandma Mayle had not 8. Grandma died in Michigan as far as I know although being quite small information was keept from me & debi until she died.Deanne Mayle-Zwerk
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.