Search for content in message boards

Monticello (Jefferson's home) during the Levy period 1834-1880s

Monticello (Jefferson's home) during the Levy period 1834-1880s

Posted: 20 Jun 2007 12:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am researching the local residents of Monticello (Jefferson's home) during the Levy period. The Levy family itself has been researched I am researching the locals that were there.

Re: Monticello (Jefferson's home) during the Levy period 1834-1880s

Posted: 6 Aug 2007 9:32PM GMT
Surnames: Darnell,Clarkson
The names that I am interested in are,Menoah Clarkson, Moses Darnell. Menoah Clarkson was overseer for Thomas Jefferson. BJLocke

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 1:44PM GMT
Surnames: Whites: Wheeler, Bailey, Clarkson African-American: West, Dickerson, Shelton, Henderson, Harvey, Coleman, Watson, Johnson, Barbour
Farm managers:
Ira Chapman Garrison (mgr Monticello by 1853 to 1860?)
Joel N. Wheeler (mgr 1860-1878)
Unknown several mgrs (1879-1888)
Thomas Rhodes (1888-1923+)
Slaves of Uriah Levy:
John West & Aggy Dickerson (she was the cook for Uriah Levy)
Others possibly Henderson, Carey
Slaves of Joel Wheeler who came to Monticello in 1860 from Round Top the farm of Benjamin Randolph (grandson of Jefferson where Wheeler had been mgr in 1840s-1850s)
Beverly Watson (he was a slave of Ben Randolph while his wife was a slave of Joel Wheeler)
Colemans: Thomas coleman who died at Monticello in 1888 and his son Tom Coleman Jr. Amanda Coleman who married Lewis Harvey was related.
Johnsons: There were 10, of which 2 are known Frederick Johnson and Mary Johnson who first married William Barbour and secondly Reuben Barbour
Others at Monticello after the war: Richardson, Carey, Henderson, and Willis Shelton (who married Martha West a former slave of Uriah Levy
Other Whites: Clarkson (niece-Martha and nephew-DR.David Clarkson, M.D.) of Mrs. Wheeler)
Bailey (James Bailey was Wheeler's adopted son.

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 1:49PM GMT
Surnames: Clarkson
This is probably a coincidence of names but a Martha Clarkson and David Clarkson lived at Monticello in the 1870s. They were children of Isaac Smith Clarkson & Susan Hobday (who was a sister of Martha Hobday Wheeler the wife of Joel N. Wheeler). Isaac Smith Clarkson was a son of David Clarkson of Albemarle (Rev Soldier) who married Phoebe Smith. David Clarkson was a son of Anselm Clarkson b 1735 & Nancy (Meriwether?) of Louisa Co.

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 7:58PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Jefferson
I had a gr aunt by marriage Molly Jefferson Brown apprx. DOB 1890 of Gordonsville who said that Thomas Jefferson was her grnfhter ?. She came from the Shadwell area her parents 1st names escape me now but can find out .Some of her children(Browns) are alive in Gordonsville . I was courious as to whether there were other African Americans documented or claiming descendecy besides the Hemmings.What is the Levy period ?

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 7:59PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Jefferson
I had a gr aunt by marriage Molly Jefferson Brown apprx. DOB 1890 of Gordonsville who said that Thomas Jefferson was her grnfhter ?. She came from the Shadwell area her parents 1st names escape me now but can find out .Some of her children(Browns) are alive in Gordonsville . I was courious as to whether there were other African Americans documented or claiming descendecy besides the Hemmings.What is the Levy period ?

Posted: 8 Aug 2007 12:39PM GMT
Uriah Levy bought Monticello in 1834. He held it until 1862 when he died during the Civil War. He house was in a will dispute until 1879. In 1879 Jefferson Levy (a nephew of Uriah Levy) bought out all other heirs and he held title until 1923 when he sold the house to T.J.M.F. that owns it now. So I am researching the locals who lived at Monticello pre and post civil war era. I doubt that I can find anything new on the Levy family themselves but the two books (Leepson & Urofsky) didn't get into researching the African-Americans during the Levy period.

Posted: 21 Mar 2010 10:48PM GMT
My father passed down an oral history that we were descendants of Thomas Jefferson and one of his slaves. But the name of the slave I do not recall him mentioning. As of yet I have not been able to make the connection.

Posted: 21 Mar 2010 10:52PM GMT
Is Carey a first name of a slave or a last name here?

Posted: 21 Mar 2010 11:00PM GMT
During what years were members of the Page family gate keepers at Monticello?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.