Search for content in message boards

THORNE family in Newfoundland

THORNE family in Newfoundland

Posted: 2 Nov 2009 7:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to put together the various Thorne family members from Torbay, Newfoundland. While I have gathered a lot of information, I am unsure of who belongs to who! Anyone researching the Thorne family who can help in any way, please do. Maybe I have something to give back.

Trishe

Re: THORNE family in Newfoundland

Posted: 21 Dec 2009 12:14AM GMT
I am researching the Thorne family from the Trinity Bay area. The oldest known names I have are James and Lousia Thorne dating back to late 1800's. Who knows, there may be a link.

Ed

Posted: 21 Dec 2009 12:59AM GMT
Hi Ed:

There may very well be a link somewhere, as quite a few of the Torbay families moved away to start homes. I have a John Thorne born abt 1867 married Louisa Unknown, born abt 1866, but they were in Torbay in 1935 and are buried in St. John's.
The Thorne's, Codner's, Eustace's & Field's are all interelated and i am attempting to figure out each family line.
Trishe

Posted: 21 Dec 2009 1:15AM GMT
Hey Trishe, when it comes to genealogy, no lead is a bad lead. My other surnames include Barnes, Stacey, and Goulding. Most from either Trinity Bay or Central. Many Thorne's still populate the Trinity Bay area. We may link up yet!!

Ed

Posted: 21 Dec 2009 2:48AM GMT
I'll keep those surnames in mind when I'm searching. My main area is around St. John's, Torbay, Petty Harbour, but as you say, you never know, and I have found people in the Trinity area as well. They were mainly fishermen and the boats would go where the fish went.

It'd be great if we could link up!

Trishe

Posted: 9 Jul 2010 5:25AM GMT
Hi my great grandfather was Thomas Walter Thorne born in Newfoundland in 1844. He was from a very large family of Thornes and his father was Charles Nuttall Thorne. If it is the same family would love to hear from you. Thomas Walter Thorne married Agnes McKellar in London in 1872. Looking forward to your reply

Posted: 9 Jul 2010 12:30PM GMT
Hi, I am related to Thomas Walter Thorne as my grandfather was his brother George.
Ray Thorne

Posted: 9 Jul 2010 3:49PM GMT
You have me beat here. I do have Charles, George & at least Walter as family names with my Thorne's but do not - yet - have a connection with yours. Ray, was your grandfather George born in Torbay? There is still a lot I have to learn about the Thorne family and to connect them all.

Trishe

Posted: 12 Jul 2010 9:43AM GMT
Hi Trish - I am the grand-daughter of Vincent Talmage Thorne. How far have you been able to go back - I may have some information of great interest to you. Mary

Posted: 15 Jul 2010 7:26AM GMT
Trishe, The only Thorne connection I have in Newfoundland was Charles Nuttall Thorne who married a locally born lady in Harbour Grace. He was born in Bristol, England and later emigrated in 1847 to Australia. Only one of his children was born in Nfld. Thomas Walter Thorne. George, his brother I referred to, was born in Geelong, Australia. There were numerous Thorne families in Devon but mine came from a Richard born about 1685 of Bushton, West Buckland, Devon.His grandson Walter was from Lankey and we are from his son Thomas' line.
Ray
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.