Search for content in message boards

Ancestors of Rose Elizabeth Fitzgerald

Ancestors of Rose Elizabeth Fitzgerald

Bradley Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2000 3:03PM GMT
I am searching for information on the Ancestors of Rose Elizabeth Fitzgerald. Rose was born in Ireland and she was married to Joseph Patrick Kennedy. Joseph Rose (Fitzgerald) Kennedy raised 9 children.

I would like to know also is that Rose's ancestors came from the dukes earls Of Kildare? Any information about this, I would appreciate it. I would like to be contacted at my e-mail address which is jonson1@gte.net Thank you.

Rose Elizabeth Fitzgerald

Veronica McKelvie (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2000 9:12PM GMT
Her father was John Francis "Honey Fitz" born Feb 11, 1863 died Oct 3, 1950.
I have information regarding John Francis his parents and siblings if this would help you out :)

Veronica McKelvie (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2000 9:34PM GMT
Her father was John Francis "Honey Fitz" born Feb 11, 1863 died Oct 3, 1950.
I have information regarding John Francis his parents and siblings if this would help you out :)

Bradley Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2000 2:46PM GMT
I am searching for information on the parents siblings for John Francis "Honey Fitz" Fitzgerald. He immigrated from Ireland to Boston, Massachusetts. I would like to be contacted at jonson1@gte.net Thank you.

Thomas Fitzgerald

Posted: 30 Sep 2000 4:25PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 4:59PM GMT
Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy is the daughter of John Francis "Honey Fitz" Fitzgerald, who is the son of Thomas Fitzgerald and Roseanne Cox, and I believe they came from western Ireland. (I just can't remember which county off-hand). I do remember that Honey Fitz's wife was his second cousin (their grandfathers were brothers Michael and Edward).
~~~
Thomas Fitzgerald 1822 to May 19, 1885
married to Rosanna Cox 1834-1879
children:
Michael J Fitzgerald 1864-1925
James T Fitzgerald 1860-1950
Thomas J Fitzgerald 1861-1893
John Francis Fitzgerald February 11, 1863- October 3 1950
William S Fitzgerald 1865-1899
Edward C Fitzgerald 1867-1940
Joseph A Fitzgerald 1868-1920
Ellen R Fitzgerald 1870-1870
George F Fitzgerald 1871-1914
Henry S Fitzgerald 1875-1955
Mary Ellen Fitzgerald 1879-1879
~~~
I would recommend you read the book..."The Fitzgeralds and The Kennedys :An American Saga". It was written by Doris Kearns Goodwin and was published by Simon Schuster in 1987. There is a Fitzgerald family tree in the front of the book.
The book can be borrowed from any public library and is also "still in print" (can be purchased).
Bye for now,
Kathleen

Re: Rose Elizabeth Fitzgerald

Lisa Tyler (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2002 2:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
I would like information on Honey Fitzgerald. Somehow he is supposed to be related to Loretta Stackpole. Icannot make out the exact connection. What I need is a list of all his cousins. I would information anyone can give me.

Charles Harrington (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2002 1:58PM GMT
I am also interested in this Fitzgerald line. My father's (john Harrington) maternal grandmother was Katherine Fitzgerald, I am told she was a cousin to the 'Honey-Fitz' Fitzgeralds in Boston. She was from the Back Bay area of Boston and married a John? Leonard, they had children (4) all aorund the turn of the century, which would put thier births approx 1870-1880. The Leonard family into which she married were originally from Prince Edward Island in Canada.
Any connections???

Posted: 16 Nov 2002 9:17AM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2006 10:19PM GMT
Hi there,
Over the 30+ years that I've been tracking my Fitzgerald line I've lost track of how many times people with a Fitzgerald branch on their tree have told me that their line traces back to a Fitzgerald who lived in Massachusetts, probably Boston, back to the 1800s.
And it's certainly understandable.
Boston was one of the major "Irish Immigrant Trap" cities in the USA during the potatoe famine era of the mid-1800s.
According to the 1880 US census there were at least:
3377 FITZGERALDs living in the state of Massachusetts alone, with nearly a third (1044) of them
living in the city of Boston.
A third (348) of those Boston FITZGERALDs listed their place of birth as Ireland, while most of the other Fitzgeralds were the children or grandchildren of Irish immigrants.
In fact, the majority of the "US born" FITZGERALDs living in Massachusetts period in the 1880 census were listed with at least one parent or grandparent born in Ireland.
~
Likewise, you can almost expect to turn up a Thomas, James, William, John, Mary, Bridget, Hannah, Ellen, etc in your pre-1900 Fitzgerald line as well. These were extremely common names among Irish families.
Example:
In 1880 there were at least:
137 Thomas FITZGERALDs living in Massachusetts, with
52 of those listed as born in Ireland.
42 of the 137 lived in the city of Boston and
13 of those Thomas Fitzgeralds living in Boston listed their place of birth as Ireland
~
299 John FITZGERALDs living in Massachusetts, with
111 of those listed as born in Ireland.
96 of the 299 lived in the city of Boston and
31 of those John Fitzgeralds living in Boston listed their place of birth as Ireland
~
141 Ellen FITZGERALDs living in Massachusetts, with
71 of those listed as born in Ireland.
40 of the 141 lived in the city of Boston and
18 of those Ellen Fitzgeralds living in Boston listed their place of birth as Ireland
~
469 Mary FITZGERALDs living in Massachusetts, with
215 of those listed as born in Ireland.
130 of the lived in the city of Boston and
43 of those Mary Fitzgeralds living in Boston listed their place of birth as Ireland
~
Oviously not all these thousands of Fitzgeralds in Massachusetts were closely related, so Fitzgerald researchers have to be especially carefull when tracking their line there (or in New York) during the 1800s.
Best of luck....
Bye for now,
Kathleen Fitzgerald

Posted: 16 Nov 2002 10:27AM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2006 10:19PM GMT
Hi there Bradley,
You said:
"...I am searching for information on the parents, siblings for John Francis "Honey Fitz" Fitzgerald. He immigrated from Ireland ......."
~
Rose Elizabeth Fitzgerald, mother of Pres. John Fitzgerald Kennedy was born July 22,1890 in Boston, Suffolk Co. Massachusetts.
Rose's father is:
John Francis "Honey Fitz" Fitzgerald, born: Feb.11, 1863 in Boston, Suffolk Co. Massachusetts, died Oct.1950 in Boston. John is the s/o Thomas Fitzgerald of Bruff, County Limerick, Ireland and Rosanna Cox, also of Ireland.
Rose's mother is:
Mary Josephine "Josie" Hannon, born 1865 in Acton, Suffolk Co. Massachusetts, died 1964. "Josie" is the d/o Michael Hannon & Mary Ann Fitzgerald (1st cousin of Thomas Fitzgerald)
~
John Francis "Honey Fitz" Fitzgerald's siblings (all born in Boston) are:
Michael 1858 ~ 1860, never married
James T. 1860 ~ 1950, married __?__
Thomas J. 1861 ~ 1893, may not have married
Michael J. 1864 ~ 1925, married Elizabeth T. Degnan
William S. 1865 ~ 1899, may not have married
Edward C. 1867 ~ 1940, never married
Joseph A. 1868 ~ 1920, never married
Ellen R. 1870 ~ 1870, never married
George F. 1871 ~ 1914, married "Lizzie" __?__
Henry S. 1875 ~ 1955, married Margaret Herlihy
Mary E. 1879 ~ 1879, never married
John's mother Rosanna died in 1879 while pregnant with her 13th child.
Bye for now,
Kathleen Fitzgerald

Charles Harrington (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2002 4:55PM GMT
Hello and thanks for the reply, no doubt there were an abundance of Fitzgeralds in Boston in the late 1800's.

My own Fitzgeralds also originated from Ireland, however they made a stop for one generation at Prince Edward Island in Canada. Catherine Fitzgerald b.1873 on Prince Edward Island emigrated to Boston in the mid 1890's with her two sisters, Martha and Priscilla.
Catherine gained employment in the back bay area of Boston as a dressmaker, her sisters moved on to Newton Mass where they worked as domestics.
Catherine met Patrick Leonard just before the turn of the century, they married and lived for a time on St. Botolph St in the back bay area of Boston, before moving on to the Brighton area, specifically Oak Square Ave in Brighton.
My grandmother Regina Leonard was thier daughter. she met and married John Joseph Harrington of Brighton Mass, about 1920 and they had three children, the middle child being my father, John J. Harrington Jr.
My father has passed on, but his two sisters remain and both have told me that thier grandmother (Catherine Fitzgerald) was a cousin to Honey Fitz the mayor and that she had well to do family living in the back bay.
I'm still continuing to explore this line. I belive her mother Mary Fitzgerald, may have also been born on Prince edward Island, unfortunately I do not yet have her maided name. Her Father is also a bit of a mystery, though PEI census records show a Michael Fitzgerald living in the same place with Catherine when she was an 8 year old girl. He is shown however to be in his early fifties, and may in fact be her grandfather.
Its all fascinating to me!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.