Search for content in message boards

Colony, Laurel, Kentucky

Colony, Laurel, Kentucky

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 2:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McChesney,
I have a record of my 4G grandmother, Isabella, being born in Colony, Laurel, Kentucky in 1730. I thought this wasn't possible because there were no colonies in Kentucky at that time. But when I search Google for "Colony, Laurel, Kentucky" I find people being born there in the late 1680s and 90s. Does anyone know of this place?

My Grandmother Isabella married Walter McChesney somtime either in the late 1740s or early 1750s. First son born abt 1752 -- Samuel McChesney, then Jane, then Mary Polly.

If anyone has any information about Colony, Laurel, Kentucky in 1730 - 50, or if it even existed, please let me know.
Thanks, GracieB

Re: Colony, Laurel, Kentucky

Posted: 25 Nov 2010 2:50AM GMT
Hello,

Laurel County, Kentucky was formed from parts of Clay and Knox Co.'s, KY in 1825. Clay had been formed earlier in 1806. Knox was formed in 1800.

Kentucky County, Virginia into being in 1776 which was a part of the State of Virginia. Things continued to evolve from there. in 1777 Fincastle County was formed from Washington, Montgomery and Kentucky Counties.

The Commonwealth or State of Kentucky simply did NOT exist as such in the early 1730's or earlier in the 1600's.

Simply go to your favorite search engine and type in: Kentucky+County+formations plus Kentucky+formation to learn
much more.

Joyce Taylor Collins
La Palma, CA

Posted: 25 Nov 2010 3:12AM GMT
Joyce, thank you so much for your response. I have a lead now. I went to google and put in the string you gave me, and boop! Got a lot more info.

Again, Thanks!!

Posted: 25 Nov 2010 3:35AM GMT
Hi,

You can probably see there is a present "Colony" or Swiss Colony in Laurel Co., KY.

Good luck to you.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Joyce Taylor Collins
La Palma, CA

Posted: 8 Sep 2011 2:34AM GMT
Surnames: Radford
GracieB,
My ancestor was John Radford who came from Devon, England and shortly after arriving in VA he went into KY and stayed. He died in what became Colony, Laurel Co., KY
If you look up info on Col. Abraham Wood you will see that he went on an expedition into KY wilderness around 1671. I guess it might be possible that my John Radford might have been on that expedition but I need to research that. Of course it was still part of Virgina at that time. What is remarkable is that 9 states were made out of Virginia eventually.

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 4:04AM GMT
Surnames: Dennett, Barber
My ancestor Mary Dennett was born in Colony, Laurel, KY in 1635 and then died there in 1653. I need to do more research about being the parent of my William Barber because he was born in 1640 and that doesn't make any sense if Mary Dennett is his mother. But the Colon, Laurel, Kentucky placing is very eyecatching.

Posted: 23 Aug 2013 2:54AM GMT
Surnames: McChesney, Young, Asher, Stevenson / Stephenson
Thank you so much for this reply. It seems that yes, it is possible that Isabelle (maiden name unknown) could have been born in Laurel, Kentucky in 1730ish judging from your replies. She married Walter McChesney about 1760's and had 3 children, only one recorded born in 1772 Rockbridge, VA (Borden's Tract) -- their son Walter, Jr.

Where did they marry? When did Walter Sr. come from Northern Ireland (relatives from Armagh, Ulster) arrived in 1770 in VA.

Well, I'm still working on this mystery, but somehow, someway, I will meet someone who has information that can help me.

Posted: 23 Aug 2013 3:42AM GMT
I have seen a little bit more on the Kentucky County after sending you my query. I was looking at a posted multi-volume history of VA families (Jacob Hite is an ancestor) and Jacob Froman was a Hite in-law offspring. Anyway, there is discussion of the County over the Blue Ridge. This was before WV and KY were created out of the Western portion of the original VA. (Colonial Families of the United States of America) He is in volume IV. John Jacob Bowman was referred to as the first County Lieutenant of KY... So originally, KY was referred to as a County of VA.

Posted: 23 Aug 2013 3:49AM GMT
It is also possible that Jacob Hite's colony of 180,000 acres might be the particular colony referred to. That is pure speculation. There was a litigation about his land grants with Lord Fairfax that started in 1734 and lasted until after his death. Have to explore this. He had to originally settle 100 families right away to fulfill the terms of the original grants. And this was very early in Shenandoah history.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.