Search for content in message boards

PHILPOT, BENGE and BOWLIN surnames - Clay Co., KY

PHILPOT, BENGE and BOWLIN surnames - Clay Co., KY

Posted: 31 Aug 2006 10:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Nov 2006 12:23AM GMT
I offered to help my sister-in-law Virginia Philpot find information on her relatives in Clay Co., KY. Here is a bit of information:

Her grandfather was Bill Philpot most probably William. Bill was born 28 Aug 1880; died 25 Aug 1938. Bill Philpot married Lucy Bowling (Bowlin?) in Manchester. Lucy was born 13 Mar 1880 in Clay Co., KY and died 14 July 1958. Bill and Lucy had Lawrence Philpot who married Agnes Benge 7 Apr 1934 in Clay Co., KY. Agnes Benge had two brothers Tom and Henry Benge. Agnes Benge's mother was Ella Benge who had a boarding house across the street from the courthouse.

Do you recognize any names?

Please e-mail me at: jlannom@fuse.net if you can identify any above names. Thank you.

Carole Lannom

Re: PHILPOT, BENGE and BOWLIN surnames - Clay Co., KY

joycecollins (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2006 4:08AM GMT
Hello,

I am not related so far as I know. I do think your sister-in-law needs to be prepared to do some work on her own or to put forth some effort and expense on her own. Perhaps if she doesn't use a computer, I can understand her possible reluctance.

It is possible this "might" be him. Dates are generally off by a year and often more. She should, if she has not done so, order the death cert on her grandfather in the hopes of verifying his parrents.

1900 Clay Co., KY
Dwelling 165-167
PHILPOT, James, head, b. 1875, 25, mar. 2 times, b. KY; parents b. KY - farmer
. .Martha, wife, b. 3-1883, 17, mar. 2 times, 1 born; l living, b. kY; parents b. KY
. .Rosa B., dau, b. 7-1899, 10 months, b. KY
. . Halie, "MOTHER", b. unknown; age : unknown, b. KY; parents b. KY
. . Matilda, sister, b. 4-1877, 23, single, b. KY
. .Tamsey, sister, b. 12-1878, 21, single, b. KY
. .Betsie, sister, b. 3-1883, 17, single, b. KY
. .Faris, brother, b. 2-1880, 20, single, b. KY-farm labor
. .William, brother, b. 8-1881, 18, b. KY= farm labor* * * *
. .Fred, brother, b. 1-1888, 12, b. KY=farm labor

On the 1870, this "appears" to be Halie with her husband:

Dwelling 96
PHILPOT, Thomas, 34, farmer
. .Mahala, 24
. .Matilda, 3
. .Tamsey, 1
SMITH, Margarett, 15 - domestic servant

NOTE: Per Clay Co. Marriage Index: Mahala BOWLIn mar. Thomas PHILPOT in Clay Co., KY on 11-27-1864

Don't quite know who the James PHILPOT is though since he doesn't appear on the 1870 with her.

Here is the marriage record which could be ordered from the court clerk in Clay Co.

PHILPOT, Wm. to BOWLING, Lucy on 26 October 1905, File 33

This could be the marriage between Martha UNK. and James PHILPOT:
13 Jan 1898
PHILPOT, James to BOWLING, Martha, File 29

Here is the marriage record info for Lawrence PHILPOT to Agnes BENGE:
Lawrence, no age given; b. Clay Co., KY married Agnes BENGE, no age given b. NOT GIVEN; married April 7, 1934 in Clay Co., KY - Bk 26P1 -
Other information on this marriage: Lawrence was single; agnes was a single person. His parents were: Wm. "Black Bill" PHILPOT and Lucy BOWlING. Her parents were : an unknown BENGE and Eller GREER
NOTE: This is from the marriage index sold by Maggie BOWLING and Sylvia HARDWICK entitled "Clay County Marriage Book - marriages 1924 - 1934.

I also see that Agnes BENGE had Lucile PHILPOT on 3-27-1935 in Clay Co., KY

Hope some of this helps to get you and her started.

Joyce Taylor Collins
La Palma, CA

Re: PHILPOT, BENGE and BOWLIN surnames - Clay Co., KY

Posted: 30 Mar 2009 3:34AM GMT
Surnames: benge, cornett, benge, mayfield, owens, bowling, philpot, hayre
If you are still interested I have info:
Lucy Bowling b 1880 was d/o George Philpot and Nancy Bowling(they were never married though they had 3 children, Hopper b 1874, Lucy 1880 and Mary 1877-George was married to Catherine Hayre-probably while fathering these children)Mary married John Mayfield (see note below abt Lewis Franklin Benge and Margarett Cornett's relationship to JOhn Mayfield) these are my grt grt grnadparents, their son Hopper Mayfield married Eliza Jane Lewis and my grandpa Chester was one of Hopper Mayfield and Eliza's sons.
I found birth cert for Lawrence Philpot to Lucy Bowlen and William Philpot on May 23, 1910.

I found Ella Benge b. 1877 as d/o Daniel Benge and wife Mary in the 1900 census They are next door to Nancy(who is using the last name of Philpot not Bowling)and Hopper Bowling(listed above) Hopper Bowling married Amelia Philpot d/o Stephen Philpot and Adaline Bennett.
---Ella Benge was daniel Boone Benge's daughter and Mary Stivers, Daniels's father was Lewis Franklin Benge b 1805(s/o King david) and Margarette Cornett. Lewis Franklin & Margarette's daughter Nancy was JOhn Mayfield's mother (John listed above is married to Mary Bowling, your Lucy's sister)

IN 1910 Ella Benge age 26 lives on Manchester street in London with Thomas Baker(hard to read) family Thomas age 42 is a Retailer Merchant, Mary J 41 wife, Gilbert 18 son clerk in retail store, Minnie 15 daughter, Garland Eversole (hard to read) 20 married 1 time and shown as brother in law(but I don't see a daughter here that he is married to , Minnie is only 15!!) Garland is listed as a clerk in retail store, and Ella Benge 26 single and working as a cook for private family.

IN 1920 Ella Benge 44 and Agnes age 7 living at Pump Station Setlement, Manchester, Ella is working again as a cook for a private family.

IN 1930 Little Goose Creek Rd
M B Garrison age 77(hard to read) widow working as Post master US Post office
Bobbie Bowling age 31 single general farming
Ella Benge 52 servant single
Anges Benge laborer age 16 single

hope it helps
need more just ask.
Thanks
weschel@mvn.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.