Search for content in message boards

FTM 2010 Won't Open

FTM 2010 Won't Open

Posted: 7 Sep 2009 9:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
I received the new 2010 version of FTM and can not get it to open. I've installed, uninstalled and reinstalled and still receive the same error.

After I click the shortcut to open FTM the box pops up, but it never opens and and error message pops up saying it is not responding and must be closed.

I have versions 16, 2008, and 2009 on my computer. The FTM site indicates there is no conflict with 2009, but I'm not sure if the other versions would cause this problem.

I did request help from FTM about this issue and their response, a week later, was to ask if I installed the software correctly and double click on the shortcut. So I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out.

Thanks

Re: FTM 2010 Won't Open

Posted: 7 Sep 2009 11:15PM GMT
Lisa -

Believe I experienced the same issue you are describing last night. Mine came up saying that FTM had been shut down improperly the last time, and to compact the file. But then once I hit okay up popped another message shortly saying FTM was not working (windows error message). I also uninstalled, re-installed and same issue.

Now this was on my desktop upstairs. My family files are on a network drive so decided to try and open them on my laptop. Same original error about not being closed properly. But then it DID open (thank goodness as I was about to cry). I immediately compacted the file. The laptop has not given me any issues since then (closed and reopened a few times now). The desktop however I've still had no luck with, even now that I've got the file compacted it still is giving me the same errors.

Posted: 8 Sep 2009 1:16AM GMT
Lisa,

What version of Windows are you using?

Are you running Family Tree Maker As Administrator IF you are running Windows Vista?

What is the exact Wording of the Error Message?

There isn't any conflicts between these versions.

Did the Installation Complete? If so, what did you do after the installation?

Russ

Posted: 8 Sep 2009 1:19AM GMT
Tammy,

Are you working on the SAME file from both computers?

What version of Windows are you running on the Laptop and the Desktop?

Russ

Posted: 8 Sep 2009 1:25AM GMT
Hey Russ ~

Yes I use the same file (not at the same time) on both computers.

I have Vista on both the laptop and desktop.

Posted: 8 Sep 2009 1:28AM GMT
Tammy,

Are you running Family Tree Maker As Administrator on your Desktop?

Did you drop the connection to the Network Drive and remap it? If so, did that help?

Russ

Posted: 8 Sep 2009 1:50AM GMT
I am using windows vista.

I have tried opening as administrator.

I am receiving the same message Tammy said she was receiving.

Yes the installation completed.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Lisa

Posted: 8 Sep 2009 1:33PM GMT
Lisa,

When you installed Family Tree Maker, what did you do?

What happened between the time that you successfully installed 2010 and now?

When I am replying to you, I can't see Tammy's error message AND she didn't post the exact wording of the Error Message? Sometimes those details help.

Please make sure that you Run Family Tree Maker As Administrator.

Russ

Posted: 9 Sep 2009 1:21AM GMT
Hey Russ ~

I have tried running FTM as administrator - same error message.

I unmapped the network drive. Then tried to launch the application again (thinking when it couldn't find the file it would just open a blank one) - no such luck.

I remapped - no luck.

Here's what I **THINK** happened. FTM was open on my desktop and I walked away, probably went to bed. Then windows came along and ran one of it's updates automatically and rebooted the desktop. Now I'm getting the error. Sadly - same thing happened with the laptop and word. And on that one too I've tried un-install and re-install with no luck. A friend at work is going to look at it for me later this week. I'll mention to him the desktop/FTM problem too so he can keep that in mind as he tinkers with the laptop.

Lesson learned: CLOSE everything before leaving the computer for an extended period of time. :)

Posted: 9 Sep 2009 2:14AM GMT
What error is appearing in the Windows Event Logs? Many times the answer is there especially if it is a permissions issue or there is a conflict with something.

I would run FTM and wait for the crash. After the crash, open the Windows Event Viewer:

1) Right-click 'My Computer' and select Manage.
2) Open the Event Viewer in the tree on the left
3) Open Windows Logs.
4) Select the Application Log.

Scroll down the Application Log (on the right) and look for the Event Source column to say 'Family Tree Maker' or FTM or something similar. The FTM crash event you are looking for will probably have a red circle and a white exclamation point in it.

Right-click on the event and copy it. You can paste the event log message in this thread. That will help all of us diagnose what the problem may be.

This is also the kind of info that helps the FTM Tech Support wants to have when people report crash issues. It will likely get logged and fixed faster when they have this kind of information and save a lot of follow-up questions and emails in trying to describe the problem.

Hope this helps.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.