Search for content in message boards

Doctor William Robert Hall of Chatham

Doctor William Robert Hall of Chatham

Posted: 5 Jan 2011 5:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Minturn, Hall
Looking for any information on him and/or his family. I know he is buried in Maple Leaf Cemetery and that he was born in 1852 in Richmond Hill, Ontario. He was married to Elizabeth Minturn and had Frederick and Edith Hall for children. Thanks!!

Re: Doctor William Robert Hall of Chatham

Posted: 5 Jan 2011 11:59PM GMT
From Ancestry.ca

Death:
William Robert Hall, died 21 Aug 1915, b Richmond Hill Ont, 63yrs6mos11days, married, physcian, s/o Henry Hall & Elizabeth Lemon, died of hemiplegia, informant: F W Hall of Chatham, Registration # 016687.

Marriage:
Frederick William Hall, b Toronto, 30, s/o Wm Robt Hall MD, & Eleanor Minturn, married Meta Evelyn Wilson, 26, d/o Matthew Wilson, lawyer KC & Annie Atkinson, witn: Jessie K Wilson of Chatham & G Gordon Little of Walkervilee, 17 Apr 1912, Chatham Kent, # 010516.
Cannot find any children of the above as birth only released to 1911.

Edith Margaret Hall, 24, b Chatham, d/o Wm R Hall MD & Eleanor L Mintern, married David McNeil Smith, 32, s/o James W Smith, farmer & Margaret Grant, witn: Mary M Campbell of Minneapolis USA & James Herbert Smith of Coaticook Quebec, 1 Jan 1913, Chatham Kent # 007126.

1901 census Chatham Kent County
HALL
Wm R, physician, 10 Feb 1852, 49, Ontario
Eleanor, 6 June 1868, 42, Ont
Fred, 3 Feb 1882, 19, Ont
Edith, 30 Jan 1888,13, Ont
Maggie Emery, servant, 20 June 1878, 22, Ont

1891 census Chatham Kent
HALL
Dr W R, 37, doctor, Ont
Eleanor, 30, Ont
F W, 9, Ont
Edith M, 3, Ont
Edith Hambley, domestic, 18, b Quebec

Cannot find them on 1881 census. Perhaps he is in US at medical school? Fred was born Toronto in 1882.

1871 census Markham York East
HALL
Hamilton, 60, b USA, hotel keeper
Sarah, 49, Ireland
William, 19, Ont
Francis A, 18, Ont
Lucy, 14, Ont
Edwin C, 11, Ont

Don't know for sure that this is your William but Markham is close to Richmond Hill where he was born. It doesn't say if he is a student.

1861 census Markham York County
HALL
Hamilton, hotelkeeper, b Rome NY, 50
Sarah, Ireland, 38
Hiram, bar keeper, b Markham, 19
Alvin, b Markham, 18
Wm, b Markhamk, 9
Francis A, Markham, 5
Lucitis, Markham, 4
Edwin C, Markham, 1

Hamilton, Sarah, Lucy, Edwin C and Elvira A H Lachey b Jan are on 1881 census still in Markham.
www.familysearch.org

Don't see any marriage for Wm and Eleanor on Ancestry.ca

Death:
Sarah Hall, widow, 76, died 27 Jan 1896, b Ireland, died of colon stricture, Markham York County, # 022662.

Don't see a death rego for Hamilton Hall.

http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/search.php
The above site is a headstone index. Some of your Halls are buried in Markham. The site will tell you how to contact the cemetery.

Marriage;
Lucy Hall, 24, d/o Hamilton & Sarah married Charles Buerb?, 30, witn: Franklin Bainbridge & Charlotte Cookeley both of Markham, at Markham, # 013246.

Edwin Charles Hall, 30, b Markham, living Chicago USA, merchant, s/o Hamilton Hall & Sarah Anderson, married Mary Elizabeth Graham, 28, witn: William H Hall & Elizabeth Simmonds both of Markham, 16 Apr 1890 at Markham, # 013565.

Posted: 6 Jan 2011 2:23AM GMT
Thank you so much, I really appreciate all your help! Not sure about the Hamilton Hall bunch- but I am going to look into it more and see!
Is there an archives in Kent county as maybe they would have pictures of him.

Thanks again!

Posted: 19 Feb 2011 7:10PM GMT
He was my great-grandfather. His son, Fred, married Meta Evelyn Wilson (daughter of Matthew Wilson of Chatham), children were my father William Wilson Hall and my aunt Marsden Eleanor Hall. My father William married Phyllis Mary Tarr of Sydney MInes, Nova Scotia. Their children are Frederick John Hall d.o.b. 1946), myself, David Wilson Hall (1949), Geoffrey William Hall (1951) and our sole sister Meta Elizabeth Hall (1953).
I am working on compiling a complete & up to date family tree & would be happy to share with you in a while. Any particulars you have on William Hall in or before his Richmond Hill days would be welcome.

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 3:41PM GMT
Oh my goodness! That is exciting! Your gr grandfather was brother to my gr gr grandfather, Dr James Langstaff Hall, who died in Victoria BC when my gr grandmother was 6 months old. He was sent back to Blenheim and is buried there with his parents. My gr grandmother, Elizabeth Langstaff Hall was raised in Victoria, BC.by her widowed mother, who never did remarry.My gr grandmother Elizabeth married an englishman and they had my grandfather, Adrian in 1918. Unfortunatly, we have no pictures of James Langstaff or his family except for what we have located in newspapers and such. Where are you located? Are you in Ontario also? I have met one other distant cousin in the Hall family, grandson of Duncan Bell Hall- but I think that there was a rift in the family as he couldn't tell me very much about the rest of the Hall family. I would be more than happy to share what information I do have with you when ever you would like! My direct email is fiveandone@rogers.com if you would like. I look forward to hearing from you again!
Cheers,
Liz

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 11:15PM GMT
Hi Liz,
I repled to your Rogers account, but thought I'd let you know here, just in case it doesn;t get to you. Hope to hear from you soon.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.