Search for content in message boards

McLellan McLean Nova Scotia 1840-1900+

McLellan McLean Nova Scotia 1840-1900+

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 1:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McLellan McLean
John McLellan (son of John, brother of Duncan [my line]) married Christy Ann McLean in Antigonish April 1866. She was born in Keppoch and her parents MIGHT have been Archibald and Margaret.

John and Christy had 7 children as of 1881 Pictou census (John's widowed mother (also Christy, 70 y.o.) was living with them. John and Christy born circa 1843.
Kids:
Margaret M (or J) b. 5Mar1867
Archibald L. b. 2May1868
Christina Bell b. ca 1870
Elizabeth b. ca 1873
John D. b. ca 1875
Alexander b. ca 1878
Catherine b. ca 1880

Any info on descendants or ancestors of this family appreciated.

Nick

Re: McLellan McLean Nova Scotia 1840-1900+

Posted: 15 Jul 2007 7:23PM GMT
See my Web Site for my McLELLAN line. Do we connect?
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~hdoherty/

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 10:05AM GMT
Surnames: McLellan, Kidder, Billings
Hello. In my extended KIDDER family in Calais and Princeton, Maine, from 1780's to present, my gr-gr-grandfather was Joseph KIDDER (a Civil War veteran). His brother was J. Calvin KIDDER who married Mirandaa McLAUGHLIN from a large family in New Brunswick. "Cal, Jr." and Miranda lived in Princeton, Maine, and had many children. One of their daughters at Age 16 had a baby, and the father of the baby was James McLELLAN, who reportedly was born in Nova Scotia. We have never figured out which family he came from -- or whether he could have been related to the McLELLAN family then living in Prineton, Maine.

I haven't thought about this family in a while, but over the weekend someone responded to a McLELLAN posting on the Board at www.genforum.com She wanted to know whether the James McLELLAN who her great-grandmother helped to raise in Princeton, ME.

After e-mailing back and forth yesterday, we discovered that "my" James McLELLAN was born in 1892, and "her" James McLELLAN was born in 1896, probably both in Princeton, ME.

"My" James was probably adopted by his grandparents when he was 8 to 10 years old, as his name was changed to James "Calvin" KIDDER.

"Her" James lived with the BILLINGS family in Princeton.

From memory (at 6 am), I think there was another James McLELLAN born in ~1900 in the same area.

-- I just wondered whether the James McLELLAN who was reportedly born in Nova Scotia was part of any of the families you research from the 1800's. I would guess this James was born around 1870.

Also wonder whether this James was related to the family in Princeton, Maine.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

Posted: 19 Sep 2007 4:28AM GMT
Betty,

I don't think these families are related. James is not a "standard" name in this family although my grt gpa (b circa 1864) was John James.

Posted: 16 Aug 2008 12:08PM GMT
my mclellans came from stevenston ayrshire scotland any connection from jean

Posted: 16 Aug 2008 11:50PM GMT
Don't think so. Best evidence says mine came from Inverness.

Nick
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.