Search for content in message boards

Canadian over-seas Expeditionary Force

Canadian over-seas Expeditionary Force

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 2:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Payne
Regiment number 160717 on ship (NORTHLAND) 5 April 1919 to Halifax Nova Scotia. Are there any records to indicate whether he remained in Canada or returned to England

Re: Canadian over-seas Expeditionary Force

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 5:48AM GMT
Your best bet would be to order his service files:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-130-...

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 3:13PM GMT
Regarding Oliver Payne.
I am researching the lives of three of the PAYNE brothers, all of whom were born in Blockley, Worcestershire, England and emigrated to Calgary, Alberta, Canada in the early 1900s;
• Henry John Payne, born February 4th 1884,
• Oliver Frank Payne, born June 10th 1886, and
• (Charles) Harold Payne, born 1893.

Oliver’s life story has been my main focus but I am very interested in all his siblings as well. He arrived in Canada on March 17th 1911 with his older brother Henry (frequently called “Harry”). Henry initially emigrated to Canada in 1908, probably with cousin Ernest Frederick Ledbetter, but they both returned to England.

The third brother, Harold, emigrated to Canada in 1913 with two cousins, George Readman and the Ernest Frederick Ledbetter who originally went in 1908.

Oliver enlisted in the army in Calgary on October 19th 1915 and served in France where he fought as a scout/sniper in the 50th Battalion. He frequently partnered with Henry Norwest, a famous Metis sniper - one of the top three in the Allied army. Oliver returned to Calgary in April, 1919 for demobilization. He lived out his life in that city.

Oliver married Jane CLARIDGE (of Ascott-under-Wychwood, Oxfordshire, England) in Calgary in November, 1920, only days after she arrived in Canada with her daughter Margaret, then 7 years old. Oliver and Jane had no offspring.

Oliver died in Calgary in 1966 (aged 79).

Jane died in Calgary in 1967 (aged 81).

Margaret died in Calgary in 1985 (aged 72) and was buried in her mother’s grave in Calgary two days later.

I have much more than this and far more detail. I would be pleased to send you, or anyone else interested, a copy of my 7 page summary of Oliver’s life – with two photographs I have of him.

Regarding excellent books - Oliver is referred to in a book by Victor W. Wheeler entitled “The 50th Battalion in No Man’s Land: 50th Canadian Infantry Battalion (Alberta Regiment) CEF 1915-1919” - pages 82, 241 & 242.

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 3:40PM GMT
Surnames: Payne
Hi, Like you I have tried to trace members of the Payne and Readman families. I would love a copy of the summary of Oliver's life and any photographs. My great grandmother was sister to Lavina Readman and Esther Payne. Very interested in what happened to them all after WW1. Thanks J.

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 9:43PM GMT
I have tried to attach the document to this message but evidently as it is not a GEDCOM file it won't take. If you email me at iceman.french@gmail.com I will be reply with it attached. Sorry about that.
Jim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.