Search for content in message boards

Pereira - One name study

Pereira - One name study

Posted: 6 Jul 2001 1:37PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: Pereira
Are there any people in Isreal, that formally or presently have the surname of Pereira ?.
I am very interested in contacting them from the point of view of their history. The name is a Sephardic name from Portugal - as is mine - but as far as I can discern my ancestors came from Goa, in India. (I was born in Kenya). Are there any Indian /Oriental Jews with this surname ?.

Re: Pereira - One name study

Christiano Pereira (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2001 4:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PEREIRA
Hi, I am from Brazil, but my parents came from Portugal.
I know that PEREIRA is a jewish traditional family,
that also lived in Amesterdam during the holocaust.
Many of them died because of PEREIRA jewish name.
That is a fact. I just came from Amesterdam, because
I am really looking foward to discover everything from the
surname PEREIRA,
Can You please tell me what do you know about PEREIRA?

Cliff J Pereira (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2001 2:39PM GMT
Hi or Tudo Bem!

I was actually in Brazil in Jan/Feb this year. Thank you for your request. There are a number of books which deal with the subject of Jews in general. These include the Atlas of Jewish History.

But if you want to know sepcifically about Jewish Pereiras then there is one book in English called "The Cross and the Peartree". This book is about a man called Pereira (actually the author) who traces back his family links to Portugal and Spain.

As you know Pereira is "Pear tree" and there are two coat of arms related to this name one with a Pear tree (the Jewish one) and one with a Florintine Cross (for Chritsians). You may also know that the name was among the Jewish people who lived in Brazil (Pernambuco) during the Dutch occupation and when the Portuguese reconquered NE Brazil the name then went to Surinam, Curacao, Barbados, Jamaica and New York. The first Pereiras in the 1600's in England were also Jewish and were known as "Portuguese Jews".

When the Portuguese/Spanish Jews were forced to convert by King Manuel, they chose Portuguese names - especially those ones related to plants and animals, like Maceira, Oliveira, Pereira, Coelho and Pinto. Many of these people who were then known as "Novo Christao" (New Christains) left Portugal between 1510 and 1530 to live in Southern France, the Spanish province of Navarre, the United Provinces (Holland), Hamburg, Thessaloniki and Istanbul, Brazil, the Azores, Madeira, and even Goa (India).

These people hid their religion and some actually became Christians, especially after the Portuguese Inquisition. There is a book available in Portuguese in Brazil and Portugal about the Inquisition. I will try to get you the name of this book.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions.

Posted: 5 Dec 2001 1:47AM GMT
Hi....

Thanks for your answer.

I am now looking foward to buy the book:
"The Cross and the Peartree".

But, I can't find this book on AMAZON.
Can you help me find this book?

I am very happy for that info, on this book!
My dad and mother has PEREIRA surnames.

Thanks
:-)
Chris

Posted: 5 Dec 2001 9:55AM GMT
Hi, The book The Cross and the Pear Tree is by Victor Perera (the "i" in his name was dropped). Good luck. I do not know where in the world you are, however I managed to buy the book at the Jewish Museum in New York. Perhaps they have a site and you can order it through them.

By the way English is my first language (the second is Kiswhili). My Portuguese is enough to converse simply and get about in Brazil/Portugal, but not for translation. Can you translate something for me if I send it to you by email ?.

Good luck

Posted: 6 Dec 2001 2:01AM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2002 7:50PM GMT
Surnames: Pereira, Bursmith, Wright
to Cliff Pereira: I wonder if you know of any Pereira families in New York City in the mid 19th century? My late sister-in-law, Sylvia Bursmith Wright (1922-1970)'s grandmother was Jenny Pereira y da Sylva (1846-1903) of New York who married Nathan Bursmith about 1861 and had ten children. He died 1881. They lived in Westfield, N.J. I found a number of Pereiras in the US censuses of 1850, 1860 in New York but not Jenny.I also have distant cousins in Hawaii named Perry which was originally Pereira, and who migrated directly from Portugal to Hawaii about 1880. Sincerely, Ted Wright

Posted: 6 Dec 2001 11:44AM GMT
Hi,
Unfortunately I am not based in New York, I am actually in London, England. I have a first cousin in Long Island and my brother lives in Toronto, So I go to the East Coast often. I can suggest however that you try these sites on the enternet :
http://www.sog.org/
http://www.familysearch.org/

Also try the Ancestry.com records of US immigration and births.

Best of luck
Cliff.

Posted: 7 Dec 2001 2:49AM GMT
Hi Cliff,

Thanks for getting in touch with me by email!
I am still looking for this book, "The Cross and the Pear Tree".

I live in Florida for ten years already.
I am now living in Hollywood-FL.

As I told You before, I am brazilian and I don't write in
English well. Let's keep in touch.

Thank You so Much!

Chris

carlos cabral (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2002 5:26PM GMT
I hear all of you people speaking of being of jewish origin and the surname pereira, which is of course caused by vitor perera's cross and the pear tree, but I still dont buy this crap. I myself a first generation portuguese-american have that name in my family as well as every other freaking portuguese in portugal. there are more pereiras in portugal than there are pears in any one country. That name has been in portugal since the beginning of surnames and is too common. I am sure that there werent that many jews in portugal that every other person you meet is a pereira somewhere in their family. That is also true for oliveira and silva surnames which are also some of the most common names in portugal. I would like to read a responding arguement if possible so my e-mail address is a definite welcome.thank you

Cliff Pereira (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2002 11:31AM GMT
Thanks for your message. Actually I do not think for a moment that everyone with the name of Pereira is of Jewish origin. You are right that the name Pereira was in existance before it was adopted by the Sephardim Jews, - a point made in the Cross and the Pear Tree. The book also points out that that this was one name adopted by the Jews, because of its royal association and its commonality in the North of Portugal. My family is from Goa and there is no evidence of Jewish blood going back 2centuries i our family tree. However as Goan Pereiras we do acknowledge Hindu Indian heritage. I have met black, Amerindian, Timorese, Malaysian and even Macanese Pereiras.
However the first Pereiras in Britain, the Netherlands, Ireland, Barbados and New York were Jewish Pereiras. Nobody is claiming all Pereiras are Jews or of Jewish origin, yet many Jewish Pereiras are of Portuguese or Spanish origin.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.