Search for content in message boards

Simmons Family from Mississippi

Simmons Family from Mississippi

Posted: 17 Oct 2004 11:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Simmons
I am looking for information on three brothers of my grandmother. They are Everette E. Simmons born 11/15/1881?, Jefferson Newby Simmons born 4/1/1882? and James Roberts Simmons born 11/12/1884. All were born in Georgia but moved to Attala Co, MS in 1889. Everette was in the military and married Stella unknown, Newby may have married to Mabel Leffel and James may have gone to Calif.

Re: Simmons Family from Mississippi

Maureen (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2004 3:59AM GMT
I have hundreds of Simmons surnames in my family tree, going back to 1615. They started in the Virginia Colony. The records for 1675 on down are accompanied by source references. These Simmons folks migrated down through Georgia to Mississippi and Louisiana. There is way too much information to post here, but I can email you more if you write to me.

Maureen Simmons

Nadine (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2004 6:45PM GMT
I am looking for the parents of Mary Hallie Simmons b.abt.1825 Copiah Co, Mississippi. She married first in 1840 John Manning, and second, in 1844 James Dickens. She and James Dickens moved to Louisiana. Probably settling in Vernon Parish.

Maureen (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2004 3:01AM GMT
Dear Nadine,

Although I have 20 Mary Simmons in my database, I don't think I have yours -- not by the name, date of birth, spouse, nor living in Vernon Parish, LA. I don't have a Manning nor a Dickens.

I have a James Jackson Simmons, b. 1825 in Pike Co., MS, so I checked his family. He had a sister named Mary Polly Simmons, b. 1819, but she m. a man named McClendon.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Posted: 6 Nov 2004 10:00AM GMT
I think we may have the same kin. I am related to Mary Ann Simmons daughter of James H Simmons and Edith Arminda Sparks. Here is a wonderful website that I got tons of leads from. http://www.sparksfamilytree.net/family_tree/wga76.html I know it says Sparks but there is sooo much more to it.
Good Luck Annette Boucher

Tom Roberts (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2004 3:53PM GMT
Annette, thanks for the reply. I could not find any of my ancestors at the web site. My great grandfather James Madison Simmons and family arrived in Attala Co, MS in 1889 from Georgia. Thanks, Tom

Sharon Nichols (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2004 1:53PM GMT
I am descended from James Madison Simmons who was in Mississippi with his & other families before moving on to Monroe Co., Arkansas. Mine was born Jan. 09, 1858. He married Nancy "Nicie" Elizabeth Jones, b. April 18, 1858, in Hall Co., GA. Is this your James Madison Simmons family? Their son, Houston Davis Simmons was my maternal Grandfather.
Sharon Nichols

Tom Roberts (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2004 1:17AM GMT
No, my great grandfather James Madison Simmons was born in 1843 in Monroe Co, GA the son of John William Simmons and Bethiah Middlebrooks. James moved his family to Attala Co, MS in 1889. He was married three times and two of his wives bore him 16 children.

Posted: 25 Feb 2005 3:55AM GMT
Edited: 4 Mar 2005 5:52PM GMT
I have that they settled in Rapides Parish. They are listed in the LAGENWEB under Pioneer Families. Listed as children of theirs is Margaret, William, Jane, Sarah, Nancy, Robert, and Marion. I think my great great grandfather is Robert. If you have any info. about this, I would greatly appreciate you sharing with me.

Nadine (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2005 6:03AM GMT
What I have lists Nancy as having been born in Vernon Parish, but she married in Rapides Parish.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.