Search for content in message boards

James Maxwell of Scotland 1786 - Descendants - Ireland to New York

James Maxwell of Scotland 1786 - Descendants - Ireland to New York

Posted: 9 Oct 2010 6:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Maxwell
I have prepared a document that has all of the specific descendants of James Maxwell's (Scotland 1786) son, Joseph Patrick Maxwell, who was from Co. Meath, Ireland and immigrated to the Newport, New York area. I have little information about James Maxwell's origins in Scotland. I have more information about his son, Joseph Patrick Maxwell, in Ireland. Once stateside, I have so much information about the family line. If you are related, please let me know.

Re: James Maxwell of Scotland 1786 - Descendants - Ireland to New York

Posted: 10 Oct 2010 6:41PM GMT
Hi, my Maxwell's came to the NY area but I have not yet found a link. I would like to know if I could look to see if there are any connections.

Thanks,

Bill

Posted: 10 Oct 2010 11:52PM GMT
Hello, Thanks for your interest. My tree is public on Ancestry.com. Do you have the names of your relatives? Mine are in the Newport, Herkimer County, New York area Upstate. Thanks, Kristin

Posted: 30 Jun 2011 7:21PM GMT
Surnames: Maxwell , Ochiltree
My ancestor is Matthew Ochiltree of Scotland who came to America after the Clearanes. He may have met Mary Maxwell daughter of James on the ship . There were three Maxwell sisters. .I believe James father would be Joseph Patrick of Meats Ireland. possible of the Wm of Jackton and Calderwood, Scotland and Alexander and Jean ..Matthew and Mary finally ended up in VA. They had 5 childen. I do not think Matthew or Mary was born in Ireland..
I would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks..Lu..

Posted: 30 Jun 2011 7:35PM GMT

Ratification in favour of William Maxwell of Jackton and his son
Our sovereign lord, with advice and consent of the estates of parliament, has ratified and approved and, by this act, ratifies and approves the charter and infeftment granted by his majesty, with advice and consent of the commissioners of his majesty's treasury, treasurer depute and other commissioners of his majesty's exchequer, under his majesty's great seal, of the date 26 February last 1672 instant, to his majesty's beloved William Maxwell of Jackton, in liferent, and Alexander Maxwell, his eldest lawful son, procreated between him and the deceased Jean Maxwell, his spouse, and the male heirs lawfully to be procreated of his body, which failing to Thomas Maxwell, his second lawful son, procreated of the said marriage and the male heirs lawfully to be procreated of his body, which failing to the said William Maxwell himself, and the male heirs lawfully to be procreated of his body, in any other lawful marriage, which failing to the other heirs tailzie, provision, successors and assignees therein specified, without any manner of reversion, redemption or regress, of all and whole the lands and barony of Calderwood, comprehending the lands and others underwritten, namely, of all and whole the five pound land of Calderwood, with castle, tower, fortalice, manor place, houses, biggings, yards, orchards, parts, pendicles and pertinents thereof, with the corn mill called Brigmill, astricted multures, sucken and knaveship thereof; all and whole the ten pound land of Jackton, the four pound land of Newlands, the five pound land of Allerton, the twenty shilling land of Greenhills, the five merk land of Taittisthornetoun,† and thirty-three shilling, four penny land of Long Calderwood, with manor place, houses, biggings, yards, orchards, parts, pendicles and all their pertinents, all lying within the parish of Kilbride and sheriffdom of Lanark (under and with the provisions, declarations and restrictions particularly mentioned in the said charter) and that upon the said William Maxwell of Jackton his own resignation, and containing a novodamus and new gift in favour of the said William Maxwell, and of the said Alexander Maxwell, his son, and of the heirs male, tailzie, provision, successors and assignees therein specified (under the provisions therein set down) of all and whole the said lands and barony of Calderwood, comprehending as is before rehearsed, and changing the simple ward holding of the said lands and barony of Calderwood (excepting the five pound land of Calderwood, corn mill and pertinents thereof which are held blench in manner therein specified) in a taxed ward holding, to be held by his majesty, for himself and as prince and stewart of Scotland and his highness's successors, in free barony and taxed ward for ever, for the yearly payment to his majesty, for himself and as prince and stewart of Scotland and his highness's successors for the said lands and barony (excepting as said is) so often as the same shall happen to fall in his majesty's hands, of the sum of 100 merks Scots money, at two terms in the year Whitsunday [May/June] and Martinmas [11 November] by equal portions, during the non-entry, with the like sum of 100 merks money above-written for the relief thereof, and for the marriage of the heirs and successors of the said William Maxwell, the sum of 200 merks money above-specified, and containing a licence and liberty to the heirs of tailzie, provision and successors of the said William and Alexander Maxwell to bruik and possess the said lands, with their pertinents, and to uplift the duties thereof and to convey thereupon at their pleasure, for payment of the taxed ward duties above-rehearsed only, for which his majesty, for himself and as prince and stewart of Scotland and his highness's successors, assigns and conveys to the said William Maxwell, and his said son and their above-written, the foresaid ward and non-entry of the said lands, with the relief thereof and marriage of the heirs, so often as the same should fall, together with a dispensation for serving, retouring, infefting and seising the apparent heirs of tailzie and provision of the said William and Alexander Maxwell in the said lands, with their pertinents, at any time of their age, notwithstanding they are minors, and also giving, for the said five pound land of Calderwood, tower, fortalice, mill, mill-lands and others thereof foresaid, six silver pennies in name of blench ferm, as the said charter at more length purports, together with the precept of sasine directed furth of the chancellery thereupon, for taking of sasine of the said lands and barony of Calderwood with the pertinents, together also with the instrument of sasine following upon the same, together likewise with all and sundry other charters, infeftments and other evidents, rights and securities made and granted to the said William Maxwell and his said son, their authors and predecessors, of and concerning the said lands and barony with the pertinents, of whatsoever dates, tenors or contents the same be, in all and sundry heads, articles, clauses and conditions of the same therein contained, after the form and tenor thereof in all points. And his majesty and estates of this present parliament, will and grant that this present ratification shall be as good, valid and sufficient as if the said charters and other writs, specially and generally above-mentioned, were herein particularly engrossed and inserted word for word; with the which our sovereign lord and estates foresaid, have dispensed and, by this act, dispense for ever.
[1672/6/131]*

Posted: 30 Jun 2011 7:35PM GMT

Ratification in favour of William Maxwell of Jackton and his son
Our sovereign lord, with advice and consent of the estates of parliament, has ratified and approved and, by this act, ratifies and approves the charter and infeftment granted by his majesty, with advice and consent of the commissioners of his majesty's treasury, treasurer depute and other commissioners of his majesty's exchequer, under his majesty's great seal, of the date 26 February last 1672 instant, to his majesty's beloved William Maxwell of Jackton, in liferent, and Alexander Maxwell, his eldest lawful son, procreated between him and the deceased Jean Maxwell, his spouse, and the male heirs lawfully to be procreated of his body, which failing to Thomas Maxwell, his second lawful son, procreated of the said marriage and the male heirs lawfully to be procreated of his body, which failing to the said William Maxwell himself, and the male heirs lawfully to be procreated of his body, in any other lawful marriage, which failing to the other heirs tailzie, provision, successors and assignees therein specified, without any manner of reversion, redemption or regress, of all and whole the lands and barony of Calderwood, comprehending the lands and others underwritten, namely, of all and whole the five pound land of Calderwood, with castle, tower, fortalice, manor place, houses, biggings, yards, orchards, parts, pendicles and pertinents thereof, with the corn mill called Brigmill, astricted multures, sucken and knaveship thereof; all and whole the ten pound land of Jackton, the four pound land of Newlands, the five pound land of Allerton, the twenty shilling land of Greenhills, the five merk land of Taittisthornetoun,† and thirty-three shilling, four penny land of Long Calderwood, with manor place, houses, biggings, yards, orchards, parts, pendicles and all their pertinents, all lying within the parish of Kilbride and sheriffdom of Lanark (under and with the provisions, declarations and restrictions particularly mentioned in the said charter) and that upon the said William Maxwell of Jackton his own resignation, and containing a novodamus and new gift in favour of the said William Maxwell, and of the said Alexander Maxwell, his son, and of the heirs male, tailzie, provision, successors and assignees therein specified (under the provisions therein set down) of all and whole the said lands and barony of Calderwood, comprehending as is before rehearsed, and changing the simple ward holding of the said lands and barony of Calderwood (excepting the five pound land of Calderwood, corn mill and pertinents thereof which are held blench in manner therein specified) in a taxed ward holding, to be held by his majesty, for himself and as prince and stewart of Scotland and his highness's successors, in free barony and taxed ward for ever, for the yearly payment to his majesty, for himself and as prince and stewart of Scotland and his highness's successors for the said lands and barony (excepting as said is) so often as the same shall happen to fall in his majesty's hands, of the sum of 100 merks Scots money, at two terms in the year Whitsunday [May/June] and Martinmas [11 November] by equal portions, during the non-entry, with the like sum of 100 merks money above-written for the relief thereof, and for the marriage of the heirs and successors of the said William Maxwell, the sum of 200 merks money above-specified, and containing a licence and liberty to the heirs of tailzie, provision and successors of the said William and Alexander Maxwell to bruik and possess the said lands, with their pertinents, and to uplift the duties thereof and to convey thereupon at their pleasure, for payment of the taxed ward duties above-rehearsed only, for which his majesty, for himself and as prince and stewart of Scotland and his highness's successors, assigns and conveys to the said William Maxwell, and his said son and their above-written, the foresaid ward and non-entry of the said lands, with the relief thereof and marriage of the heirs, so often as the same should fall, together with a dispensation for serving, retouring, infefting and seising the apparent heirs of tailzie and provision of the said William and Alexander Maxwell in the said lands, with their pertinents, at any time of their age, notwithstanding they are minors, and also giving, for the said five pound land of Calderwood, tower, fortalice, mill, mill-lands and others thereof foresaid, six silver pennies in name of blench ferm, as the said charter at more length purports, together with the precept of sasine directed furth of the chancellery thereupon, for taking of sasine of the said lands and barony of Calderwood with the pertinents, together also with the instrument of sasine following upon the same, together likewise with all and sundry other charters, infeftments and other evidents, rights and securities made and granted to the said William Maxwell and his said son, their authors and predecessors, of and concerning the said lands and barony with the pertinents, of whatsoever dates, tenors or contents the same be, in all and sundry heads, articles, clauses and conditions of the same therein contained, after the form and tenor thereof in all points. And his majesty and estates of this present parliament, will and grant that this present ratification shall be as good, valid and sufficient as if the said charters and other writs, specially and generally above-mentioned, were herein particularly engrossed and inserted word for word; with the which our sovereign lord and estates foresaid, have dispensed and, by this act, dispense for ever.
[1672/6/131]*

Posted: 4 Jul 2011 3:59PM GMT
Is that a will for a Maxwell?

Posted: 4 Jul 2011 6:36PM GMT
I do not think it is a will as they had emigrated to America. But it is from the Records of Parliment andthe dates are on on the bottom let of each page. My GGGMother was Mary Maxwell. married an Ochiltree and they met while in Ireland in the Ulster Plantation. I think it is a land grant from the King.

These names re exact to my ancestors but I am not sure as I don't have the descending tree...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.