Search for content in message boards

Floesser, Ulmer, Weber etc. Absteinach/WaldMichelbach

Floesser, Ulmer, Weber etc. Absteinach/WaldMichelbach

Posted: 3 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 6:52PM GMT
Surnames: Floesser, Ulmer, Ullmer, Weber, Sommer, Gutfleisch, Herle
I'm currently extracting data from the Catholic parish registers of Heiligkreuzsteinach, northeast of Heidelberg, Baden. Many of the families have branches that spread into the southern end of Hesse-Darmstadt, in areas like Unter- and Ober-Absteinach, Wald-Michelbach, Gorxheimertal, etc.

My earliest line is traced to Johannes Philip Floesser, of Hinterheubach (near Heiligkreuzsteinach). His family may have originated farther up the Neckar Valley, or may have come from the Absteinach area.

I'd be interested in talking with anyone familiar with the above-listed communities, and who are working with the families of Floesser, Ulmer, Weber, Sommer, Gutfleisch, Herle, and any others that might have spilled over between this region of Hesse and Rhein-Neckar-Kreis (Heidelberg-area Baden)

Ulmer family

Posted: 4 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2001 8:48PM GMT
Surnames: Ulmer
When I did a search for Gelheim, it came up Ingelheim am Rhein in the Federal State Rhineland-Palatinate. I have not found Sansweiher. These names came from a woman in New Orleans who searched through the records, written in German, at St. Paul's Lutheran Church. There could easily be a mis-spelling.

Placenames in Bavaria, Baden?

Edited: 28 Jun 2001 6:52PM GMT
Surnames: Ulmer
I think your reference must be for Gelscheim, which is in far western Bavaria, near the Baden-Wuerttemberg border. To make matters more confusing, there is also Guelscheim, about 6 km east of there. Is this town the location of the church record, or is it the person's birthplace? I can't place Sansweiher on any map of Baden-Wuerttemberg...have you located it?

I don't know if your Ulmer group is related. I'm inclined to think not; the families I've run across, in the church registers that I'm working with, are pretty much fixed to the southern border of Hessen-Darmstadt with Baden-Wuerttemberg--the area north-east of Heidelberg. There may be a connection, but I'm not aware of it.

Ulmer family

Edited: 6 Jul 2001 8:48PM GMT
Surnames: Ulmer, Kissler, Licht
I have a Johann Jacob Ulmer, in my line, born March 24, 1810 in Gelheim, Bavaria, Rhineland, Germany. He was the son of Konrad Ulmer and Dorthea Licht. He was married to Catherine Kissler born Oct. 1817 in Sansweiher, Baden, Germany. He and Catherine came to New Orleans abt. 1839 and were members of St. Paul's Lutheran Church.

Re: Placenames in Bavaria, Baden?

Posted: 10 Jul 2001 10:42PM GMT
Hi, I was wondering if you might have come across my Ulmer family line. I'm looking for a Louis (or Ludwig, not sure what his real name was, he was called both) born 186? supposedly in Ulm, Bavaria, Germany. According to the family his fathers name was John, siblings were John, Bernard, Matthew, George, and 1 girl? Louis (or Ludwig) married a Katherine Post b.1870 in Dormstadt, met and married in the USA. Children were George Carl, Louis, William, Marion, John, Matilda, Louise, and Oscar Bernard. They lived in Pittsburg PA. Does anything sound like it could fit into your line? Any help would be mst appreciated.

Re: Placenames in Bavaria, Baden?

Posted: 11 Jul 2001 5:22PM GMT
Surnames: Ulmer, Floesser
The only Ulmer lines I know are in the Absteinach/ Wald-Michelbach area of southern Hessen, along the border with Baden-Wuerttemberg. I've run across them only because they intermarried with my line--Floesser--in the parish of Heiligkreuzsteinach, which is the "next" one south of Absteinach.

If your line is actually from Ulm (in Baden-Wuerttemberg, not Bavaria--but close), then they are from the "seat" of that family, the town name being the source of the family name. I have another old Baden family in my line--Kochendoerfer--who are from....you guessed it....Kochendoerf, originally. There are Ulmer's all over Germany now, but yours come from the original batch.

Re: Floesser, Ulmer, Weber etc. Absteinach/WaldMichelbach

Posted: 28 Jul 2001 11:33PM GMT
Edited: 10 Sep 2004 6:19PM GMT
Surnames: Floesser
I am researching Adam Floesser, born Aug. 17, 1793 in Altsimten, Pirmasens, Duchy of Zweibruecken, son of Leonard Floesser and Magdalena Schneider. Adam's son Jacob came to America abt. 1853 and am trying to find info on this line in Germany.

David Fletcher (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2001 12:28AM GMT
I don't know if this Leonard Floesser was originally from the Rhein-Neckar-Kreis (Schriesheim to Heidelberg) area or not. There were a few Leonard Floesser's of the b. ca. 1770 generation, but I don't know much about what became of them. Pirmasens is near the French frontier, and Rhein-Pfalz has such a checkered past, it's hard to tell.

It's quite possible that they are related to the Heidelberg area group, but I've seen no proof. My particular ancestor, Jacob Floesser, emmigrated with his wife in 1732. Most of the balance of his family is accounted for in their parish, Heiligkreuzsteinach. There are descendants living in the same area today.

Posted: 8 Aug 2001 4:51AM GMT
Surnames: Gutfleisch
I am a Gutfleisch. My Great Grandfather was John A. Gutfleisch. He was born in 1843 in Hesse Darmstadt. He settled in Waseca, Minnesota. I would be interested in any information you have on his line. I have nothing past him but to present.

David Fletcher (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2001 10:35PM GMT
HI Lynn...

Look for an email detailing ways I can help in your search.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.