Search for content in message boards

Wm Simpson Sr. & Jr., Livingston Co. KY early 1800s

Wm Simpson Sr. & Jr., Livingston Co. KY early 1800s

Ann Fourt (View posts)
Posted: 17 Feb 2003 7:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Simpson, Perkins, Sherrill, Barker, Armstrong, Greathouse, Reese
Am researching a possible connection between the William Simpson, Sr. & Jr., Thomas Simpson, & Benjamin Simpson to the PERKINS family living in Livingston Co. KY in late 1700s to early 1800s.

Father was William Perkins Sr., sons were Wm Jr., Benjamin, Richard, Thomas, Solomon, Joseph, Adam, Stephen and John H. Perkins; also several daughters.

My ancestor was Solomon Perkins, who married an Elizabeth Unknown, date and place unknown (but probably circa 1790-93). They had seven known children, four whose names are known: Isaac b. circa 1795, Daniel Reese Perkins (my ancestor) born 1797, Elisha born 1799 and Solomon born 1801. Elizabeth would have been born around 1770-1774.

My Perkinses lived on Skinframe Creek in what is now Caldwell Co. KY. Solomon went to Illinois around 1807 (I believe with his brother Richard; they are both listed on a Census of 1807) to get established, put in a crop, put up a cabin and file a land claim, and then brought the entire family the next year, 1808. By October 1809 Solomon has died, as I found a deed referencing land "adjacent to the widow Perkins" in Randolph Co., IL.

Solomon's son Isaac married Jane Barker in 1813. Jane Barker was a daughter of Lewis Barker, who was also in Livingston County and before that Logan Co. KY and Robertson Co. TN. I find Solomon Perkins living next to
Lewis Barker and a Thomas Barker (brother?) around 1796, so they definitely knew each other before going to IL.

It is the Lewis Barker connection that led me to Solomon Perkins, as a matter of fact. Elizabeth Perkins remarried in 1811 to a Nathaniel Armstrong in IL; the justice of the peace was Gabriel Greathouse, who is a neighbor to Elizabeth Perkins in the 1810 Census where she is the head of
household. Elizabeth and Nathaniel Armstrong later moved to Warren Co. IL along with the sons. One of the daughters married a Joel Hargraves, but I don't know her name yet. I am estimating that the daughters were born circa 1803, 1805 and 1807.

Isaac Perkins died in 1832 in the Black Hawk War; he enlisted from Tazewell Co., IL. His brothers Daniel Reese and Elisha were in Tazewell Co. at this time also. Solomon had already moved to Warren Co. IL; Daniel Reese followed shortly thereafter. Elisha stayed in Tazewell County through 1850 before moving to Warren Co., Iowa.

Solomon Perkins (the son) went to Des Moines Co. Iowa in the summer of 1832 before it was even open to settlement, and became the first sheriff there (one of the first two sheriffs in Iowa). Daniel Reese moved to Iowa about 1861 and died there. His son, also named Daniel Reese Perkins (also my
ancestor) moved on to Montgomery Co. Kansas and is buried there. Other Perkinses went to Nebraska and Colorado. Elisha Perkins' descendants in particular went to Colorado around the time of the Civil War.

In our branch of the PERKINS family we have many, many Solomons, which also leads me to believe that Solomon Perkins was the father of our seven children. We do not have a single Richard that I am aware of.

It is the Reese connection that has me interested in Simpsons, as there is a Daniel Reese found in Baltimore Co. MD earlier on who might be our namesake. It's possible that my Elizabeth (my 4X G grandmother) might have been a Simpson, or a Sherrill; both these families intermarried with
Perkinses quite a bit.

There is a Mary Simpson, daughter of Reuben Simpson and Sarah Sherrill, who would be the right age to have married Solomon, listed in Abington Simpson's journal (grandson of Reuben Simpson) as having married a Mr. Perkins. Could her middle name have been Elizabeth?

Solomon's brother Adam Perkins remained in KY and died in Caldwell Co. KY. His brothers William Jr. and Richard migrated to Missouri (Cape Girardeau) and died there.

I would especially love to hear from Dianna Williams or April Simpson, both researching the Simpsons in Livingston Co. KY. Neither of these person's e-mail addresses work any more. Does any of the above information ring a bell with any SIMPSON researchers?

Any info appreciated.

Re: Wm Simpson Sr. & Jr., Livingston Co. KY early 1800s

Posted: 15 Aug 2006 4:48PM GMT
I'm from Weakley county tennessee and I think that my ancestor Adam Perkins was the son of your Adam, who is a brother to Solomon. Please contact me at your conveniece. Jperkins1@charter.net
Jeff

Posted: 7 Apr 2010 1:02AM GMT
Surnames: Simpson, Perkins, Sherrill, Barker, Margraves
I can see about eight different ways we are related here!

William Simpson Sr.was really William II. He was born 1721 in old Baltimore Co MD, died 1825 (yes, 104). His first wife was Avarilla Perkins, daughter of Richard Perkins II and Mary Sherrill.

William Simpson Jr (III) was born about 1748 in Augusta Co VA. He was married to Mary Roberson, daughter of Isaac Robinson (note spelling change) and Katherine Perkins. I have not determined if Avarilla Perkins (Mrs. William Simpson II) and Katherine Perkins were sisters or double-first cousins. Katherine might have been the daughter of Elisha Perkins and Margaret Sherrill. In any case, both Perkins gals had brothers named Adam.

Thomas was a very common name in this Simpson family. And Benjamin D. Simpson, married 5 March 1808 in Livingston Co KY to his cousin, Mary G. Roberson, was my third great grandfather.

William Simpson III died before 3 October 1803 in Caldwell Co KY. His widow (Mary Roberson) remarried, to a Mr. Barker, whose name escapes me just now. It took until the mid-1830s for the property settlement to happen. The land was on the Donaldson Fork of the Tradewater River. I have documents about the settlement, how each of 13 children, or their heirs, got their $10 or $20 dollars to sell their portion to the fourteenth heir. By then, some of the heirs lived in Saline Co IL, and some in Franklin and Gasconade Counties, MO.

Are you sure Joel's name was Hargraves? At least two of my Simpsons were married to Margraves men. Anthony Margraves was a Justice of the Peace in Gasconade Co MO.

Would love to compare notes!!!

Posted: 8 Apr 2010 5:36PM GMT
Surnames: Simpson
PJ - Benjamin D. Simpson was my 4th G Grandfather as well. I think we may have already compared notes, but feel free to contact me at twilson.mail@embarqmail.com if you like. I haven't worked on my family lines for quite a while, but will be retiring in July and plan on resuming work again this Fall. Maybe we can fill in a few details for each other. Thanks for the information in your post.

Posted: 9 Apr 2010 1:01AM GMT
Yes, your name seems familiar. I will write to you from my simpsonseeker@yahoo.com address. I can fill you in on plenty of details, put you in touch with other researchers, etc. Pj
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.