Search for content in message boards

Nanticoke and Lenni Lenape Indians

Nanticoke and Lenni Lenape Indians

Posted: 15 Sep 2001 10:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jun 2005 12:36PM GMT
Currently researching ancestors and descendants of the Nanticoke and the Lenni Lenape Indians. These tribes reside in Delaware and New Jersey (the Nanticoke having indigenous origins in Maryland). It is known that members of these tribes migrated to: PA (especially Philadelphia), NY, Canada, OH, MI, IN - there are areas where branches of these tribes migrated to that have not yet been identified.

Surnames of these families include: Johnson, Harmon/Harman, Wright, Street, Handsor/Hanzer/Hansor, Hansley, Norwood, Miller, Morris, Dean, Durham, Seeney, Ridgeway, Clark, Coursey, Rust, Carmean/Cormean, Mosely/Moseley/Mosley, Loatman, Coker, Munce/Muntz/Muncy/Munson, Greenage/Grinnage, Sammons/Salmons(/Simmons), Puckham, Pritchett, Hood, Kimmey, Perkins, Jackson, Hitchens, Hall, Gould, Draine, Driggus/Driggett/Driggers, Davis, Cuff, Carney/Corney, Morgan, Sockum, and more.

Should you have feel that you might have a possible connection to these families, let's discuss.

Re: Nanticoke and Lenni Lenape Indians

Posted: 12 Oct 2001 5:29AM GMT
Have you ever come accross the surname of Kaiser-in NJ? I'm always asked what tribe I'm from, & am still searching for my Birth Mother (from NJ)-not even sure Kaiser was her last name-first name was Barbara J.-I look like her. Any help is greatly appreciated....

Danny Huff (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2001 4:45AM GMT
Was there a John Mosley that migrated to Kentucky from Delaware? Dan Huff

Posted: 19 Oct 2001 3:29AM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2010 4:53AM GMT
Surnames: Kaiser
Kathy:

Unfortunately I have not come across the surname Kaiser associated with the tribe in Bridgeton, NJ or in Delaware. I recommend that you contact the Bridgeton tribe directly.

Posted: 19 Oct 2001 3:32AM GMT
Danny:

As yet my research has not yet led me to Delaware, but that does not mean a Mosley migration to KY did not occur. Have you found KY records that says John Mosley is from Delaware?

Note, there is a Huff branch (I believe from NJ) that is associated with these tribes.

Dan Huff (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2001 4:02AM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2010 5:11AM GMT
Surnames: Bunch, Moore, Kitchen, Mosley, Collins, Branham, Jarrell, Woods, Canterbury
My Husband's family are direct descendants of Pokahauntas. Don't know if I spelled that right. Anyway, I was looking through some Delaware info, and was reading about Mosleys and Moores/moor. I found a family that stayed pretty much in the same area, but one brother, John
Mosley migrated to Kentucky according to one source. We had a couple of John Mosleys in our area, Floyd, Maglofflin, Clay and Perry County Kentucky in the same time period. Also, my family is "Dark" with native american traits and has always claimed to be Native American. My oldest Mosley
family member that I can find, could have been any one of their sons, according to the time period. So, I have Moores, Mosley, Collins, Jones, Bunch, Kitchen, Woods, Jarrell, Branham and of all things, Canterbury in my mom and dad's families. So I have been very interesting in these John Mosleys. Thank You, Dan Huff

Posted: 19 Oct 2001 3:17PM GMT
Surnames: Mosley
Dan:

When you state that you were looking through some Delaware info, are you referring to the Delaware Indians or the State of Delaware? Because of the reference to Moore/Moor, I tend to think you are referring to the State of Delaware. In Kent Co., DE many of the Indians (Lenape) in the Cheswold area were referred to as Moor; however it is not very clear why. I would be interested in learning the specific reference(s) you discovered regarding the Mosely line that migrated to Kentucky. Having that information would give me a base from which to research to find the connection.

As I am sure you are aware, Pocohantus was from the tidewater area of Virginia where the Powhatan tribe resided and still resides today. There are Mosley lines in that area of Virginia, however I do not have the specifics on those Mosley lines.

Danny Huff (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2001 8:19PM GMT
I was looking at info of Delaware State. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone. I will look up the references and send them along to you. My most wanted Mosleys and Bunch persons are: Parents of Nathaniel Faris Mosley b.1830-35 and paraents of Fuel Bunch b. abt 1830. Fuel was in Virginia with wife aggy/aggie probabley Brody/Brodie. I have a Henderson Mosley b. abt 1810, married to a Mary Polly Jones Sizemore.
All of these folks claimed indian heritage, look the part and lived in South East Kentucky in the early to middle 1800's. Ofcourse, at this time, I believe that this John Mosley is connected to them in some way. I'll get back to you. If you would like to contact us directly, e-mail us at dhuff@tgtel.com
Dan and Martha Huff

Posted: 24 Oct 2001 4:10AM GMT
Edited: 20 Sep 2002 2:22AM GMT
Celeste,

I am a Driggett, Durham, Concealler/Consellor descendant. David and Hester Durham Driggett were born in DE in 1833 and 1835 and migrated to Delaware Township, Camden County, NJ before 1860. They migrated to Wayne Co., MI before 1870.

Most of the names you mentioned are associated with the group often referred to as Delaware Moors. They were probably a combination of Nanticoke Indians, Free Blacks, and Europeans (mostly Germans and Scandinavians).

This group refused to be relocated when DE send the Nanticokes to Western reservations. From that point the state ignored their existance and Indian heritage. There are a number of websites specifically researching this group. If you do a web search on "delaware+moors" you should find the sites.

Posted: 24 Oct 2001 9:35PM GMT
Matt:

Thank you for the information.

I am currently of the group called Mitsawokett which is specifically researching the groups from Delaware. We are 200 strong and cover many of the family names. There is a listserv of the same name which we use to communicate with one another. Are you a member of this group?

I recently came across another individual in MI who is researching the Driggett/Driggus/Driggers surname. I would be interested in discussing these families with you. My direct email addy is: Nanticoke9@aol.com Feel free to contact me directly.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.