Search for content in message boards

Woodlawn Cemetery, Thorold, Lachance, Lookup

Woodlawn Cemetery, Thorold, Lachance, Lookup

Posted: 20 Jan 2012 5:57AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Lachance/La Chance
According to the Ontario Genealogical Society, Mr. Walter W. Lachance was buried at Section A of Woodlawn Municipal Cemetery, Thorold, Welland Co., Ontario. Most likely he's Walter William La Chance, b. 1870 or 1871 at Brockville, Ontario. I need to know his Date of Death or Date of Interment. Any further information regarding his wife and any children is also most appreciated. Thanks! Mike

Re: Woodlawn Cemetery, Thorold, Lachance, Lookup

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 9:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Woodlawn Cemetery is on Niagara street in Welland at the corner of Niagara and Woodlawn Road near the Seaway Mall. As you come into the cemetery from Niagara Street, Section A is at the front of the cemetery on the far left. The Lachance stone is in Row 17, stone 2.

This is the information from the cemetery transcription at the Welland Library:

Walter Wm. Lachance
April 12 1869
Sept 23 1951
born at Brockville Ont.

Mr. Lachance is the architect who designed the old fire hall on Division Street in Welland.

http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=1...

This is probably Walter and family in the 1901 census for the city of Hamilton, Ontario:

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=52840&h...

(His first name is incorrectly transcribed as “Walker”. Daughter Marcellette was born in USA 26 Sept 1894 and son Alva was born in Ontario 4 Aug 1899.)

Sharon
Welland, Ontario

Posted: 24 Jan 2012 10:56PM GMT
WOW!!! GREAT!!! THANKS A LOT!!!

Indeed, he's the architect, and I'm after him, respectively his DOD, since a few years.

These children are from his first marriage (Sarah Stoddard); in the 1906 Saskatchewan Census, where only initials are given, one "A." is listed as his (second) wife.

I leave the rest, like the range of the YOB (now 69-71), to other researchers as my main aim was to find a Date of Death for him.

Thanks again,

Mike

Posted: 25 Jan 2012 4:19PM GMT
LAST NAME FIRST NAME MIDDLE NAME LOT OWNER & RESIDENCE SPOUSE & DATE OF MARRIAGE PARENTS/MILITARY SERVICE DATE OF BIRTH DATE & PLACE OF DEATH YRS. MO. DA. NATIVE OF RESIDENCE LOT/ROW, GRAVE NO. PHOTO PHOTO #
==================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================
LaChance Sarah (Sadie) Stoddard Lucias L. Stoddard, Cleveland Walter W. LaChance Eliza J. Stoddard, Canada 1875 July 28, 1941 . . . Ohio Cleveland OL 628 #1 photo 2042

Posted: 27 Jan 2012 7:44PM GMT
I thought you might like this death notice for your records. It is from the Welland Tribune newspaper archives.

LACHANCE - At the Devonia Convalescent Home, Fonthill, on Sunday, September 23rd, 1951, Walter LaChance of 70 Regent street, in his 83rd year; beloved husband of the late Sadie LaChance and dear father of John LaChance of Ohio, Mrs. Marcellette Moore of Coolidge, Arizona, and Mrs. Anita Arend of Winter Park, Florida. Friends may call at the J.J. Patterson and Sons Funeral Residence, 19 Young street, Welland, where services will be held on Tuesday, September 25th, at 3:30 p.m. Interment in Woodlawn cemetery.
-----------
There is another anouncement on the same page that is almost exactly the same but with these added phrases: "resident of Welland for the past 30 years", "native of Brockville", and "predeceased by his wife 30 years ago".

Sharon

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 12:36AM GMT
Just found this on google by chance, I think that Lachance family used to live in my childhood home, they are listed on the deed..

Your childhood home

Posted: 7 Apr 2014 8:12PM GMT
Surnames: LaChance
Hi,
I have recently been looking up history on my grandfather Walter William LaChance. I am a
grandson of Walter and Sadie LaChance, who were divorced only a few years after my father, Alva Ellis LaChance was born in or near Hamilton.Ontario. After their divorce, Walter remained in Canada, and Sadie, Alva and Marcellette came here to the U.S., and settled in Milan, Ohio. Believe Walter may have remarried.
For these reasons, Walter wasn't a topic of family discussion, and I never had the opportunity to meet him, even though I was in my early 20's when he died.
Where was your home? If you knew my family, we always spell our last name with a Captial "C".
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.