Search for content in message boards

Bearwood College - formerly Merchant Seamen's Orphanage

Bearwood College - formerly Merchant Seamen's Orphanage

Posted: 17 Nov 2013 4:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
I just came upon these messages on ancestry. John Hann kindly answered my inquiries in 2009 about my grandfather & his brother who were at the orphanage at the time of the 1881 Census.
He provided me with information that I did not have but information which has led to more questions.
Does anyone know if these records can be viewed? Should I travel to England would it be possible to visit Bearwood College myself and look at the records?

Re: Bearwood College - formerly Merchant Seamen's Orphanage

Posted: 18 Nov 2013 2:58PM GMT
http://www.berksfhs.org.uk/journal/Dec2002/OrphansAtBearwood...

See the last paragraph for details of records

Posted: 18 Nov 2013 7:28PM GMT
Thank you for the reply. I had read the journal article, in fact that is how I discovered John Hann. My question was are the records available for the public to view.

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 7:04PM GMT
I am not sure of the position at this precise moment but during the past few years there has been a real-ding-dong between the Royal Merchant Navy School Foundation and Bearwood College over who owned what - including the mansion. It has all been settled reasonably amicably now and the Old Royals Association which represented the past scholars of the Royal Merchant Navy School will cease to exist next week and what is left will be merged with the Bearwood Parents'Association which effectively ends the Merchant Navy connection. However before this, a real stink was created about the Archives some of which were being appallingly neglected despite John Hann's efforts and a final agreement was reached that they should be deposited with Berkshire County Archives where they would be properly looked after and available to the public - but I am not sure exactly when Berkshire will have worked through them or arranged/catalogued them or if they have actually been moved physically. Write to the County Archivist and ask how things are going. John Hann, who is well into retirement age is still around but his wife has been very ill and he has other things on his mind, although I know he is still trying to create a home for various artefacts which do not count as archives. At the moment I think you are unlikely to get an answer from him even if you did write to him - get on to Berkshire County Archives - they should be able to tell you exactly what is happening. Hope this helps.

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 10:08PM GMT
Thank you very much for this reply. I will certainly write to the Berkshire County Archives.
Merry Christmas.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.