Search for content in message boards

Beattie family-inishowen,Ireland

Beattie family-inishowen,Ireland

sean beattie (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2001 1:50PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Beatty, Allison
I am interested in contacting any Beattys who originated in the parishes of Moville and Cloncha (often called Bocan or Culdaff) in Co.Donegal, Ireland and who emigrated to America in the 1800s.
Also about an ancestor called Rebecca Allison who married a John or James Beattie and who had seven sons , each of whom was given a farm. She was born in the late 1700s and the farms can still be identified here in Inishowen.

Re: Beattie family-inishowen,Ireland

Posted: 17 Sep 2002 5:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Jul 2003 8:13PM GMT
Hi Sean,

I don't think this will be of much use to you, but you might be able to help me. I have JOHN BEATTIE born c. 1864 whose father may have been JOHN BEATTIE on the 1857 Griffith Valuation of Drumhaggart, Parish of Burt, Co. Donegal. Moville is an adjacent parish.

My grandmother (MARY ELIZABETH BEATTIE) was an orphan in 1901. She is said to have had nine brothers. I only know two names Thomas and William. Family lore suggests three of the brothers emigrated to the USA after WW1. I was hoping your family had some rellies from the old country turning up 100 years later in the same area. As you can see, I am real desperate. Other names associated with Beattie, WILEY, McNAUGHER, BELL and maybe ARMSTRONG.

The Beattie surname does not seem to be as prevalent in Co. Donegal as it is further north.

Good luck with your family.

MAGGIE
in Aotearoa (land of the long white cloud) otherwise New Zealand

Re: Beattie family-inishowen,Ireland

Posted: 4 Apr 2010 2:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Beattie
I am having great difficulty finding out about my ancestors. The little info I have is that three brothers James, Robert and Alexander came to Australia sometime around the 1870's 80's? and ended up in northern NSW Australia. They were originally from Bloody Forelands in Donegal. I cant find any records of them or of their immigration. Its weird I cant find out anything about them. The story of how they came to Australia has been passed down and I can only assume its correct but without any documents Im at a loss to know how to authenticate it or find out any more about my fathers side of the family. Any assistance would be greatly apprecitated...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.