Search for content in message boards

Stephen CANTRELL info help

Stephen CANTRELL info help

Casey Larsen (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2000 12:16AM GMT
I am searching for a Stephen CANTRELL who married Mary Ann BLAKEMORE and had a daughter Susan CANTRELL who married John Jackson EDWARDS Jr. No dates are known, except for it is in the Late 1700's, Early 1800's circa. I was curious as to if this Stephen CANTRELL could of been the Son to Sarah EDWARDS-CANTRELL who also had Delilah Sarah?.

If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it

Thank you and good luck with your searches.

Stephen Cantrell

Posted: 29 Feb 2000 9:01PM GMT
Edited: 20 Dec 2001 3:55AM GMT
Stephen Cantrell, b:28 June 1758, Bedford Co., VA., d: 5 February 1827, Sumner Co., TN. He was the son of Sarah Selden,Edwards Cantrell nee Hilliard and Joseph Cantrell, son of Zebulon Cantrill.He married Mary Blakemore b: 8 March 1765, d: 2 Aug 1849 in Sumner Co., TN. She was a daughter of Major John Blakemore of Ft. Blount in East TN, a member of the famous Donelson Expedition. They moved to Sumner Co., TN in the 1780's where Stephen was granted 640 acres of land on Drakes Creek for his service in the War for American Independence as a Captain of the Guard of the North Carolina Continental Commissioners. Stephen was a lawyer and the first Representative of Sumner Co., TN, to the Congress convened at Knoxville, TN 28 March 1796. His son, Stephen Cantrell, Jr., was Mayor of Nashville in 1818. Stephen was a wealthy plantation owner in Sumner County, near Gallatin. Descendants of some of his slaves attended high school with my sons at Goodlettsville, TN. Stephen and Mary Blakemore, his only wife, had Ten children, among them was no Susan that I found of record, and I have his will explicitly naming his immediate family. He did have a daughter, Mary, who married Dr. William Edwards on 21 October 1821 in Sumner Co., TN. Dr. Edwards was first reported to me as being a son of Zionlaw Cantrell and Nathan Edwards. Zionlaw Cantrell, b:11 Jan 1762 in Virginia. d: 21 May 1821 in Sumner Co., TN, was Stephen's half sister. I think this may be in error since I do have record of Nathan Edwards as being the husband of Jemima Iris Cotton, father of William Edwards. Since I believe this to be a collateral line it will be researched later.

Yes, Stephen Cantrell had two sisters, (1)Delilah Cantrell, m: William Nolen and they founded the City of Nolensville, TN, some 15 miles from my home in Brentwood.(2) Sarah Cantrell b: ca 1860, Bedford Co., VA. m: Joel Chitwood and they settled in Lincoln Co., TN about 50 miles south of Nolensville, TN.

I have a rather extensive genealogy of Stephen's family as well as his sisters. Please make any inquiries direct e-mail. Do you have GEDCOM capabilities? If so, what software do you have?

Charles T. "Tom" Cantrell
1208 Norton Court
Brentwood TN 37027
Alternate e-mail: t4tomcan@aol.com

Stephen Cantrell

Posted: 9 Apr 2000 5:41PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2001 5:23AM GMT
I am very interested in locating the proof that
Stephen's mother was Sarah Hilliard Selden Edwards
Cantrell.
Stephen's half brother was John Edwards, whose
mother was Sarah HENLEY EDWARDS, wife of JOHN
Edwards. This John Edwards is NOT the William Edwards who
married Sarah Hilliard. William Edwards who married Sarah
Hilliard Selden stayed in Surry Co., VA.
Sarah Edwards, and her husband John were of Bedford Co.,
VA. Stephen Cantrell named a son Darby Henley Cantrell;
Sarah Henley was from Baltimore Co., MD where Darby Henley
lived, married, etc. and to whom I believe is related
to Sarah. John Edwards and Sarah Henley were married in 1749 in Baltimore
Co., MD. their son John Edwards was born in 1750 in Baltimore Co.,
MD. John Srs' father was the William Edwards
of Bedford Co., VA who died abt 23 May 1757.
There is a HUGE mixup of the two William's.
Any info to straighten out this perpetuated
information would be welcome.

Stephen Cantrell

Tom Cantrell (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2000 7:15PM GMT
Sarah, I have attached a GEDCOM that includes sketches on Joseph Cantrill and Sarah Edwards Cantrill. Admittedly, I have not seen the documentation personally, but a correspondent passed her research references to her documentation on to me. You will find them in the sketches on Sarah Edwards and Joseph Cantrill. You will also find a Henley mentioned. I hope you have GEDCOM capabilities and can copy the notes. If not, let me know. I am just as hungry for the facts here as anyone else and it appears my correspondent did considerable study on this and has presented me enough evidence to believe she is right. Let me hear from you.

Stephen Cantrell

Tom Cantrell (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2000 9:39AM GMT
Please contact me direct e-mail at t4tomcan@home.com or t4tomcan@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.