Search for content in message boards

Louis Robichaud & Marie Michel Aucoin - Bretagne, France

Louis Robichaud & Marie Michel Aucoin - Bretagne, France

Posted: 24 Dec 2007 7:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for the ancestors of the above mentioned people. I am researching the Robichaud family, Acadians, whose first ancestor to come to the Colony of Acadia (Canada) was Louis Robichaud, born about 1609 in La Chaussee, Loudon, Vienne, Bretagne, France and died in 1649 in Quebec.

His wife, Marie Michel Aucoin was born about 1609-1610, in France, presumably in the Province of Bretagne.

They had three sons, that I know of, Charles Robichaud [born about 1637 in La Chaussee, Loudun, Dept of Vienne, Bretagne, France]; Etienne Robichaud (from whom my Robichaud friend's family descends; born abt 1639 in La Chaussee, Loudun, Vienne, Poitou, Bretagne, France; died about 1686 in Port Royal, Acadia]; and Joseph Tienne Robichaud [born 1649 in Quebec; died 1686 in Port Royal, Acadia).

If anyone has any information about the ancestry of this family, I would be very grateful to hear back from you.

Heather
Whitby, Ontario Canada
verdun1950@rogers.com

Re: Louis Robichaud & Marie Michel Aucoin - Vienne/Poitou - France

Posted: 25 Dec 2007 4:12PM GMT
Merry Christmas Heather,

Have you consulted Stephen White's "Dictionnaire des Familles Acadiennes" (DGFA)? I don't have easy access to a copy, so I am unable to look this up for you right now. I will be suggesting to the board admin that this thread be moved to my Acadian-Cajun board. We have a number of knowledgeable Acadian researchers who may have the answer handy, and I would be delighted to host your query.

One small correction is in order, however. Loudun was in the old province of Poitou, but this was never part of Bretagne, even in the 17th century. Bretagne was a separate province located just north of the province of Poitou.

Of course, all provinces were abolished in 1789 during the French revolution. Bretagne was divided into 5 departments (Cotes-du-Nord, Finistere, Ille-et-Vilaine, Morbihan, and Loire-Inferieure). In the early 20th century, the creation of "economic regions" grouped the first 4 of these into the present-day region of Bretagne, while Loire-Inferieure (which became Loire-Atlantique in 1957) was itself grouped into another region, called today "Pays de la Loire".

The province of Poitou was divided into 3 departments (Vendee, Deux-sevres, and Vienne). Vendee is today part of "Pays de la Loire", while Deux-sevres and Vienne have been grouped into the present-day region of Poitou-Charentes.

Posted: 26 Dec 2007 4:36PM GMT
Hi Maurice:

Many thanks for your reply and the wonderful France geography information. As you can see, I am terribly unfamiliar with the way France was and is broken up ... all I know is that they were referred to as Provinces. As well, this information is very useful for further investigating within France - I do appreciate you taking the time to outline it so well for me (this info is a keeper; I will save it to a Word file).

Also, this would be very kind of you to request a move of my initial query to the Acadian-Cajun board; as you say, someone on this discussion board may have an answer for me.

As I think I mentioned, I am doing this genealogical research for an Acadian friend of mine, Louis Robichaud, who is from Shippagan, Gloucester County, New Brunswick and now lives in Pickering, Ontario. Both of his parents were Robichauds; his father's name was Edmond and he had a brother, Denis, and a sister, Ella (there could be more children but I'm unaware of their names) but unfortunately Edmond abandonned his family when Louis was a young boy and Louis doesn't know the paternal side of his family at all ... so, needless to say, I am grasping at straws trying to find just Edmond's parents let alone any of his further ancestors. It would be interesting to see when the two lineages connect.

So if anyone out there knows any information on Edmond Robichaud, I would be very grateful if they would reply. Here is the only information I have on him:
Edmond Robichaud
Born: abt 1935
Died: 2000 (at age 65 years)
Married: Jennine Robichaud on 9 Jul 1956 in St. Isadore, Gloucester County, New Brunswick (source: PANB - Marriages)
Siblings: Ella and Denis

So thank you again. I hope you had a blessed Christmas, as I did ... and best wishes for the New Year 2008.

Heather Holdgate
Whitby, Ontario Canada
verdun1950@rogers.com

P.S. No, I have not consulted Stephen White's "Dictionnaire des Familles Acadiennes". I have read many references to it but I have not seen a copy and I doubt I would find one in our local library although, the Toronto Metro Library would most likely have a copy. Next time I'm in the city, I will go to the library and check it out.

Posted: 4 Aug 2008 6:00PM GMT
You could look at the Robichaud website:
www.robichaud.info
I couldn't find an exact match myself.

François

Posted: 5 Aug 2008 12:15AM GMT
Merci, François,

This ia a new one to me; I have never seen this site before. (I just bookmarked it.)

I am also looking for my friend's father, Edmond Robichaud (both parents had the same surname). His father abandonned the family and is now dead and he has only one uncle left who he hasn't seen in about 30 years; he is shy to phone or write him. I have Edmond's year of birth, marrage date and date of death plus a sister and a brother's name ... maybe I'll find him on this site.

So many thanks, François, for the lead. I didn't want to give my friend only half of his family's ancestry.

Regards,
Heather Holdgate
Whitby, Ontario

Re: Louis Robichaud & Marie Michel Aucoin - Bretagne, France

Posted: 12 Oct 2009 6:02PM GMT
Are you still looking for information on this family? I might have the information you need. let me know
Paul Robichaud

Posted: 13 Oct 2009 11:30AM GMT
Hi Paul;

Thank you for writing after all of this time. I now have the information I was looking for.

I am working on the ancestry of a friend of mine, Louis Robichaud, an Acadian from Allardville, New Bruswick (he now lives in Pickering, Ontario). Both of his parents were Robichauds and I found out where their lines connect. It has taken me a long time as I was stuck on his father's side for a long time. Louis' father abandonned the family so he doesn't know much about his father's people ... which caused me a lot of work but I got most of it.

Again, thank you for your offer of assistance.

Regards,
Heather Holdgate
Whitby, Ontario

Posted: 12 Aug 2012 2:12PM GMT
trying to find out more information i'am a desendant of his

Posted: 12 Aug 2012 2:46PM GMT
Visit my Website. You will find everything you need.
robichaudfamily.tribalpages.com

Paul

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 6:15PM GMT
My name is Yvon Robichaud.
I am a direct decendant of Louis Robichaud who's family eventually settled in St.Charles de Kent New Brunswick.
There may be a part of our lineage missing as it is speculated that my grandfather who worked in Detroit 8 months of the year may have fathered another family there. His name was Jean (John)I did some searching on this and one contact said he didn't know his great grandfather's name but that he went back to N.B. for a visit and passed away at an early age(late 40's)This was also my grandfather's fate exactly. But I was never able to verify.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.