Search for content in message boards

Stephen Harper's grandparents

Stephen Harper's grandparents

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 12:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi

Looking for the parents of Margaret Johnston, Stephen Harper's maternal grandparents.

They were said to be from Durham County in Ontario.

Thanks

Gilberte

Re: Stephen Harper's grandparents

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 2:13PM GMT
There were Johnstons in Durham County . In fact I have that name in my tree but I think you would need a little more info before one could provide answers.
My line starts with Samuel Johnston and Jane McConnell who came over from Ireland in early 1800`s and lived in Clarke.

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 4:21PM GMT
Hi

Don't know anything else but doing Harper direct line I came across these postings online.

Stephen Harper was born in Etobicoke, his parents wed ? I have the date etc. . but not exactly where.

The grandparents were farmers from Durham County, Ontario.

His mother became a secretary in Toronto area & this is where Johnston/Harper met ? wed.

All I know on that family.

I e-mailed Stephen Harper & asked his grandparents names (LOL)

Of course I got no answer.

Gilberte

Posted: 15 May 2009 1:53AM GMT
Message from Grant Harper via e-mail.

Said the Johnston family came from Grey Co: to Durham Co: area of Allen Park Village around Normanby & Bentinck.

I've heard of Grey & Durham Co: but the rest is lost on me as I don't know that area of Ontario.

If that helps in any way. . .

I think Grant Harper is Stephen Harper's brother but not positive on that.

Gilberte

Posted: 29 May 2009 5:15AM GMT

Hi Gilberte;

The Municipality of West Grey consists of the former townships of Bentinck, Glenelg, and Normanby, the Village of Neustadt, and the Town of Durham. West Grey is the largest Municipality in Grey County and borders Owen Sound, Ontario. Hope this helps to locate the area for you.

There are a lot of records of Johnston families in that area. The url below has historical information for families in Grey and Durham.

http://greycountyhs.ca/links.html

Grant Harper is Stephen Harper's brother and the other brother is Robert. Stephen Joseph Harper b. 30 Apr 1959 in Etobicoke, Ontario is the oldest of the three boys.

If you need information for Stephen Harper's ancestors, please provide your email address and I will send you the information I have.

Elaine

Posted: 29 May 2009 10:44AM GMT
Hi Elaine

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

I was only trying to do his direct line & I need his mother's parents for that.

Gilberte
gilberte@persona.ca

Posted: 29 May 2009 10:44AM GMT
rwaitec568@rogers.com

Is there any connection to Durham County for this family ?i.e. Port Hope / Newcastle area

Posted: 29 May 2009 11:14AM GMT
Hi

Just mentions the area of Allen Park, Bentinck, Normanby, around Durham.

You'd think he knows hiis grandparents name but he never gave them to me so here I am.

Looking for the Johnstone family from around Durham who were farmers & grandparents of Stephen Harper & so parents of his mother Margaret Johnstone-Harper.

G. Bertrand

Posted: 29 Apr 2010 8:03PM GMT
is there any news on prime minister stephen harper great grandparents on either side - ie when the family arrived here in canada and from where does he hark
thanks

Posted: 29 Apr 2010 10:22PM GMT
Let's see.

The Harpers were from Sledmere in Yorkshire in England.
William Harper & Phoebe Halliday both died in Sackville, Westmorland, New Brunswick.They were married there in 1810 on August 30th.

The Johnson Family also come from England a place called Swaby in Lincoln area.

Margaret Johnston's parents were Rupert Johnston & Catherine Jane Herd, they w2ere married in Hanover in Ontario at the Presbytarian Church on October 17, 1928.

Margaret Johnson wed Joseph Harris Harper on September 18, 1954 in Toronto.

Online you can find info on the Johnston from the Public Library in Durham Co: & also online you can find the Harper story documented from the area of Moncton etc. .

Gilberte
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.