Search for content in message boards

LEWIS/ MARACLE/ GREEN Families - Tyendinaga, Hastings,Ontario

LEWIS/ MARACLE/ GREEN Families - Tyendinaga, Hastings,Ontario

Sandra Purkis (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2005 12:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LEWIS/ MARACLE/ GREEN Families - Tyendinag, Hastings, Ontario
I am now researching my grandfather's families. His name was Stanley William Parks of Napanee and his wife's name was Helen Ruth Weese of Belleville.
Does anyone have any information on the above families who are related through marriage to me?
- Elsie Eileen Maracle b 9 July 1914 Tyendinaga Reservation. She married my great aunt Stella May Parks' son Harold Ferdinand Alkenbrack. Elsie was the daughter of Steven & Sarah Green.
- May Margaret Green who married Aunt Stella's son Ibri Vernon Alkenbrack, daughter of Levi Green.
- Jim Green who married Josephine Alkenbrack.
- Sarah Maria Lewis born abt 1821 in Tyendinaga who married Nathaniel Appleby in 1842. She is my 3rd great grandmother.
I would appreciate any information.
Thank you
Sincerely,
Sandra Purkis

Re: LEWIS/ MARACLE/ GREEN Families - Tyendinaga, Hastings,Ontario

Posted: 10 Mar 2011 5:08PM GMT
Hi my name is Arnold Alkenbrack, Stella May Parks Was my grandmother. Aunt Elsie & Uncle Harold. I knew them all.
Grandmother Stellas Mothers name was Helen Appleby Parks. Not sure if this will help but it sure is interesting Best Regards A Alkenbrack

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 2:40PM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2011 2:41PM GMT
Hi Arnold,
Thanks for getting back to me. Stella May Parks was my grand aunt. Helen Appleby Parks was my great grandmother. Stanley, her son, was my grandfather.

I have little info re: the Lewis, Maracle or Green side of our family. I only know that I'm the 1st cousin once removed of Harold Ferdinand Alkinbrack, m. to Elsie Eileen Maracle.

Are the Maracles or Greens Native Indians? I ask this because I notice that some of my relatives were born or buried in Tyendinaga Reservation. One of my mother's relatives - Helen Weese married Ori Loft from the Reservation and she is buried there. Helen maried a Green after Ori died. Love to hear from you. Thank you. Sandra Purkis. (My mother's name - Parks - her mother's name - Weese)

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 7:27PM GMT
Hello Sandra
Your right on the Greens & Maracles Mentioned are Native. The Parks name is Irish descendants Stella May Parks Married William Briden Alkenbrack Descendent from Germanic line the original was Erkenbrecht Very large family as is the Parks family.

Regards A M Alkenbrack

Posted: 15 Mar 2011 1:00PM GMT
The Maracle name - in origin - is German from Merkil who were UE's.

Posted: 15 Mar 2011 2:17PM GMT
Dear M Willette,

Thank you for telling me that. My family on my mother's side were both U.E.s - the Weese family of Ameliasburgh and the Parks family of Hay Bay and Napanee.

The Weese's were German/Dutch and the Parks were originally from England but married into many nationalities - Irish being one of them.

Posted: 15 Mar 2011 2:28PM GMT
Dear AM,

Thank you for your response.I am proud that we have Natives in our family tree. If not for them, the U.E. women and children could not have come to Canada. Many a Mohawk scout helped them. Not only that but the Natives helped the U.E.s in the 1812 War also. We probably would not have won if not for their combined effort. The U.E. Natives and whites were extremely loyal to the King and Queen Anne before him. I have actually written a book about our Weese family in the 1775 Revolution & how Molly Brant's scouts helped many a woman and child through the wilderness to Sorel, Quebec where the men were stationed. I have had 2 books published
1- on the Champlains' marriage but my publisher doesn't feel there will be enough interest to publish the U.E. book.

Back to our family - do you know anything about the Lewis side? And can you give me any parents' names of the Maracles or Greens? I would truly appreciate it.
History is one of my keen interests.
Sandra

Posted: 15 Mar 2011 3:02PM GMT
That spelling was originally Weiss and they were also Irish Palatines. Check the Irish Palantine website for more info n that. Weese/Weiss is as interchangeable as McDonald/McDonnell/MacDonald/McDaniel...

Happy Hunting

Posted: 15 Mar 2011 3:03PM GMT
btw... Jean (Jane) Merkil married Donald McDonald... the line from which I descend.

Posted: 15 Mar 2011 3:20PM GMT
Hi again,

Thank you once again. Interesting!

The Marilyn Adams Centre in Ameliasburgh has the Weese family as German Palatines. Johannes Sr. the first U.E. to settle with his family in Ameliasburgh was supposed to be German Palatine by ancestry. He married a Dutch woman, Juliana or Harriet Hogle.

Now, I'm confused. All the Census' have my grandfather, Amos Hamilton Weese as German, as well as his father.

I know there's Irish in the family but it comes from my mother's father's ancestors - the Parks family. My great grandmother was Helen Appleby Rennick & her father was born in Ireland.

I need to do more hunting. Thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.