Search for content in message boards

Looking for info about Antoine-Louis Descomps dit Labadie and Marie/Mannon Sauteuse Indian (his second wife)

Looking for info about Antoine-Louis Descomps dit Labadie and Marie/Mannon Sauteuse Indian (his second wife)

Diane Normandin (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2003 3:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Descomps dit Labadie, Labadie; Normandin, Roy, Thibodeau
Antoine-Louis Descomps dit Labadie was the son of Pierre Descomps dit Labadie and Angélique DeLacelle. Antoine-Louis Descomps dit Labadie was married 3 times. His first wife was Angélique Campau, married 26 feb. 1759. His second 'wife' was Marie or Mannon, a Sauteuse Indian woman.They had about 8 children between 1768 and 1783, all baptized in Assumption Church, Windsor/Sandwich Ontario. His third wife was Charlotte Barthe, married 18 Oct. 1784. I am especially interested in any info about Marie/Mannon the Sauteuse Indian woman, as to her real name, her parents (whether she was the daughter of Chief Pontiac)and any dates pertained to a wedding or burial. Some of their descendants lived in the
Detroit, Essex or Kent county areas.
Thanks for any help that can be provided, any info would be appreciated.
Contact me at: difleurdelys@yahoo.ca

Re: Looking for info about Antoine-Louis Descomps dit Labadie and Marie/Mannon Sauteuse Indian (his second wife)

gerry rock (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2003 8:05PM GMT
I believe i put most of that data on genforum.genealogy.com forum Labadie. The indian woman's name was Marie. She was baptized in July 1783 while dangerously ill and pregnant with her last child. That cild was bor 31 Dec 1773 and buried 1 Jan 1784. Marie died in Feb 1784. Mannon was a domestic slave purchased for 80 bushels of wheat to help Marie in the household with a very special arrangement. She had become the mate of their male slave Jean baptiste and bor a child also named Jena Baptiste baptized in 1783. Indian custom is that all women share in the rearing of the children so she was helping Marie. When Marie died she simply carried on raising the Badichon children and her own. (There is a possibility that she had 10 of her own between 1776 and 1792 when the father Jean Baptiste died still a Labadie slave. This lead up to the belief that Antoine had 33 children). The Badichon children remembered no other mother than the foster mother Mannon. This has lead to massive confusion.

As for the Pontiac story, thats a different ballgame. Marie is most likely the real daughter of Pntiac. Antoine and Marie had a "COUNTRY WEDDING" in 1768. (A wedding performed by an Indian chief.) The first Badichon child Joseph was born in April 1769. Pontiac was murdered in Kaskasia Illinois in 1769. The only documented evidence to her being Pontiac's daughter is in the ancient papers on record in Detroit if you can find it. There are no church records to that effect. The church identifies her as a Sauteuse sauvage in almost all the baptizmal records for the children. These records all exist in the Assumption church records. Non of the children were baptized as Badichon. Most of them were baptized as Descomps dit Labadie or Descombes dit Labadie.

Good luck Gerry.

Re: Looking for info about Antoine-Louis Descomps dit Labadie and Marie/Mannon Sauteuse Indian (his second wife)

Posted: 14 Jan 2003 4:18AM GMT
Surnames: Descomps dit Labadie, Labadie; Normandin, Roy, Thibodeau
Thanks Gerry! You have cleared up a few things for me. I appreciate your prompt reply. I will be sure to check out the genforum on genealogy.com as well.
I am glad that you were able to clarify the Marie and Mannon situation. There is so much info out there that is confusing so to have this explained has been a great help to me.I have a few questions, just so I am clear on some things:

Would you happen to know the names of the children of Antoine and Marie? Did they all go by dit Badichon when they were older? Do you know where the dit name Badichon comes from? Is it a native given name? What is the source for their 'country wedding'?

So Antoine had no children by Mannon? So it appears that Mannon's children are by another slave Jean-Baptiste? Is there a list somewhere of the known children of Mannon? Were any baptized in Assumption? Is there any information about how many slaves he had?

So did Antoine appear to have only 23 children by his three wives? Do you know much about his other wives? Do you know what happened to Mannon?

Thanks for your opinion on the Pontiac situation. Do you know where the records about Pontiac are to be found in Detroit?

I assume that you are a descendant of Antoine and Marie? Do you have a lot of info about the descendants of this couple? If you know a good website to read, I'd appreciate it, as there is so much info out there, it's hard to know what seems reliable sometimes.

Thank you very much Gerry! I appreciate your time and patience! If you would rather answer my questions privately, please email me at difleurdelys@yahoo.ca

gerry rock (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2003 7:35PM GMT
Here is my position. I am a direct descendent via Sophie Labadie of Antoine Descombes dit Labadie the son of Antoine Louis and Marie the Sauteuse woman.

I have the baptismal record of the male Panis slave born in 1746, and his inhumation record in 1792. I also have them for all the children of Marie and for her as well. The first 3 of them were christened as Descombes dit Labadie. The rest were christened as Descomps dit labadie.

In addition there were several census figures taken from 1750 to about 1780. They show that Antoine louis ontained the slave man from his father. They also show that Marie did not raise the 5 children of Angelique Campau. They also show that in the 1780 time perion Antoine owned 1 male slave and 1 female slave. The male slave's death record is in 1792. Mannon died much later. She was there with the children from the time the oldest Joseph was 6, being borne in April of 1769. When Marie died he was turning 15. The rest were much younger of course. Marie was christened in 1783 in the house of "BADICHON". This is the earliest church record of the name Badichon that I can find. Her burial record is in February of 1784 after the 1 January 1784 burial of her newborne child.
In 1783 summer a slave child was christened in Antoine Louis's household (not a child of Antoine) in "L'EGLISE DE L'ASSOMPTION DE LA POINT DE MONTREAL DU DETROIT". This is also known as Mission Huronne de la Pointe de Montreal du Detroit and is of course the parent church from which Assumption church and parish were formed. All records (in French) have been assumed by Assumption.
His total was 23 children, 5 by Angelique Campau, 8 by Marie, and 10 by Charlotte Barthe who left the raising of the indian children to Mannon.
Articles exist that claim he had 33 children. The only was that could have occurred is if Mannon had 10. It's a proven fact that she had at least 1. I have no proof she had 9 more. There was a time period from 1775 to 1792 when she co-existed in the Labadie house with the slave. Anything can happen in 17 years. I do know that the Badichon children were treated badly from my grandmother's stories passed on to me, as if they were also being treated as slaves.

I have an ancestral tree of most of the line from Antoine the son and some of the others as well but my computer is not connected to the internet. I use my son's for that. If yuo can handle Gedcom format, I can produce a floppy that you may be able to read. Try WWW.GENFORUM.GENEALOGY.COM LABADIE FORUM. Truy also Ancestry.com and ask for Antoine Labadie. There is lots there.

The internet abounds with Pontiac data, but if you are looking for a tie-in to Marie you will have to find it in Detroit. I havent found it yet. Just do a search for Pontiac and filter out cars, cities etcetera. You'll get more than you asked for. Try also Fort Poinchartrain. the history of the fort includes data on him.
In Detroit access the Denisson records. They are considered as the top source for any Detroit data.

If you can read French then go to the fort records and the church records of Ste Anne de Detroit for births, marriages, deaths. as well as Assumption church under the previous 2 names. Happy hunting. Gerry

Posted: 16 Jan 2003 4:31AM GMT
Surnames: Descomps dit Labadie, Labadie, Badichon; Normandin, Roy, Thibodeau
I am so pleased by the information you have Gerry! I am very interested in what you know about this couple, as I am doing research for my friend who I am related to as well, so I want to know what I can, as I could very possibly be related as well. We are both very excited by your findings. It is an interesting time period in our history too to be sure. I didn't know that there are census records dating back that early. Antoine sure sounds like one interesting guy.

The whole slave issue is an intriguing one as well. I am especially interested in Marie and her children, but I am also interested in Antoine's other children. If Marie did not raise Angélique Campau's children, who did? I also appreciate your clarification of Assumption and the parent church. Do you have a copy of the article that mentions him having 33 children? I would be curious to read it. That is so sad about the treatment that the Badichon children received.

I would very much appreciate seeing what you have about Antoine-Louis Descomps dit Labadie's entire family. I am especially interested in his children with Marie, but I would also like to know more about his other children. I have Family Tree Maker so I can handle a gedcom file if you could attach it to an email (my address is below). Also a great thanks for showing me where else I can look for info on Antoine and Pontiac. It makes quite a difference in knowing where to look next.

Thanks again Gerry, you've been a great help! Diane
you can reach me privately at: difleurdelys@yahoo.ca

gerry Rock (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2003 5:52PM GMT
I am not connected to the internet. I have to use either library resources or my son's computer. Mine is a Mac. I could send you a floppy of data but you will have to E-mail me your address direct. Don't put it in this forum. Hit PRINT PREVIEW to see my E-mail address and go from there. I can zerox some data at a store also to send. The preferred alternative is for me to E-mail my address to you and you send a self-addressed stamped large envelope to me. The problem is portability. Can you get the data read off a disc formatted for MAC? FROM NOW ON LETS JUST USE THE DIRECT ADDRESSES. GERRY.

SYung (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2003 5:16AM GMT
Gerry would you have anything on a Teresa Descomps dit Labadie OR Badichon? Teresa married Charles Bernier.
Skye

gerry rock (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2003 5:07PM GMT
Hi. Yes I have her baptismal record. She was baptised at 5 years of age on 17 Nov 1782, with Pierre age 7, and Cecile age 2 all in the same record. Godparents Nicolas Langlois, and Marguerite Martin for her. Reference L'EGLISE DE L' ASSOMPTION DE LA POINTE DE MONTREAL DU DETROIT record # 6566B.The priest was Hubert. Parents "Antoine Descompse L'Abbadie et d'une Sauvagesse". Will that do for starters?

Gerry

gerry rock (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2003 5:08PM GMT
forgot to tell you that her name was spelled "THERESE".

GERRY

S Yung (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2003 5:16PM GMT
Thanks Gerry I appreciate the baptismal.
Skye
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.