Search for content in message boards

John Bush and Nancy King Bush

John Bush and Nancy King Bush

E.G. Bush (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2004 4:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bush, King
Looking for information about my greatgreatgreat grandparents. They are John Bush and Nancy King Bush.

This is the information I have on them:
John Bush (b.1773 Franklin Co., GA - d.About 1847 Oxford, Benton Co., AL), who married (27 Mar 1804 Greene County, Georgia) Nancy King (b.14 Jul 1789 Halifax, VA - d.18 Apr 1859 Oxford, Calhoun Co., AL)
They moved to Benton County, Alabama in 1836 and had a large farm just outside Oxford, Alabama where they spent the rest of their lives. (Benton County became Calhoun County in 1858).

According to Nancys obituary in the South Western Baptist Newspaper, she "Departed this life on the 18th of April 1859 of pulmonary apoplexy at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. J. A. Holland, Oxford, Calhoun County". It also states "Several children and a large circle of friends and acquaintances are left to mourn her loss." The only child of theirs I have any information on is my greatgreat grandfather, Albert Peyton Bush.

Family "stories" have it that John's parents were Daniel Bush and Elizabeth Toney. Nancy is supposed to be the daughter of an Edmund King. It is said her sister Joicy married John's brother William. All of whom are supposed to have died in Franklin County, Georgia

Though I have lots of information on these speculative ancestors, I have no evidence linking them to John and Nancy (county records, church documents, etc).

Anyway, thank you in advance for any light you may be able to shed.

Re: John Bush and Nancy King Bush

Beverly Bush (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2004 8:54AM GMT
I have info. on this John Bush ( John Council Conrod Bush Jr. he was my GGGG Grandfather. Born 1783, Jones Co., NC, Died, June 1813, in Laurens Co. Ga. He married a Nancy
King in 1804 in Greene Co., Ga. They had 4 children. He was
also married to Eady Elizabeth Tyson Bush, in 1796. They
had 4 children. I got this info. from a Family History handed down, and the same info., is listed in Ancestry. com I am
hoping this info. is correct, as I am trying to update my
Family History Book. My listing for Nancy, has her birth date
on June, 1788, Let me know if these are the same people,
please. Thank You. I have the listings on down to my family
now.

Re: John Bush and Nancy King Bush

E.G. Bush (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2004 10:57PM GMT
Surnames: Bush, King
Beverly,

The marriage in Greene County, GA appears to be the only "known" commonality with my John Bush and Nancy King Bush. The following is a transcript of the obituary for Nancy that appeared in the "South Western Baptist Newspaper" on July 21, 1859:
"Departed this life on the 18th of April 1859 of pulmonary apoplexy at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. J. A. Holland, Oxford, Calhoun County, AL, Mrs. Nancy Bush, relict of John Bush, age 69 years. The subject of this notice was the daughter of Edmund and Elizabeth King and was born in Halifax County, VA, July 14, 1789. She married in Green County, GA in 1804 and joined the Baptist Church at Grove Level, Franklin County, GA in 1833. She removed with her husband to AL in 1836 and resided there until her demise. Several children and a large circle of friends and acquaintances are left to mourn her loss."

John's will was signed September 6,1847 and was Probated Nov 15, 1847. It mentioned Wife Nancy. Children: Anderson C, James J, Daniel, Judith Holland, John, William C, Mary Elston, Albert P., Edmond T.

Albert P. was Albert Peyton Bush, my greatgreat grandfather. According to my great granduncle's papers (Thomas Greene Bush, son of Albert Peyton and brother to my great grandfather John Curtis), John and Nancy moved from Georgia to Alabama and "...lived on their farm near Oxford, until their death...". From this, I draw a conclusion that John also died in Benton County (Calhoun County since 1858).

As for the 1796 marriage to Eady Elizabeth Tyson, I doubt this is the link as the children were not mentioned in my John's will. According to Lynne Brown [a descendant of John Council Bush, Jr. (1781) and Eady Tyson via their son Moses Eason Bush,Sr. (1797-1847-GA and AL)-Julia Ann Calhoun (1794-1833)], the father John Council Bush,Sr. (1752-1805 Wilkes, GA) was married to Susanna Bryan (1763-1820).

This would link this family with an article I found in "The Early Records of Georgia", Volume I, Wilkes County abstracted and compiled by Grace Gillam Davidson, published in 1933 at Macon, GA, [Wilkes County] WILL BOOK "G G" --1806-1807
End of Page 71 - The Early Records of Georgia, Volume I, Wilkes County - Page 72:
"Page 101--BUSH, JOHN. Property to be kept together till the youngest child is 12. To dau. Elizabeth Bush, to two next daus. Polly Bryant Bush and Zilphah Bush, to dau. Jane Smith Bush, to dau. Susanna Franks Bush, furniture, silver, etc. Wife Susanna and son John Conrod Bush and Samuel Alexander, Excrs. Signed Mar. 10, 1805. Probated Aug. 5, 1805. Francis Flurney, Phillip Burrow, Littleton Taylor, Test." [NOTE: "End of Page" notations refer to the page numbers of the original (1933) Mrs. Davidson book. Page numbers beside a person's name refer to the page from the primary source, such as a will or deed book.]

Further, this would now tie in to an email by Coach Cal Campbell, I quote:
"My records show that William R Bush was the son of John Council Bush, Jr and the brother of Moses Eason Bush. Zachariah Bush was also a brother. John Council Bush, Sr had a son named William Bush. Maybe he was the one who was the son-in-law of William Williams. William Williams was the Lighthouse Keeper on St. George Island at Appalachacola. He built the first cotton gin in Barbour County. it states that there were 4 Williams brothers: Mark williams, William Williams, Charley williams, and Bartley C Williams. Bartley was the first postmaster of Williamston at the Ryan Cross Roads. William Williams married Arrency Bush, the daughter of Zachariah Bush and Polly Dennis. One mistake that the book mentions is that the Bush boys were from Charleston SC. That is of course not true and is documented from many other sources. Again, I refer your friends to the book by Elizabeth Willis DeHuff, "The Bush Family as descended from John and Mary Bryan Bush", that is in the NC State Library. It has the entire family published and documented with deeds from NC through GA into Barbour Co, AL. As to the Eliza Jones and Ariel Jones, I do not have any knowledge of them in Barbour County."

If the email addresses are still valid, you can reach Lynne Brown at lynnieb@elink.net and Coach Campbell at GYHG84A@prodigy.com

Though doubtful as it appears, anything is possible and real evidence may someday surface. Meanwhile, I hope this helps in your quest.

E.G. Bush

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.