Search for content in message boards

Neepawa MB

Neepawa MB

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 3:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am wondering if anybody subscribing to this list would have a history book for Neepawa and the surrounding area.

I am looking for a family that lived there but eventually left the area.

Edgar Harry O'Neill [4 Feb 1880-1964] and Queen Lothrop [9 Apr 1888-19 Feb 1966] were living in Neepawa in 1908 when their second child was born. Their family consisted of Macy Harry b. 1906, Frederick Town b. 1908, Elaine Nancy b. 1912, Keith b. 1914, Kenneth b. 1916 and Dona b. 1922. Most of the children were born at Neepawa or in the Neepawa area. The family eventually left the area and returned to ON.

Kenneth "Ken" O'Neill married Florence Elizabeth Smith who was born in abt 1916 at Neepawa. Her parents were Arthur Albert Smith and Margaret Esther Johanna Essie Buchanan.

I am wanting to check the Neepawa History book to see if there is any follow up in the book on the early settlers who may have lived in Neepawa but left the area.

Wilma

Re: Neepawa MB

Posted: 7 Mar 2011 6:21AM GMT
I do not have a copy but have some details from a book that might help you.
Someone may do look up from RAOK.

Through Fields and Dreams...a History of the R.M. of North Norfolk and McGregor published in 1998 and consisting of 2 volumes.

Hope this info helps.
Lee

Posted: 7 Mar 2011 2:34PM GMT
Thanks, now that I have an actuall name for a book I'll try my local libray.
Wilma

Re: Neepawa MB O,NEILL, Edgar Harry

Posted: 7 Mar 2011 7:22PM GMT
Surnames: O'NEILL, LOTHROP , SMITH, BUCHANAN
Hi Wilma, Public Library for Neepawa may have the book -Also Manitoba Genealogical Society -
Provincial Archives - may hold copies.

The family of Edgar Harry O'NEILL & Queen LOTHROP were in Neepawa from 1908 to ?
Son Kenneth O'NEILL married Florence Elizabeth SMITH -daughter of Arthur Albert SMITH & Margaret Esther Johanna ESSIE SMITH - nee BUCHANAN.

Did the Smith family remain in NEEPAWA - They may have submitted family history -including the O'NEILL family.

Cheers & Good Luck, Stella

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 3:24AM GMT
Neepawa is outside the coverage of the history book for the R.M. of North Norfolk and Macgregor. I don't know whether there is a history book Neepawa.

gg

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 4:32AM GMT
Hi Wilma, It is quite possible that the book may not mention the family. All depends on who submits information to the Local History Books.

Doing a search I found the following -to many words to go through -late dinner is burning
http://billbuchanan.byethost17.com/BuchanansOfNeepawa.htm
HERITAGE - A history of the Town of Neepawa and District as told and recorded by its people 1883 - 1983
July 1-8 1983 Compiled by the History Book Committee at Neepawa, Manitoba
I think the page that comes up - is an excerpt from the book-
http://www.neepawa.ca/museum/neephist.htm
Neepawa Land titles office
http://www.neepawa.ca/profile/titles.asp
Cheers, Stella

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 4:44AM GMT
There is a book called "Heritage : Neepawa Land of Plenty 1883-1983" Compiled by the History Book Committee at Neepawa, Manitoba

Unfortunately there is no O'Neill family therein.
There are Buchanans and Smiths, but no Arthur Albert Smith
and no mention of his wife, Margaret Buchanan.

I did not look through the 366 pages before the Family Histories section begins. It is possible there may be a mention of them there.

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 3:01PM GMT
I just went through a couple more family history books that did not have indexes. This time I was looking for another family, one in Souris and one in Carberry. Both of these families owned and operated the theatre in these towns so I thought that there would be something about them in the books. Just like the Neepawa book I came up with nothing. Thanks for trying.
Wilma

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 3:08PM GMT
Stella I hope that your supper did not burn. I have been involved in some kind of research while supper was in the process of cooking. There have been times that I wanted to finish what I was going and almost lost my supper.

You are right about nothing being put into family history books on some families. I went through the Souris and Carberry history books yesterday looking for two other families. In this case I thought that they would have been mentioned somehow as they both owned and operated movie theatres in the towns. In this family I don't think the children remained in the area so that would also be a reason there was no mention of the people I was looking for. The books were not even indexed and that made it harder to look things up. The O'Neill that I was looking for was a teacher in Neepawa.

Wilma

Re: Neepawa MB O'NEILL,LOTHROP,SMITH, BUCHANAN

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 9:11PM GMT
Surnames: O'NEILL,LOTHROP, SMITH, BUCHANAN
Hi Wilma, Dinner was on the edge of a bit to crispy - Excellent - may burn more.{actually I have been know to burn boiled eggs -explode all over the kitchen etc - while I think a neighbour is having a morning barbecue

Unless Families submit family histories/stories to the local History book project - usually families will not appear - unless a brief mention by name but usually easily missed during the indexing.
In the index [- there may be a mention of the Theatres - may mention - the operators.
Town Museum/Archive/ Historical Society -or
should have some information about the area. Someone will know the names of theatres - locations of same etc - perhaps owners/operators etc.

*our family were pioneers in Alberta-some connected family members - can be found in a number of the local history books. My grandfathers cousins family submitted many stories - about their father/grandfather - as well each family published individual stories all connected to the original.

Our family had left Alberta and were not aware of the project - so we do not appear in any of the books - though one family connected - mentions that my grandmothers neice and nephews came to Canada - and stayed with aunt and uncle with the names mentioned - but not indexed.since there was really not family story to connect.
** My grandfather had not been aware that his cousin had come to Canada - lived fairly close. Attended churches in their own locations - so never met -The cousin was 10 years older than my grandfather -grandfather came 2 years earlier
I found the family by accident - when I recieved the wrong birth Registration for Catherine - dates were wrong - fathers name was wrong-both mothers were Julia.

Cheers & Good Luck, Stella
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.