Search for content in message boards

Jonathan Blythe

Jonathan Blythe

Posted: 9 Nov 2004 11:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Apr 2005 10:50PM GMT
Surnames: Blythe
Does anyone have prove of Jonathans parents. Some say William Blythe and Sarah Murphee others say William Blythe and Sarah Osborne. Was William married twice or are they different people? Was it the same Sarah only used different last names because she was married before? Both had sons Jonathan. I need the one married to Annie Nancy Barnes.

Re: Jonathan Blythe

Posted: 10 Nov 2004 5:56PM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2006 8:13PM GMT
Jo Ann,

I'm descended from Jonathan Blythe and his wife, Nancy Annie Barnes/Shoop (She is referred to by both her mother's and her father's surnames because of the matrilineal culture of her mother [Barnes] and the patrilineal culture of her father [Shoop]). I believe Jonathan was the son of William Blye/Blythe and Sarah Osborne. Sarah Murphree is believed to have been William Blye/Blythe's second wife.

I descend through Sarah "Sally" Blythe, daughter of Jonathan Blythe and Sarah Osborne and Sally's husband, Anguish McDonald. I would love to compare notes with you.

Jean Darnall
<jdarnall@ix.netcom.com>

Posted: 10 Nov 2004 7:05PM GMT
Surnames: Blythe, Welch
Yes, that makes more sence and why everyone agrees on the William but not on the mother of Jonathan.
Our line goes from Elizabeth daughter of Jonathan to her marriage to John B. Welch through their son Lloyd.
Will get back to you again. Thanks for the answer.

June Herman (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2004 2:17AM GMT
My line is also Elizabeth Blythe Welch. And her daughter Mary Welch who married Dr. John Alvin Powell. Would like to share info.

Posted: 19 Nov 2004 5:27PM GMT
Do you know Jonathans mothers name? Sarah Murphee or Sarah Osborne. About half of the people on line think one or the other. Does anyone have prove?
Did Jonathan have son Jonathan Jr. or was it Thomas Jonathan?
I have some info on Marys marriage and children with Dr. Powell.
Would like to compare notes.

Jean Darnall (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2004 7:23PM GMT
Jo Ann-

I've seen both Sarah Murphree and Sarah Osborne named as Jonathan Blythe's mother. After reviewing all the posts and information, I believe Sarah Osborne is the most likely mother of our Jonathan Blythe.

Below is the information I have (compiled from indirect sources) on the children of Jonathan Blythe. You'll need to evaluate this information against your own sources:

Children of Jonathan Blythe and Nancy Barnes/Shoop are:
i. William Blythe, born Abt 1790; died 1856 Indian Territory, OK. He married Nancy Fields Oct 31, 1809 Rhea Co., TN.
ii. Anastasia Blythe, born Abt 1789; died Aft 1835. She married Alexander DeArmand.

Notes for Anastasia Blythe:
1. NICKNAME: “Stacy” or “Sasa”

2. APPLICATIONS: No applications were found claiming Cherokee descent from Stacy’s descendents.

iii. Rebecca Blythe, born 1796, SC. she married William Burrell Wall Jr.

Notes for Rebecca Blythe:
1. CHEROKEE INDIAN REMOVAL: Rebecca’s husband served in W.L. Connelly’s Company C during the Cherokee Indian Removal.

iv. Leoma “Omie” Blythe, born Abt. 1797 SC; died Abt 1891 Valley River, Cherokee Co., NC. She married Jonathan Parker 1818.

Notes for Leoma Blythe:
1. APPLICATIONS: The largest number of applications for recognition of Cherokee descent came from this branch of Annie Blythe’s descendents.

v. Sarah Annie Blythe, born Abt 1800 in Buncombe Co., NC; died 1887 in Blackwell Mtn., Cherokee Co., NC. She married William Anguish McDonald Abt 1815 in South Carolina. .
vi. Thomas Henry Blythe, born Abt. 1785.

Notes for Thomas Henry Blythe [SOURCE: “Cherokee By Blood”]:
1. NAME: LDS record lists his name as “Thomas Jonathan”. He never married. Went to California and worked in a mine; drowned; a girl named “Ann Blythe” claimed his estate.

vii. Mary Ann Blythe, born Jul 28, 1808. She married George Washington Hampton Abt 1825.

Notes for Mary Ann Blythe:
1. CHEROKEE INDIAN REMOVAL: Her husband served in Enoch Cunningham’s Company A during the removal.

viii. Elizabeth “ Betsey” or “Betty” Blythe, born 1802 Marble, Cherokee Co., NC; died 1885 Marble, Cherokee Co., NC. She married John B. Welch 1819.

Notes for Betsey Blythe:
1. MYSTIQUE: Betsey was considered half Cherokee and half French.

2. RESIDENCE: John Welch and Betty Blythe lived about 4 miles East of Murphy, NC.

3. HEROINE: Betsey was the heroine of Judge Strange’s romance, “Yonagusks” based on the story of how she saved her future husband’s life. Connected with the early history of Cherokee County is the story of Betty and John told by Judge Robert Strange:

“…a half breed by the name of John Welch, who was of French extraction, killed a full-blood Cherokee by the name of Leech, near the present town of Andrews, Cherokee Co., NC. According to the Cherokee principle of the tribe, Leeche’s nearest Cherokee relation, Oneguskee (or Yoneguskee) was obligated to kill Welch. Oneguskee followed Welch to the Smoky Mountains, then to Paint Rock, later to the New Found Mountains, and still later to Pickens, SC. It seems that at the latter place Welch fell in love with a white girl by the name of Betty Blythe, who upon being informed by her lover that Oneguskee was seeking his life went to the latter and interceded successfully for her half-breed suitor. John Welch, husband of Betty, was known as the “Avenger of Blood” and was a prominent citizen of his county. Oneguskee, the would-be avenger, soon became reconciled to him, especially after his daughter had become the wife of Rev. Gideon Morris, a Baptist preacher of Cherokee Co., NC.”

ix. James Blythe, born Abt 1804, SC; married Sally Downing Bef 1835.

Notes for James Blythe:
1. VALLEY RIVER: James was one of the first white settlers on Valley River. In 1860 he owned five slaves, and the estimated value of his property was $6,000.

2. CHEROKEE INDIAN ROLLS: His family and the John B. Welch family were enumerated on Cherokee Indian rolls because both Sally Downing, his wife (a full-blooded Cherokee), and John Welch had obvious Indian blood lines.

x. Nancy Blythe, born Abt 1806, SC; died 1892, Akins, Sequoyah Co., OK.

Child of Jonathan Blythe and Que-Di-Si/Quatsie Littledog is:
i. Jackson Blythe, born 1811 Macon Co., NC; died march 14, 1900 Jackson co., NC; married (M1) So-Da-Yi-/Sah-Dohy-Ah-Oo-Yo-Sis-Ter; married (M2) Ollie Reed.

Children of Jonathan Blythe and Malinda Thompson are:
i. Mary Jane Blythe, born 1839, NC.
ii. Robert W. Blythe, born 1841 NC.
iii. John M. Blythe, born 1842, NC.

SOURCES:

1. William Loudermilk: "Descendants of Isaac Shupe/Shoop" Mar 2004.
2. Betty Wagner: "Research Notes on Jonathan Blythe" 2004.
3. The Heritage of Cherokee County, NC, Vol I.
4. Assorted Genealogy Forum posts.

If you acquire information that either confirms or changes this information, please keep me in mind.

Thanks so much.

Jean Darnall
<jdarnall@ix.netcom.com>

Posted: 22 Nov 2004 6:03PM GMT
I have most of what you do. There is a question as to the parents of Wm. wed to Nancy Fields. Some have John Blythe and Martha Chastain and not Jonathan Blythe and Annie Barnes. Also, there is a Thomas Henry Blythe that married Mary Granville with son Thomas Jr. I don't know his parents. Maybe confused with Thomas Jonathan son of Jonathan and Annie. I have the mother of Nancy as Elizabeth Quatie not Annie Barnes. Also, I have Sarah 1812 wed to George Blair as daughter of Little Dog and Jonathan. Not to be confused with Sarah 1805 wed to McDonald. Did Little Dog also have son Jackson 1811 with Jonathan. I only show one child.

Posted: 22 Nov 2004 8:12PM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2006 8:13PM GMT
Hi Jo Ann-

Most family researchers have indicated that Annie Barnes (marr to Isaac Shoop) is the mother of Nancy Annie Barnes/Shoop (marr to Jonathan Blythe).

That being said, all my information (previously posted) is from secondary sources, so I'm afraid I can only speculate about answers to your questions. Hopefully at least one of us will hook up with someone with primary source material who can shed light on the mysteries of this family line. If you find answers, please keep me in mind, and I'll do the same for you.

Good luck!

Jean Darnall
<jdarnall@ix.netcom.com>

Posted: 23 Nov 2004 12:20AM GMT
I have Isaac Shoup 1729-1758 wed to Nancy Barnes
Yen-Acona Old Choy Fields, died 1835 with children Annie Nancy Barnes1774-1840 wed to Jonathan. That is from several sources. Also, Nancy may have had sons Peter, Jacob, Adam. Good luck hope one of us finds the correct answers somewhere.

June Herman (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2004 12:41AM GMT
I don't know for sure which Sarah was Jonathan Blythe Mother.
The "Blythe Book" thinks that William that married Nancy Fields is Jonathan's brother,Johns son. I have only found one son for Jonathan and Annie, and thats James that married Sally Downing. The Book "Cherokee By Blood" vol one has about 10 pages on Annie Barnes, where they tryed to prove Indain Blood.
I found a obit on Lloyd Welch, in a old Cherokee Advocate. Do you have it?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.