Search for content in message boards

Jackson Family

Jackson Family

Posted: 23 Feb 2005 5:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Trying to find out parents names of a Sophia Jackson born Augusta 1815 or any info on family, I see a James Jackson married Mary Webb 1814, any connection?

Re: Jackson Family

Sandy Wunder (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2005 6:42PM GMT
I indexed the land records for Grenville Co. and there was an Edward Jackson who sold land in Augusta Twp. in 1806, Apr. 1811 and again in May 1816.

I don't see a purchase for him, so perhaps he received it as a land grant? He is listed as a Settler on Chewett's Map of Augusta in 1787. This is from Augusta Royal Township No. 7 book, P. 19, by Goldie Connell, publ.1985.

Lorne Olmstead (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2005 8:55PM GMT
From the book on Augusta mentioned by Sandy, in reference to McGuinn Cemetery "earliest tombstone readable is July 16, 1812. The property was originally a crown grant to Edward Jackson."

From the Old United Empire Loyalists List, William Jackson died March, 1783, and John Jackson, both soldiers, Loyal Rangers. (names which should belong on this list were frequently missed), probably the case with Edward Jackson.

From some early Augusta census records 1796 - 1848 (household heads and family by categories), since there was no census listed between 1807 and 1817, I will list household heads up to 1817. Edward and family appearing in 1796 census and beyond , In 1817 census, Christopher, unmarried, age 16 - 50, John, unmarried, age 16-50, Thomas, married 16-50, 1 woman, 3 female children. (that's if I'm reading correctly), Widow Jackson in 1807 census.

From Marriage Bonds of Ontario "GRIFFIN, Michael, of Esquesing, bch, & Sophia Jackson of Trafalger, spr. b. Miller Hempstead and John Jackson both of Trafalger, yeomen 30 Aug. 1834 at Toronto (I've only included this record because of the name and probable age of the bride.

Fom Jackson Publications & Informations Resources Web Site
"My Masonic Heritage

Many members of the Jackson family have been members of the Masonic Lodge. Edward Jackson (1754-1855) served in the King's 8th Regiment of foot of the British Army during the Revolutionary War and was stationed for some time at Niagara On The Lake, not far from where the first Masonic Lodge in Canada was founded by members of this regiment who were stationed here from 1773-1785. After the close of the war, Edward Jackson settled in what is now known as eastern Ontario. Ziba Phillips was affiliated as Past Master at New Oswegatchie in 1788 and installed as Master in 1789. Edward Jackson also served in the War of 1812 with Ziba Phillips Jr. ( 1787-1847 ). Ziba Phillips Jr. became Master of the Jarvis Chapter of the Masonic Lodge founded at Augusta, Canada in 1815. Many members of the Jackson family have been members of the lodge, both in Canada and the United States."
(that information would seem to be public domain)

I hope some of this may help.
Lorne

Clayton Ferguson (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2006 8:26PM GMT
Surnames: Jackson/Bowes/Brown
I'm still new at this but am looking for information on Robert Edward Jackson of (Leeds) eastern ontario married to Ellen Bowes and had a daughter Janet (b.1883) who married John Henry Brown. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 3:37AM GMT
Surnames: Jackson
I realize this was an old query, but I have Sophia Jackson in my line. There is a family member living in the U.S.A. that has done extensive work on the Edward Jackson family who was the father of Sophia. He has a web site:
www.jacksonpublications.com
If you are unable to connect to it let me know.

Posted: 27 Jul 2007 7:15PM GMT
Surnames: Jackson
Hi! We are interested in finding out more about Edward Jackson's parents. Do you have any other information on him? Thanks so much,it was great to find out more about him, he is my mom's great, great, great Grandfather on her paternal grandmother's side.

Edward Jackson+Marie Gadois? Thomsas Jackson+Susannah?

Posted: 26 May 2009 3:52AM GMT
Perhaps the families of Edward Jackson ~1753-185 & Thomas jackson 1789-1860 bear on your request. From secondary sources I can outline both families, but additions & corrections are requested.

Early Ontario Jacksons

Husb: Edward Jackson
born: Oct.1753-54 Ireland
Chr:
Military serv:
1775 Ireland [Cork? Wexford? ]
1776 Quebec, Canada
19 Sep 1777 Freeman's Farm, Saratoga New York
7 Oct 1777 29th Regiment Battle of Bemis Heights
1812 Fort Wellington, Prescott, Ontario
Mar 1813 New York, USA [again on British side]
Death: 9 Mar.1855 Augusta Tsp, Grenville ONT
Burial:
Father:
Mother:
mar: 19 Jan.1788 Christ Church Anglican, Montreal, QUE
Wife: Mary Gadways -Gadois -Gadrea -Gadory???
Birth: 1755- 65 Ile De Montreal? Quebec
Chr:
Death: 1805 Grenville ONT
Burial:
Father: Gadois??
Mother:
Children:
William Jackson
Children:
Birth:
Chr: 11 MAR 1792 Saint Andrew Presbyterian, Williamstown, Glengarry Ont
Death:
Burial:
mar:
THOMAS JACKSON see ff
Birth: ~1789
Chr: 11 MAR 1792 Saint Andrew'S Presbyterian, Williamstown, Glengarry Ont
Death: 1860
Burial:
mar:
James Jackson
Birth: 1794 Augusta, Grenville, Ontario
m. ~1816 Osnabrock Tsp. Ontrio Mary or Margaraet MATTICE-Mathews-Mathys
children: Carter Jackson ~1846 Augusta Ont, Wm Jackson ~1848 Augusta Ont
Christopher Stroud Jackson
Birth: ~1801 Augusta, Grenville ONT
Chr:
Death: 14 Sep.1876 Newmarket, York ONT
Burial: Newmarket, York ONT
mar:
George Jackson
Birth: 18 OCT 1803 Augusta, Grenville, Ontario
Chr:
Death:
Burial:
6?
===

Husb: Thomas Jackson #2 above
b.1789 Augusta Tsp, Grenville Ontario
chr: 11 Mar.1792 St. Andrew Presbyterian, Williamstown, Glengarry ONT
d.1860
Father: Edward Jackson
Mother: Mary GADWAYS -Gadois
wife: Susannah . . .
b~ 1790
m~1806 prob. Ontario
Children:
Mary Jackson
born: 1811 Augusta, Grenville, Ontario, d.1901
Sophia Jackson
born: 1815 Augusta, Grenville, Ontario, d.1908
John Jackson
Born:1816,
d.22 May 1879?,Augusta tsp,Leeds,Grenville ONT
Alexander Jackson
Birth: 1820 Augusta, Grenville, Ontario
George Jackson
Birth: 1823 Augusta, Grenville, Ontario
Lydia Jackson
born: 1826 Augusta, Grenville, Ontario, d.1896
Sarah Jackson
Birth: 15 Feb.1827 Augusta, Grenville or Middlesex Ontario
James Jackson
Birth: 1830 Augusta, Grenville, Ontario
Maria Jackson
born: 1831 Augusta, Grenville, Ontario, d.1907

Laura Jackson b.1889 Gouverneur, NY

Posted: 2 Jan 2010 4:26AM GMT
Surnames: Jackson/Rowe
I saw your interesting Marshall Family Tree which includes Laura Winefred Jackson. I am interested in Laura Jackson and her husband John Jackson. I found a NY newspaper that states that George Rowe, from Ogdensburg and Gouverneur NY, had an apopted daughter Laura Jackson. Interestingly, George's wife appears to be Mary Jackson, perhaps an aunt of John Jackson. I am trying to find Laura's parents and her maiden name if it is not Jackson.
Can you share any information on this family? I have cousins who are the granddaughters of Laura and I am trying to help them with this family.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Laura Jackson b.1889 Gouverneur, NY

Posted: 3 Jan 2010 2:11AM GMT
I have not done any work on the Jackson's in a while now. I did recall receiving some information from another relative who died some years ago. He gave me a copy of the Certificate of Marriage Registration which gives the date of marriage April 30, 1907, Ogdensburg, New York. The bride's parents are shown as James Jackson & Rose Mahue. Please contact me:
sharpes@sympatico.ca
and I will email you the copy, plus a copy of the newspaper obituary for John Erastus Jackson.

Posted: 31 Aug 2010 7:21PM GMT
She was married to my great,great,great grandfather Joseph Rice Reynolds..........Her father was Thomas Jackson, born 1789 Augusta Twp. Grenville Co. Ontario, Canada.........I have an unknown mother for her, married to Thomas in 1810 if I'm reading it right, and died in the 1840's
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.