Search for content in message boards

St. Thomas Census

St. Thomas Census

Posted: 14 Jul 2011 12:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
I know the St. Croix census is available, but does anyone know if they are working on St. Thomas? My family moved between the islands.

Re: St. Thomas Census

Posted: 15 Jul 2011 11:41AM GMT
There are soe census on Ancestry.com. Also there are othere records on FamilySearch.org. Look under Caribean.

Posted: 15 Jul 2011 12:27PM GMT
I looked, and everything on Ancestry is for St Croix and Familysearch only has one set of church registers. Can you send a link for what you're talking about?

Posted: 15 Jul 2011 4:13PM GMT
What year are you looking for?
On ancestry.com, the 1917 Danish census was used as the US 1920 census, 1930 is also available. prior to 1917 only St. Croix is available.

Posted: 15 Jul 2011 6:43PM GMT
Yes, that was my initial point. My family goes back through the entire St. Croix censuses, but there was some movement between the islands. I know a census was taken, I just wondered if anyone had any idea when it might be available.

I'm having a hell of a time finding my g-grandfather. I found the family in St. Croix, but the head of house is a woman listed as unmarried. This threw me until I saw lots of other households listing a man as unmarried and a woman as unmarried and noted "his wife". Seems they randomly filled out the Married data. Anyway, this woman generated children with the same last name (different from hers) every couple of years spanning two diffeerent censuses. Since the Danish didn't use family names in the mid 1800s it makes it more difficult. The problem is that not only is there no father listed, I can't find a reasonable candidate on the island. I'm thinking he worked on St. Thomas and the wife lived with her family on St. Croix.

Posted: 15 Jul 2011 10:44PM GMT
Common law marriages were "common" at the time, it is also possible that he worked and lived at another plantation, depending on the date, and was only with the family on his days off.
Have you tried diffrent spellings of the surname? depending on the census takers nationality, the spelling changes. Do you know when he died?
The census records for St. Thomas and St. Johns, originals, are in Denmark and written in Dutch/Danish, if there were copies on the islands, they have since been destroyed or lost.
I, too, for years have tried to find info on my family prior to the sale of the islands in 1917, and have had to piece the information together from church records, as best I can.
What year and name are you looking for?

Posted: 15 Jul 2011 11:11PM GMT
I'm looking for Conrad. No plantations, my whole family is from Christiansted (about 200 years in the same town). The information I see suggests that he was a Danish citizen, and probably of means. The Mother is named Sophia Andersen, and she started having Conrad children in 1854. She lived in a large house in Christiansted owned by her mother that she grew up in. The house eventually passed to Sophia, and had several families living there, so I assume she rented out rooms. I know nothing about the actual house.

The census reocords 4 children from 1854-1860, all named Conrad. Her only son, Andreas, was sent to Denmark for school and returned and became Comptroller of Customs for St. Croix. Not likely for simple island folk. It seems likely that he may have worked for the Government, which was centered in St. Thomas.

I have managed to assemble a database of all the census information, so I can look across the island on a large number of parameters, which is why I said I cant find a candidate on the island. He's got to be off-island, since he can't be dead or emigrated by 1855, had a kid in 1856, died again by 1857, had two more kids, died again by 1860, and had a 4th kid and died again. Plus, you know there were other children who did not survive until the census. Only way I can see for someone to never show up in the census is to live elsewhere, but with a regular stream of kids, he has to be close. It's not a long boat ride to St. Thomas.

The Danish had a habit of not taking "married" names, and of often naming children after a father (either first or last name). The other side of my family in St. Croix (Dutch) is much easier, since the Dutch used the modern naming method.

I have no access to Church records, I think they're all at Whim now for St. Croix, and a records center in St. Thomas. Where did you find them?

Are you looking for St. Thomas or St. Croix? If St. Croix, I'll be happy to see if I can find anything in the records.

Posted: 15 Jul 2011 11:31PM GMT
LDS Family history website, have church records that are not indexed, I had to go thru each individual one. I will check my sources and see what I can come up with.
I am searching all three islands, as well as the Dutch antilles.
Ann

Posted: 16 Jul 2011 1:16PM GMT
Thanks. My primary lines are Conrad and Von Beverhoudt. I know the latter were on St. Thomas too, I only assume the former.

Posted: 16 Jul 2011 6:51PM GMT
I don't know if you have this information, from "A list of names of Inhabitants-The Danish West Indies 1650 - 1825"
Conrad:
John Char. a soldier (36) died St. Cr. 6/16/1771
Conrads:
H. a soldier now, previous a leutenant in the horsedraggons drowned 8/14/1792 St. Croix.
I have a few other sources to check.
The Beverhoudts, originally of St. Johns, migrated to St. Thomas after the slave revolt of 1733-34. They were one of the original settlers of St. Johns, and make for a rather "colorful" family.
After the revolt on St. John, many plantation owners did move their opperations to St. Croix, but as that island, had its own problems, with takeovers, they eventually moved back.
I'll keep checking.
Ann
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.