Search for content in message boards

David Macdonald/Sarah Barton

David Macdonald/Sarah Barton

Posted: 9 Aug 2010 9:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Macdonald/Barton/Miller
Looking for information regarding my great great grandfather David; b: 1784 in NB; married Sarah in ????, d:1870 in Prince Edward County, Ontario. David was the first of 11 children of ???? David and Sarah had 13? children, 4 of which died young. Sarah was the daughter of Roger Barton b: 1730 in NY, came to NB in 1783, d: 1823+/- and was married to Elizabeth Miller b: 1755+/- in Savannah, GA.
Any help with David will be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: David Macdonald/Sarah Barton

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 5:04AM GMT
According to the 1851/2 census of Hillier Twp, Prince William Co., Canada West, David (ca. 1784) and Sarah (ca. 1786) McDonald were both b. NB. My first thought, with the name McDonald, is Queens Co., NB, and Roger Barton petitions for land there several times from 1790 to 1839.
Roger Barton received a grant of 550 acres in the Daniel Lyman Grant, on the Naswaak River (Penniac?), in York Co., NB 5OCT1784. He also received 200 acres in the Grand Lake area of Queens Co., NB 1OCT1784. A Roger Barton received 100 acres in Waterborough Parish, Queens Co., NB 19MAY1840.
Roger Barton (1730-1823) has a headstone erected (in 1883?) by his descendants in the Cox Point Road Cemetery, 'Waterville' (Waterborough) Parish, Queens Co., NB. Presumably this is where his daughter would meet and marry a McDonald. Of these there was little shortage.
McDonald grantees in Queens Co. were fairly numerous, but some of interest were:

David and John McDonald, Grand Lake area 1786
Alexander McDonald, Waterborough Parish 1819
Andrew, James and Robert McDonald, Waterborough Parish 1824
Alexander, David and John McDonald, Wickham Parish 1813

For Alexander, David and John McDonald in Wickham Parish, the 'First Families" site of the NBGS gives:

MCDONALD: Alexander McDonald born 25 Mar 1738 in Ireland, died 28 Mar
1834, s/o David and Ann McDonald: m. 1772 in NY, Rebecca Earle b. 1751, died
13 Feb 1845 d/o Marmaduke Earle: they came to NB in 1783 as Loyalists: settled at
MacDonalds Point in Wickham Parish, Queens County:
Children:
1) John McDonald b. 1 Mar 1777, m. 31 Dec 1798 Sarah Easton b. 11 Sep 1782, d.
20 Feb 1820, m. (2nd) 20 Feb 1823 Mary Belyea b. 1787: one source says he married
Susan MacDonald:
2) Marmaduke McDonald b. 4 Oct 1778, d. Aug 1779:
3) Ann McDonald b. - , died c1785:
4) David McDonald b. 17 Jun 1786, d. 21 Jul 1865, m. 16 Feb 1813 Jemima Belyea
and had ten children:
5) Mary McDonald b. 29 Feb 1788, m. 18 Sep 1805 Stephen/Daniel Smith:
6) Ann McDonald born 26 Jul 1791, married Mar 1810 John Golding born 21 Dec

This does not appear to have been David's family. However, note that the dates for David McDonald are somewhat incorrect. His headstone (McDonald's Point-Wickham Parish Cemetery) has him b. 1783, d. 21JUL1865 age 82 years. However, Jemima Belyea is given as 1773, an error for 1793, as she d. 17MAR1863 age 70 years.

For David McDonald in the Grand Lake area, St. John's Anglican Church in Gagetown has baptisms noted as:

McDonald Alexander Wickham McDonald David and Anna
McDonald Daniel 17 Feb 1794 Grand Lake McDonald David and Hannah
McDonald Francis 17 Feb 1794 Grand Lake McDonald David and Hannah
McDonald Hanna 17 Feb 1794 Grand Lake McDonald David and Hannah
McDonald Henry 17 Feb 1794 Grand Lake McDonald David and Hannah
McDonald John 17 Feb 1794 Grand Lake McDonald David and Hannah
McDonald William 29 Feb 1796 Grand Lake McDonald David and Hannah

It would appear that David and Hannah's family, if they had a son, David, b. ca. 1784, would also have had him baptized in 1794. There are some concepts to consider. Sarah Barton's sister, Elizabeth, is said to have m. Henry McDonald; possibly the Henry above.
Or the Henry Above may be the Henry McDonald b. NB ca. 1787, with a wife, Hannah (Pettingill, m. 1st Adam Garratt) (b. US ca. 1801), in Hillier Twp, Prince William Co., Canada West in 1851. On the same page of the census as Henry is 'Nathanael' McDonald b. NB ca. 1813. Elsewhere is John McDonald b. NB ca. 1811. In Hallowell Twp. is Daniel McDonald b. NB ca. 1790 and also Alexander McDonald b. NB 1795, with a wife, Hannah, b. NB ca. 1800. Somewhere there should be and Andrew and Nancy (Pettingill) Mcdonald m. 1843, in Hillier Two. in 1859.
Daniel (especially amongst Scots) is sometimes a 'euphemism' for David. (On the other hand, Daniel McDonald may be the same who m. 17JAN1828 Mary Ann Day.)
Often a 'mass' baptism was preparatory to removal elsewhere, especially Upper Canada.
These baptisms were the same day that Roger and Elizabeth Barton had their children baptized, including Sarah. The Barton's are also from Grand Lake. Obviously, the Barton's and the family of David and Hannah McDonald travelled together to Gagetown or lived near each other when the Rev. Richard Clarke visited them.

What we have so far is the family of David and Hannah McDonald obviously familiar with the family of Roger and Elizabeth Barton; presumably neighbours. There is also John McDonald, associated with David McDonald, presumably a brother or father. Presumably Loyalists, but a difficulty with the Loyalist McDonald's (as indeed with any) is the multitude of them. For example, John and David appear to have been relatively young, married after arrival in 1783, therefore possibly members of one of the regular, Scottish regiments. David and Hannah McDonald petition for land with several members of the Sypher (Cypher) family in Queens Co., NB in 1821; suggesting Hannah was a member of the Sypher family. When David and John McDonald received their grants on Grand Lake in 1786, they each received 200 acres; about what would be given to a young, married couple with a few children.
Another suspicious grant is that to David McDonald, Jr. 16FEB1810 in Sunbury Co., NB. He received 100 acres (presumably unmarried.) What makes it suspicious is the other grantees, William and Andrew Barton, Arthur Branscombe, Sr. and Nathaniel Branscombe, Henry McDonald and David Sypher, amongst others. Clearly from Queens Co., clearly associated with the McDonald's in that county. Might not this David be the same you seek just prior (or just after) his marriage? Might not Henry McDonald (200 acres) be the same in Hillier Twp. in 1851? Does this not, at least vaguely, suggest that their father was David McDonald? Is there a David McDonald of Waterborough Parish associated with the Barton's who might be such a father? The answer to these questions, if hesitantly, is, "Yes."

Another family from New Brunswick, in Hillier Twp. in 1851, is that of Henry Babbit (b. ca. 1797), likely from Gagetown. Most likely he is Henry Babbit, s/o Daniel and Rhoda Babbit and twin brother of Elkanah Babbit, bpt. Gagetown 18AUG1799.
There were also Seth (ca. 1802) and 'Roda' (ca. 1812) 'Thorn', Phebe A. Thorn (ca. 1832), Samuel M. Thorn (ca. 1816) and 'Margret' Thorn (ca. 1831) from NB. Seth and Samuel Michael Thorn were sons of Samuel and Pheby (Chase) Thorn, When Seth was bpt. 16MAR1809, he was from 'Waterboro' Parish. When Samuel and Phoebe Chase were married (19FEB1794) they were from Waterborough Parish.
'Isua B. Gerrow' (Isaac B. Gerow) b. ca. 1801, s/o Isaac and Sarah (Lawson) Gerow or of Benjamin and Margaret (Russell) Gerow (telling Isaac Gerow's apart can be a full-time job) was from Queens Co. John Blzard b. ca. 1816 is likely John Gaunce Blizard, s/o Thomas and Amia Blizard, b. Queens Co., NB 22SEP1816.
There are numerous Branscombe's in Hallowell Twp. Notably the widow, Lydia Branscombe (b. NB ca. 1788) and John Branscombe (b. NB ca. 1805.) John is likely John Branscombe bpt. 8MAR1806, s/o Nathaniel and Sarah Branscombe of Grand Lake. Lydia is likely the wife of Henry Branscombe of Hampstead Parish, Queens Co., NB; Lydia Miller b. ca. 1788. Nathaniel m. Lydia's sister, Sarah Miller. As noted above, the Branscombe were associated with Waterborough Parish. Also with the Barton's and with David McDonald in that suspicious grant of 1810. The Arthur Branscombe, Sr. in 1810 may be the father of Nathaniel and Henry Branscombe; but I would not doubt that he could be the younger Arthur, who also married a Miller.

While all of this is suggestive, it does not answer your question. Perhaps it may give you some leads, perhaps lead you on a wild-goose chase. I feel, in the circumstances, that David McDonald was the s/o either David or John McDonald of Waterborough Parish, Queens Co., NB; with perhaps odds on David.

I would suggest consulting microfilms at the PANB (likely available by interlibrary loan):

Cambridge and Waterborough: Parish Registers, 1823-1916 F-1091
1812 to 1888 Marriage Registers F-1325
1812 to 1831 Marriage Certificates F-11853

If you haven't seen the, the marriages at:
http://my.tbaytel.net/bmartin/mcmullen.htm
may be of interest. I note a William Barton as a witness to one marriage. Since it is that of George Gerow, I suspect a New Brunswick connection. There is also:
http://my.tbaytel.net/bmartin/princeed.htm

Thomas

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 9:41AM GMT
Thank you Thomas;
My investigations have indicated, like yours, that the most likely parents of David Macdonald (1784->1870 +/-) are David and Hanna Macdonald. The dates seem to be approximately correct. Also I have Henry as the second son of David and Hanna and his birth of 1787 works. A son of David and Sarah Barton, Andrew, married Nancy Pettingell (1826->1907) in 1841 so there is a Pettingell connection.
The record of names of baptisms at St. Johns in Gage Town that you provided lists my record of brothers and sisters of David with the exception of Hanna??. I also have George, James, Nancy and Susan (last in the birth order).
Thank you once again
Harry

Posted: 3 Feb 2011 2:36AM GMT
I am very interested in your research with this family. David and Sarah would be my 4th great grandparents. I have reached pretty much the same conclusions as Thomas with his research. What line of Davids are you?

Posted: 3 Feb 2011 9:30AM GMT
My relationship to David and Sarah (GGG) is through John Davidson Macdonald/Sarah Jones (GG), John Nelson Macdonald/Elizabeth Vallentyne who were my grand parents.

I have done much research and can not find the parents of David Macdonald. The next step for me will be to try Scotland People because I think they may have been from the Glenco area.

Posted: 3 Feb 2011 1:59PM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2011 2:00PM GMT
Well, that is my line as well. John Nelson and Emma Hubbs are my great grandparents. Perhaps we should be putting our heads together on this one. My husband has a subscription to Scotlands People so I would be more than happy to help out and I am regularly at the FHC. I haven't worked on this line as much as my paternal line; however, I am focusing on it now for a course that I am doing.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.