Search for content in message boards

Winchesters at Ardclach, Nairn

Winchesters at Ardclach, Nairn

Posted: 24 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Aug 2001 7:38PM GMT
Surnames: Wichester, Miller, McGregor, Donohue or, Donnachie
James Winchester poss b:1807 Auldearn & Johanna Miller poss b: 1809 Auldearn m: 1837 Auldearn. Issue all born Ardclach, Nairn where James was a farm servant - Alexander 1838, Catherine (1) 1840, Anne 1841, Johanna 1843, Mary 1847, Catherine (2) 1850 and Jemima Margaret 1853.

Anne Winchester m: (1) James McGregor. Issue - Alexander 1867. Last heard of in Newtonmore in 1930's

Anne Winchester m: (2) Ewen Donnachie/Donohue 1870 Inverness. Issue all born Inverness - Thomas 1871, Ewen 1873-74, Mary Ann 1875/6, Julia 18??

Anne Winchester m: (3) Francis Hobon 1877 Inverness. Issue all born Inverness - Francis (m: Christine McDonald,issue-Francis, Ian, Alexander, Robert, Herbert, Joseph, Jessie, Catherine, Christine).
Josephine (m; Stevenson (1) then Thomson (2) emigrated Punto Arenas, Chile, issue 3 sons).
Catherine poss (m: John Fraser, issue Francis who emigrated to Australia, no issue).

Can anyone 'relate' to this line or provide further information?

Regards
Joan Purker

Posted: 2 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2006 11:21AM GMT
Surnames: McGregor, McIntosh, McCulloch, Davidson
Iwonder if your JAMES MCGREGOR'S father was called Alexander. I have an Alexander McGregor who m Ann McIntosh and their son my grandfather William was at ARDCLACH IN 1891 census and not with his family,
Posted: 5 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Aug 2001 7:38PM GMT
Hi Ina, thanks for your response.
The problem I have with James McGregor is that although he is given as the father of Alexander MCGREGOR in the LDS I have not found a marriage certificate for James and Ann Winchester as yet.

I have also been checking Scots Origins for a death for James Winchester assuming Ann Winchester was widowed but again have not found the definite one.

I have found since I first posted that Ann HOBAN/DONOHUE nee Winchester died in 1910. I have a photograph of her with Alexander MCGREGOR, her son by James MCGREGOR, which of course I now know had to be taken before 1910. Alexander was not with his Mother at her Inverness address in the 1891 Census when he would have been aged approx 24 years. I will not be able to check any earlier Census until I am back in Scotland this summer.

My earlier estimate of Alexander MCGREGOR "last known of in Newtonmore in the 1930's" must also be reduced to c1910.
I have not looked into Alexander having siblings in any great depth as his mother remarried 3 years after his birth nor have I been able to work on James MCGREGOR fully.

Hope this helps - have we got something we can work on?

Regards
Joan

Re: McGregor

Andrew Honeyfield (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2002 8:18AM GMT
Surnames: McGregor Leslie
Hi - I am researching my GX3 grandfather James McGregor of "Ovie" and "Auchmore" farms, at Laggan (near Newtonmore in Invernes-shire). He was born in 1779 and died at Laggan in 1862. He married Ann (or Agnes) Leslie and they had at least three children, including Isabella, James and Barabara. Isabella McGregor married her distant cousin Alexander McGregor and emigrated to New Zealand in 1851. Her brother James also emigrated to New Zealand. The Elder James (b1779) had about eight siblings including Malcolm, Patrick, Bessie, Isabell, Margaret, Alexander, Ann and Beatrice (and possibly also Andrew). Are any of these people connected to you? If so, we have quite a bit of information about them, and would we would also like to find out more. Cheers, Andrew Honeyfield
Te Aroha New Zealand.

Re: McGregor

Joan Purker (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2002 7:45AM GMT
Hello Andrew

I am sorry to say we don't seem to have a match here unless your James MACGREGOR, son of Gx3 Grandfather emigrated just prior to 1867 or later but we are in the right area. Since I posted my first message I have obtained my Alexander MacGregor's death certificate, he was b. 1867-d. 1939. His death certificate gives the father as James MACGREGOR, shepherd. Too late for your James MACGREGOR 1779-1862 but his son James could be possible, if he was in the area prior to 1867.

My problem is I can't find Alexander MACGREGOR junior between his birth and his marriage.
I think he may have been in Glasgow as several appear on the 1891 Census, but I have not yet indulged in viewing the images on-line. He definitely returned to the area to marry a Jessie Tolmie 1895 in Newtonmore; moving back to Glasgow where they had their first child Helen and then back up North where two further children, Isabella and Jessie, were born in Kingussie. According to the 1901 Census he was working on his own account as a Carpenter from his home "Rowanlea" in Newtonmore, where he also died in 1939. There is no marriage to be found for Alexander's parents, Ann WINCHESTER & James MACGREGOR and I am still not sure if this James MACGREGOR, given as father of Alexander, died or just did not marry the mother. Alexander was born in Inverness and his mother subsequently married there, twice. I think I really need to check the 1871 Census for them.

I will be looking for his marriage certificate when I am next back in Scotland so do lets keep in touch in case I turn up anything else. I have been unable to find him in the burial registers for the area, at least the ones under the care of the Highland Council but I hope to check out Laggan Church on the next visit, probably in early summer this year.

Thank you for replying to my post. If you need to contact me off-List then I am on purkers3@emirates.net.ae for most of the year.

Regards
Joan

Re: McGregors at Laggan

Andrew Honeyfield (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2002 7:34PM GMT
Hi, great to hear from someone else researching the Newtonmore-Kingussie McGregors. I think it is quite probable that yours are related to mine, as Dr Richard McGregor of the Clan Gregor Society thinks that those ones are "all related and originate from the Rannoch area of Perthshire". However I am not sure what the connection is. My GX3 grandfather James McGregor (b1779-d1862) had a son also named James (b1822-d1904NZ) who married Helen Leslie. Could he be the father or uncle of your James who died in 1939? The Glasgow connection does not ring any bells, as I am not aware of any of my line having come from, or lived at Glasgow. They were all farmers at "Auchmore" and "Ovie" (Uvie) farms near Laggan and they were very well settled there. If you wish I can give you the addresses (one e-mail and one snail mail) of two other people who have thoroughly researched the descendants of our line and they could possibly help you more than I can. Cheers Andrew

Re: McGregors at Laggan

Posted: 30 Jul 2009 12:56PM GMT
Hello, Andrew.

This may not be a link at all but possibly it could be. My 4x great grandfather was Jonathan Andrews born circa 1740 in Rannoch Moor, Glencoe. From the information I have found he had possibly changed his name from Andrew McGregor, the ceremony performed by Richard Webb and witnessed by William Dove and James Goodfellow.

Jonathan/Andrew married Jane Rook from Downton, Wilts and had a least one child.

Are you aware of any such name change or know anyone with further information?

Kind regards,
Andy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.