Search for content in message boards

Native American Nunnally, Nunnelly, et al

Native American Nunnally, Nunnelly, et al

Posted: 15 Mar 2001 4:37PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jan 2004 5:10AM GMT
I am looking for Nunnally, Nunnelly or other variations who have Native American ancestry. Can you give some info on the origin of native ancestry in that line?

Nunnelly, Nunnally, et al

Posted: 22 Apr 2001 3:55PM GMT
Edited: 30 Oct 2001 2:59AM GMT
The origins of the name are Nunley. Research has revealed that there was a Nunley in County Shropshire, England in 1616. The first Nunley to come to Virginia was Richard, who came in 1630, where the Nunley family remained until after the American Revolution, when they appeared in North Carolina and Virginia in the Yadkin Valley area.

Because there were so many in Warren County, TN in the early 1800's, it is difficult to separate them. Thomas, Archibald, and John, born in 1770 sold their land in Rutherford County, North Carolina in 1809 and came to Warren County. William and Jeremiah, both born in 1774 came soon after. It is believed that all were brothers. All descendants agree that their ancestor was born on the Yadkin River in North Carolina of a half Cherokee mother who had married a Nunley.

Some of the Nunley men (most likely Thomas, Archibald and John) were said to have come with Henry J. A. Hill, who made the first settlement on Hill's Creek. They returned to North Carolina and brought back their families (including William and Jeremiah).

An interesting story told by descendants is that they came with Cherokee friends and relatives, who helped them make the long trip across the mountains. The Nunleys settled on what is now called Nunley Mountain, and their Indian friends settled nearby. They also say there was an Indian reservation almost next door to this mountain. An Indian cemetery is located at Nunley Mountain, a ridge of the Cumberland Plateau in what is now Grundy County, TN.
You can get more information on the original Nunley ancestors of us all at my website, http://hometown.aol.com/zwoodchuck. Enter the site, click on family, then on the picture of Cynthia Tampico Nunley for several pages of Nunleys. This is a temporary site until I can complete the NunleyFamily.com website where I will post everything I can find on the Nunleys.

Nunleys from Grundy to Texas

stan nunley (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2001 12:06PM GMT
John Nunley--son of William and Sarah Jane Smartt-- was a sharp shooter for the Union and after having his leg amputated was sent home where he had to hide out in a cave because most neighbors were confederate. From the cave he shot and killed one confed officer who was harassing his wife in the yard. Later he and his wife Mary Jane Smith left Tennessee for Texas. They stopped for awhile 1880's in Searcy Co., Ark, where John died and was buried in the Boston Mts. and where two of the sons married. They came on to Texas and are there in the 1910 & 1900 census: the matriarch is buried in the Moro Cemetery outside Blanket, in Brown Texas. My father was born in Blanket in 1909--the 12th child of Joseph. They went to the oilfields in OK; some returning to Texas. I was born in an oilfield camp in 1949 in Monahans, Tex. The baseball field there is named Perry L. Nunley Field after my father. I can mail you family group sheets, a couple of photos, death, marriage, birth, social security stuff if you want them. I am anxious to get into your website. Thanks.

Nunley Grundy to Texas

Chuck Smith (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2001 7:13PM GMT
please contact me at orangecr8kanu@aol.com
Chuck Smith

contact me

stanley nunley (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2001 11:44AM GMT
I attempted the address but was told "NO results"???? I'm at nunley@eac.cc.az.us.

Nunley Family

Chuck Smith (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2001 3:42PM GMT
I will send you an e-mail. Sorry the website didn't open for you. Try it again. I may have been working on it at the time you tried. http://hometown.aol.com/zwoodchuck

Re: Nunleys from Grundy to Texas

Sherry Wagner (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2001 2:26PM GMT
Hello Stan,
My name is Sherry Anne Osiek Wagner, my great grandfather
was Albert Monroe Nunley, born the 4 Aug 1893 in Marshall Searcy, Arkansa, if you have any pictures, death certificates, or any thing on him and Sammy Pearl Alexander, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sherry Wagner

Re: Native American Nunnally, Nunnelly, et al

Posted: 18 Jan 2003 2:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jun 2004 9:20AM GMT
Surnames: NUNNELEE, NUNLEY, DeNUNNELEE, DeNUNNELLEE, NUNNALLY

Re: Nunnelly, Nunnally, et al

Posted: 22 Mar 2003 1:18AM GMT
Edited: 22 Mar 2003 2:35AM GMT
Surnames: Nunley
Greetings From Oklahoma :
Chuck
Do you happen to know the name of the cherokee woman that married the Nunley. I have Eastern Cherokee Rolls.
Thanks
Judy

Re: Nunley Cherokee Wives

Chuck (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2003 5:58PM GMT
Sorry, Judy:

At the moment the only information available is from the Beersheba Springs (TN) Historical Society that states the five Nunley brothers each had Cherokee wives when they moved to Nunley Mountain in Grundy County. Whether they were full blood line or mixed blood line women is not known. The names we have are: Thomas Nunley, wife unknown; Jeremiah Nunley, Jane Davis; State Senator William Nunley, Jean Miller; Archibald (Archie) Nunley, wife unknown; and John Nunley, wife unknown. That's the best I can do at this time and would love to research this further. E-mail me at woodchuxmail@aol.com and I will send you the Nunley genealogy as much as we have. It is substantial.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.