Search for content in message boards

Cain Mahoney

Cain Mahoney

Posted: 7 Apr 2000 4:05PM GMT
Edited: 30 Apr 2002 12:46AM GMT
Seeking any existing relatives and their descendants, or those with knowledge of Cain (or Kean) Mahoney, born vicinity of Carrigaline (Cork) early 1800's and died in Malden, Mass in 1898. He married Mary Sullivan in Ireland. There were probably other children but one daughter is known - my great grandmother Mary Ann (Mahoney) Gregg who passed away in Cambridge, Mass on 1937. Family emigrated about 1849, are thought to have settled initially in Holliston, Mass. and may have also lived in Waltham, Mass before settling permanently in Malden.

MAHONY -"Cain"

Ellen L. McFaul (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2000 2:29PM GMT
E. Looked for a Cain Mahony for 2yrs....search began w/ postings in Boston
Pilot...one Cain Mahony temp. in Holliston
Mass...after 1850)looking for his bro. Timothy already in US.We believe this Cain
found his bro. in Lewisburg, W.VA...and was
from a family we found on RC Parish Register
in Drinagh Parish, Co. Cork. Our Cain was
born in 1821 in townland "Minanes" as were
his older bro. Timothy(1818),sister Catherine
(1823) Daniel (1826) Parents were entered
as Daniel and Ellen (Connor) Mahony. We have
military rec.showing death of Cain Mahony
in Civil War (Confed.)in July 1861 at Carrick's Ford in (W.)Va. Bro. Timothy is my
gg-grndfthr ...he married a Hannah Flesher
in 1846 in (W.)VA and migrated with family
of 9 to Indiana. Cain was a popular name w/
Mahon(e)y in Ire. Have encountered a
few in my search...can you tell me more?
Any of this ring any bells? Our Cain left
a wife and children at death...we have names
birthdates....unfound as yet. No MaryAnns.
Timothy and some family came to CAN 1837...
naturalized in Philadelphia and then joined
family in Greenbrier Co. (W.)VA in the mid
to late 1840s.Believe this Cain came to US
1850 on. Write if interested. Thanks.

Cain Mahoney

Posted: 25 Jun 2000 5:24PM GMT
Edited: 30 Apr 2002 12:46AM GMT
Thanks for your message # 185 of 23 June. There may be a connection but the Cain Mahoney I'm looking for died in 1898 at the age of 86yrs, 4 mos according to death certificate. He and his family lived in Carrigaline prior to emigrating, at least that's what his daughter's widows application for her husband's Civil War pension says. There are similar names involved and the Holliston connection could be involved. I plan to be in Holliston in August to pursue Mahoney town records, if any and what I find may clarify the connection. Please send me your e-mail address for further information. Thanks emelan@aol.com

Re: MAHONY -"Cain"

Posted: 20 Oct 2001 9:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
dear ellen i am descended from kain mahony born1800's in cork/kerry ireland ican trace many cain and abel's in his descendents some who emigrated to white plains ny

Re: Cain Mahoney

Posted: 27 Mar 2008 8:15PM GMT
There is a book by Frank Thompson that I looked at through LDS which has the Parish of Carrigaline and Crosshaven, lots of Mahoneys. I will look at what I have a write back

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 7:28PM GMT
Surnames: cain mahoney, daniel mahoney
Looking for info on a Daniel "CAIN/KANE" Mahoney from Cork to Boston abt 1846. Daniel was born about 1824/25, listed as a tailor in Mass. records.. his father's name was Daniel also. Your post back in March of this year indicated that you had a "lot of info on cain and abels". Any hits here?

Jim Daly

Posted: 30 Aug 2008 7:51PM GMT
For Jim Daly: There may be a connection here although somewhat misty.

My gggrandfather was Cain Mahoney born c. July 30 1812 in Couty Cork, possibly Carrigaline where he was married on Oct 28, 1835. He and his wife, Margaret Sullivan had several children namely Mary Ann (my ggrandmother) born in Carrigaline Mar 25, 1841, Daniel born presumably there on April 6 1848. There were others with birth places unknown:
Anne born Aug 28 1836 - place unknown, Ellen born July 3,1838, Michael born Oct 11, 1842, Julia born c. April 29, 1846, Margaret born c. July 13 1844.

If there is a connection it could be that the original Cain (my gggrandfather as above) had a brother named Daniel who could have been born in the time frame you mentioned. Again I'm speculating but that could account for Cain naming his first born son Daniel after both his father named Daniel and his brother which seemed to have been traditional in Irish families of that vintage. Unfortunately I have no info on all the other children of Cain and Margaret Mahoney although I assume that their descendants probably began their adult lives in and around the Boston area, perhaps close to where their parents lived and possibly Waltham where Cain and Margaret are buried in Old Calvary Cemetery.

As an additional matter of interest, during a trip to Boston I was exploring St. Mary's Cemetery aka "Old Dorchester' in Dorchester, Ma a few months ago where more of my ancestors are buried and was startled to encounter an old gravestone very near the front entrance that could be read through the fence. It said:

Cain Mahoney
COL 4 Mas Cav
Died May 2 1880
Age 60 yrs

In later research I could not find any Colonel by that name who served with the 4th Massachusetts Cavalry in the Civil War although I did not have a chance to research all the sources. Obviously there was a Colonel Cain Mahoney. But where he fits in I just don't know. It is one of those things for which I have yet to find a definitive answer. It's complicated because the name Cain was a common one among Mahoneys. If I can have your email I can send you a photo of the gravestone. emelan@aol.com

Posted: 17 Sep 2008 10:24PM GMT
Surnames: Mahony and Mahoney
I have some of a family tree for Cain O'Mahony (1828-1912), born near Skibbereen in southwest County Cork, Ireland. He married a Margaret Connolly (1837-1889), one of five daughters. They had 9 children in the Skibbereen area: Cain, Ellen, Maria, Eliza, Annie, Dennis, John, Tim and Dan.

Barbara in St. Louis, Missouri

Posted: 18 Sep 2008 1:14PM GMT
Barbara:
I saw your posting on the Mahoney's etc., and I thought I'd let you know what I discovered. My great, grandfather, Daniel Mahoney, settled initially in Schaghticoke, Washington County, NY and then moved to Brasher Falls, St. Lawrence County, NY. His son James Mahoney is my grandfather. James' daughter, Mary is my mother.

DANIEL MAHONEY was born 1824 in Ireland, and died October 01, 1891 in Brasher Falls, NY. He married CATHARINE SULLIVAN Unknown in ?. She was born 1827 in Ireland, and died 1898 in Brasher Falls, NY.

Both DANIEL and CATHARINE are buried in St. Patrick's Cemetery, Brasher Falls, NY

Children of DANIEL MAHONEY and CATHARINE SULLIVAN are:

i. JAMES MAHONEY, b. February 23, 1856, Washington Co., NY; d. September 04, 1931, Brasher Falls, NY.
ii. JOHN MAHONEY, b. March 01, 1858, Schaghticoke, NY; d. October 16, 1944, Potsdam, NY.
iii. DANIEL MAHONEY, b. 1861, Washington Co., NY; d. Unknown, ?.
iv. JERAMIAH MAHONEY, b. 1863, ?; d. 1893, ?.

I don't know if there is any connection between my Mahoney's and yours or not, but I just wanted to let you know.

Neil McKenna

Posted: 19 Sep 2008 8:58PM GMT
Surnames: Mahony and Mahoney
Neil - I have almost the opposite info. I have a long-ago family tree for a couple of generations of a Cain Mahoney that lived in and around Skibbereen in southwest County Cork. I also have a family from Haverhill, MA - Dennis James Mahoney and his wife, Catherine O'Brien Mahoney - came to the US in 1890s from southwest Co. Cork.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.