Search for content in message boards

Hartley, Moved from Va to Ohio and Indiana mid 1800's

Hartley, Moved from Va to Ohio and Indiana mid 1800's

Hope Engelmann (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2006 6:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hartley
I am looking for some family. I have Jacob Hartley b 1828 and he has a brother Nelson Hartley not sure on his birth year. They moved to Whitley County, Indiana and the story goes there are more sibling, I believe its 7 Boys and 4 girls. His father was called Pop and he was killed by the Indians in some war while on duty. Does anyone seem to know anything about this?

Re: Hartley, Moved from Va to Ohio and Indiana mid 1800's

Posted: 14 Oct 2008 2:29AM GMT
Surnames: Pops Hartley
Hope,
I do not know if you are still working on this, but I am also working on this particular line. My grandmother is a Hartley through birth. I have gotten back to this point and am reasearching some different possibilities (Joseph Hartley and Martha Patsy Cottrel). Please feel free to email me and we can talk.
Jennifer Novia

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 12:09AM GMT
Hello -

My name is Tim Trochelman. I am descended from Arthur John Hartley.

Arthur was born in what was Hampshire County, Virginia. It became Morgan Co., Virginia and finally became Morgan Co., West Virginia. He was born in 1833 and came to Miami County, Ohio in October 1849 with Louisa Hartley Athy and her husband, living with them on a farm.

There were a lot of Hartleys who suddenly appear in Ohio in the 1850 census. Besides Louisa, they were; Thomas, John F., Phillip, James T., and Thornton. We are in possession of a hand-written paper which also tells of a Nelson Hartley in Miami County, OH but I can't locate any official documents on him.

I wonder if your Nelson is related to the rest of the Hartleys in Miami County. Do you have any information on Jacob or Nelson coming from any of the Virginia/West Virginia counties that I mentioned above?

By the way, I am using my mother's Ancestry account. Please contact me at my personal e-mail address:

tim.trochelman@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for any information that you might have.

Regards,
Tim

Posted: 28 Apr 2011 2:46PM GMT
hello all--

I am also researching this line, as I am descended from Jacob Hartley, born Feb 18, 1828 died Feb 6, 1883. In our family we have a "Hartley booklet" which was published in 1957. This contains information from many Hartleys living in Indiana at the time.

According to our booklet, Jacob's father was known as "Pop". He and his family emigrated from Virginia to Ohio, about 100 miles from Cincinnati, about 1857. The family consisted of 7 boys and 4 girls. Two of the boys were Jacob and Nels. "Pop" was killed by the Indians one night while doing guard duty. After this the family divided up and Jacob, Nels, with two of the girls and their mother went to Whitley county, Indiana. The others went on west and no available record of them exists.

I have no real 'documentation' on any of this, other than the family booklet which I believe was put together with basic memories of people then living. I would love to have further information!

Posted: 28 Apr 2011 2:48PM GMT
have you been able to find any further information on "Pop" Hartley??

Posted: 28 Apr 2011 2:53PM GMT
I was just checking my posts and saw that you are descended from Jacob Hartley, but what got my interest is the booklet that you were talking about. Just curious who you are and what relation you are to me? I probably have that same book - my grandmother is a Hartley living in Indiana. Here is my personal email... send me your info. jennifer.novia@gmail.com

Posted: 28 Apr 2011 3:13PM GMT
have you been able to find any further information on "Pop" Hartley??
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.