Search for content in message boards

Sutherland, 42nd Royal Highland Regiment

Sutherland, 42nd Royal Highland Regiment

Bob Sutherland (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Apr 2005 4:02PM GMT
Surnames: Sutherland
About 100 members of the Royal Highland Regiment (42nd) took their discharge and accepted land grants on the Nashwaak River in YORK County North East of Fredericton in 1783. Are these some of the people you want to get info on? I'm a descendent of one of the 7 Sutherlands who took land here. Have a list of Grantees and have dug into books attempting to track the Highlanders. Let me know what you need by Email and Ill try to help.
There's a rumor that our side came second in the war but I assume that it's only propaganda.

Re: Sutherland, 42nd Royal Highland Regiment

Posted: 24 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2005 4:03PM GMT
Surnames: Sutherland, Saunders, Jackson, Whitehead, Hartley, Moore
Researching the above families in New Brunswick. Seeking any information on John Sutherland. One of his daughters (name unknown) married a John(?)Saunders. Their daughter Elizabeth Saunders, b.ca1785 m. Turney Whitehead, b. 25 Jan 1785 (his mother was a Jackson.) Their dau. Rebecca Barker Whitehead, b. 23 Dec 1828 m. Edward Bennett Williams Hartley, b. 19 Mar 1820 (son of James Hartley & Susannah Moore.) Most of these families were of York Co., some in Queeens Co. Any information would be most appreciated.

Posted: 2 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2005 4:04PM GMT
Surnames: McGraw, McKinnon, Edwards
Do you have any information on Ray's or Rae's that settled on the Nashwaak after the Revolution? I am a descendant of Mary Edwards who, according to A.W. MacDougall in his book "Black River and it's First Settlers" came to America with people named Ray and they located on the Nashwaak. Mary first married Rev. James Fraser, and then Neil McGraw. Neil
served with the 42nd Highlanders during the REvolution and later settled in Black River Glenelg Parish on the Miramichi. Neil and Mary are my gggggrandparents. A.W. McDougall gives an account of Mary's life as related by her daughter. This is the source for the reference about the Ray's.
Also descended from Gregor McKinnon who also had land on the Nashwaak and then went to the Miramichi. Do you have any information about him? I am particularly wondering about his wife/wives.

Posted: 6 Mar 2002 11:00AM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2005 4:05PM GMT
don't know whether you can help me or not, I am looking for information on Charles A. Sutherland, who married Jennie Pollock. They had two daughters that I know of Helen Cristiann Sutherland(1898 in Fredericton, NB) I don not know the second daughters name, just that she married a Wallace.
I have heard people refer to Charles A. Sutherland as a sea captain, but how much truth there is to it I do not know

Posted: 19 Sep 2002 2:25AM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2005 4:05PM GMT
Dear Bob,

I am collecting names of British & Highland soldiers of
those that desertered,discharged and took land grants where
ever the regiment was posted.
Can you help.
I am trying to get hold of 100-800 soldiers that took land
grants on discharge and am finding it most difficult in
getting the list from Shelburne Genealogical Society in
Nova Scotia Canada.

John Podesta John.
4 Dunbar Crt.
Lalor 3075
Melbourne
Australia

Posted: 27 Jan 2003 3:24PM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2005 4:06PM GMT
Yes I'm looking for info on a John McLeod-b=? in Scotland?-m=1806 to Susannah Hovey-b=1793 in Gagetown,NB - Susannah remarried to Abel Pond in 1823 just 2 years after John Passed away. - Susannah Hovey McLeod petitioned for land stating that she is the widow of John McLeod..
I have him down as Lot #64.
I await your reply.
Hold Fast
Grinnell MacLeod Wood II

Posted: 28 Oct 2004 2:34AM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2005 4:06PM GMT
Surnames: Bain, Todd
Hi, Alexander Bain is my 5th great grandfather of the 42nd Highland regiment, trying to trace down more info on him, birth, possibly marriage to Esther Todd, sister of Mix Todd in York County, any help with this is appreciated thank you
Rick J. Bain

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2005 6:36AM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2005 4:04PM GMT
Surnames: McKinnon
I am a descendent of Gregor Mckinnon

Posted: 26 Apr 2005 3:56PM GMT
Edited: 3 May 2006 10:25AM GMT
What other children did James Hartley and Susannah Moore have. I have a Job W. Hartley born NB 1822 and sister Nancy A. Hartley b. 1832. Any connection you know of. I have an unspecified connection to Rev Ed. W Hartley. Also please see ancestry.com family tree for Roland Hill hartley son of Rev. and Rebecca whitehead (If you don't already know) thanks jean

Posted: 24 May 2005 3:03PM GMT
Have you come across an Amos Hartley in your search. I am looking for Amos Hartley b:1820-1821 suposedly in Nova Scotia. Have been unable to find him in Canada at all.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.