Search for content in message boards

john edmund murray

Replies: 32

Re: john edmund murray

Posted: 27 Jul 2009 8:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Sorry Lizzie for not responding sooner. I hadn't realised you had responded to my message. Here is what I've discovered to date.

Charles James Boehm Murray

Charles James Boehm Murray married Alice Hepburn, eldest daughter of John Stuart Hepburn. Their only daughter was Eliza Marion Murray who married William Arthur Murton. They had seven children - Leslie Murray Murton, Hubert Murray Murton, Eileen Marion Murray Murton, Evelyn Murray Murton (my grandfather), Ivo Murray Murton , Dudley Arthur Murray Murton and Muriel Alice Murray Murton. Leslie, Dudley and Muriel were born in Australia and the rest were born in Kent near Rochester. Hubert was killed in 1916 fighting for the British Army - 1st King Edward's horses.

Charles James Boehm Murray had the nickname "Barie" due to allegedly being an heir to Scots baronetcy - according to the book "Here My Home".

I've sighted Charles' baptism on 16 July 1829 from Avondale (Scotland) parish records. He was the son of John Edmund Murray and Margaret Maxwell Hamilton. They were married in April 1927 and I've sighted their marriage in the Hamilton (Scotland) parish register. I understand that Charles may have had an older brother Edmund John Murray and younger brothers Augustus Birney Murray and Robert Hamilton Murray. I think Margaret Maxwell Hamilton died young and John Edmund Murray married again.

John Edmund Murray

Previous researchers have had John Edmund Murray's birthdate as 1801 in Inverness, Scotland but baptised in Chertsey Surrey, his father as the Honourable John Murray (born 1865 died 1805) and mother unknown.

What I have come across, which is the contentious bit, is as follows:
I have sighted the will of Dorothy Elizabeth Boehm dated 1841, wife of Edmund Boehm, previously residing at Hampton Palace, leaving most of he estate to "John Murray Esquire, son of the Honourable John Murray .... commonly called Edmund Murray but who was baptised at Anningsley in the parish of Chertsey in the County of Surrey by the Reverend Richard Littlehales ......"
I have sighted the baptism record, which curiously makes no mention of mother or father, that states that John Murray was baptised 3 September 1801 - born 9 February 1801 and baptised by (Rev) Richard Littlehales, rector of Lopham, Norfolk at Anningsley in this parish, in the presence of Edmund Boehm, esq. of Ottershaw Park, of William Souch, parish clerk, and of William Mumford of Anningsley in this parish.
I have sighted the will of the Honourable John Murray dated 1803, which states that he bequeathed his estate to his brother George Lord Fincastle and friend Edmund Boehm to hold on behalf of his natural or reputed son John Murray. The will goes on to say that John Murray resided with Edmund Boehm and that both George Lord Fincastle and Edmund Boehm were to be the son's guardian.

Honourable John Murray

The Honourable John Murray is the son of the 4th Earl of Dunmore. A footnote to his will dated 14 Dec 1824 (extremely difficult to read) refers to him as a Captain of HMS Franchise in the West Indies deceased and John Murray being the legatee when he turns 21 (which he would have been by 1824) and it also makes reference to a Lady Virginia as a universal legatee but I can't read the rest. Looking through naval records, I've found out that the Hon John Murray sat his exam for the navy in1787, became a lieutenant on 3 November 1790, master and commander 24 September 1793, post-captain 25 November 1794 and he died on 1 July 1805. In a peerage book (refer below) it says he died during the blockade of Curacao (Dutch West Indies) in 1805 - the same year as the Battle of Trafalgar.

Given that Inverness is a port city, it makes sense that a captain's son would be born there. What doesn't make sense is why neither the Honourable John Murray nor the mother of John Edmund Murray are mentioned at the baptism and why the baptism was 6 months later down in Surrey. Either the mother had died during or just after childbirth or John Edmund Murray was born out of wedlock. The reference to "John Murray" in the Hon. John Murray's will as the "natural or reputed son" seems to favour the latter theory. However, many illegitimate births in those days were explicitly referred to as such and it is inconsistent with the lengthy description of the baptism, who was present at the baptis, the fact that a guardian was appointed by the Hon. John Murray and that the Hon. John Murray left his estate to John Edmund Murray with the executors being prominent members of the community.

What would help on this is to establish what records exist about John Edmund Murray's birth in Inverness. Do you have anything?

Regards

John
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lizziegibb 1 Sep 2006 11:24AM GMT 
johnmurton 12 May 2009 11:09AM GMT 
lizziegibb 13 May 2009 9:08AM GMT 
johnmurton 28 Jul 2009 2:40AM GMT 
lizziegibb 30 Jul 2009 3:06AM GMT 
johnmurton 11 Aug 2009 5:32AM GMT 
lizziegibb 11 Aug 2009 11:59AM GMT 
johnmurton 11 Aug 2009 12:50PM GMT 
johnmurton 12 Aug 2009 1:54AM GMT 
LynSchwartz92 28 Apr 2010 1:56AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.