Search for content in message boards

Origins of Native American Montours

Replies: 21

Origins of Native American Montours

John Carlisle (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2000 4:01AM GMT
Montour family (Madame, son Andrew (aka Henry, and grandson John) provided many services for the British in the French and Indian War Era and the colonists in the Revolutionary War. They are mentioned frequently in the history of PA. I have gathered considerable data on Andrew but do not yet have it in electronic format. Would appreciate any additional information and corrections that you might have on the family of Andrew

Descendants of Nicolas Couc

Generation No. 1

1. Nicolas1 Couc was born Abt. 1607 in Saintes, Saintonage, France, and died Bet. 1616 - 1648 in France. He married Elizabeth Templair. She was born Abt. 1612 in Saintes, Saintonage, France.

Child of Nicolas Couc and Elizabeth Templair is:
+ 2 i. Pierre2 Couc, born Abt. 1632 in Saintes, Saintonage, France; died May 18, 1690 in St. Francois du Lac, Gillette, PQ.

Generation No. 2

2. Pierre2 Couc (Nicolas1) was born Abt. 1632 in Saintes, Saintonage, France, and died May 18, 1690 in St. Francois du Lac, Gillette, PQ. He married Marie Miteouamigoukoue April 16, 1657 in Trois Rivieres, St. Maurice, PQ, daughter of Barthelemi Miteouamigoukoue and Carole Pachirini. She was born Abt. 1631 in Algonquin Nation, Canada, and died January 8, 1698/99 in Trois Rivieres, St. Maurice, PQ.

Notes for Marie Miteouamigoukoue:
Huron (Wyanadotte), (Iroquoian speaking) Indians living in the Algonquin Nations for protection from the Five Nations of the Iroquois

Children of Pierre Couc and Marie Miteouamigoukoue are:
+ 3 i. Louis Couc dit3 Montour, born Abt. 1659; died Abt. 1694.
4 ii. Jeanne Couc, born Abt. 1657; died Abt. 1679 in assassinated.
+ 5 iii. Marie Angelique Couc-Lafleur, born Abt. 1661 in Trois Rivieres, St. Maurice, PQ; died January 7, 1749/50 in Sorel, Richelieu, PQ, Canada.
6 iv. Marie Madeline Couc, born Abt. 1669 in Trois Rivieres, St. Maurice, PQ. She married Maurice Menard Abt. 1692 in Michillimakinac; born June 6, 1664 in Trois Rivieres, St. Maurice, PQ.
+ 7 v. Marguerite Couc, born Abt. 1664.
8 vi. Elizabeth Couc, born Abt. 1667.

Generation No. 3

3. Louis Couc dit3 Montour (Pierre2 Couc, Nicolas1) was born Abt. 1659, and died Abt. 1694. He married Madeleine Sacokie Abt. 1681.

More About Madeleine Sacokie:
Fact 6: Sakokis (Saco) indian

Children of Louis Montour and Madeleine Sacokie are:
+ 9 i. Madame4 "Chenette, Techenet" Montour, born Abt. 1684; died Abt. 1752.
10 ii. Elizabeth Montour.
11 iii. Louis Couc "Andrew" Montour, born Abt. 1666; died Abt. 1709.

Notes for Louis Couc "Andrew" Montour:
Ordered killed by Marquis de Maudreuil, Governor of Canada

5. Marie Angelique3 Couc-Lafleur (Pierre2 Couc, Nicolas1) was born Abt. 1661 in Trois Rivieres, St. Maurice, PQ, and died January 7, 1749/50 in Sorel, Richelieu, PQ, Canada. She married Francois Delphe- St. Cerny dit Montour August 30, 1692 in Sorel, PQ, Canada, son of Jean Delpe. He was born Abt. 1640 in St. Germain-de-l'Herm, Perigord, France, and died December 15, 1725 in Trois Rivieres, St. Maurice, PQ.

Children of Marie Couc-Lafleur and Francois Montour are:
+ 12 i. Maurice Delphe dit4 Montour, born June 19, 1703 in Trois Rivieres, St. Maurice, PQ; died May 13, 1749 in Pointe-du-Lac, PQ..
13 ii. Marie-Anne Delphe-St. Cerny.

7. Marguerite3 Couc (Pierre2, Nicolas1) was born Abt. 1664. She married Jean Masse Lafart.

Notes for Jean Masse Lafart:
Other sources show surname as Fafard

Children of Marguerite Couc and Jean Lafart are:
14 i. Jean Baptiste4 Lafart.
15 ii. Maguerite Cousseau Lafart.

Generation No. 4

9. Madame4 "Chenette, Techenet" Montour (Louis Couc dit3 Montour, Pierre2 Couc, Nicolas1) was born Abt. 1684, and died Abt. 1752. She married (1) Roland Montour. He died Abt. 1709. She married (2) Carondowanen "Big Tree" " Robert Hunter". He died Abt. 1729.

Children of Madame "Chenette and Roland Montour are:
+ 16 i. Andrew "Sattelihu"5 Montour, born Abt. 1705; died Abt. 1774.
17 ii. Louis (Lewis) "Tan Weson" Montour.
18 iii. Robert Montour.
+ 19 iv. French Margaret Montour.

12. Maurice Delphe dit4 Montour (Marie Angelique3 Couc-Lafleur, Pierre2 Couc, Nicolas1) was born June 19, 1703 in Trois Rivieres, St. Maurice, PQ, and died May 13, 1749 in Pointe-du-Lac, PQ.. He married Therese-Veronique Petit July 27, 1729 in Trois Rivieres, St. Maurice, PQ, daughter of Pierre Petit and Marguerite Veron.

Child of Maurice Montour and Therese-Veronique Petit is:
20 i. Charles Delphe dit5 Montuor, born Abt. 1730 in Quebec, Canada; died Bet. 1763 - 1821 in Quebec, Canada. He married Marie Louise Josephte Dery September 27, 1756 in Pointe-du-Lac, PQ..

Generation No. 5

16. Andrew "Sattelihu"5 Montour (Madame4 "Chenette, Techenet" Montour, Louis Couc dit3 Montour, Pierre2 Couc, Nicolas1) was born Abt. 1705, and died Abt. 1774. He married (1) zzz Montour, daughter of Father. He married (2) Sally Aines Abt. 1745. She was born Abt. 1728, and died 1823.

More About zzz Montour:
Fact 6: grandaughter Delaware olumpias, allumpias

Notes for Sally Aines:
Sally Ainse - Oneida
By Julia White

As closely as can be determined, Sally Ainse was born around 1728, and grew up in the region of the Susquehanna River. She was to become famous as a fur trader, land owner, and diplomat; all notable achievements for her time and place in history. She was known by a number of names, but there is no explanation in my resource for these changes in name.

At age 17, she married an Indian interpreter for the British named Andrew Montour. She was married to him for several years, and had several children with him. However, as was the custom in some areas and tribes, Montour apparently became tired of Sally. He returned her to the Oneida people where she began her career as an active trader. From the Oneida, she secured a deed to lands in the Fort Stanwix area, now known as Rome, New York. At this time, she was well known as Sally, or Sarah, Montour.

Shortly after the onset of the American Revolution, Sally abandoned her land holdings in New York and moved to the Detroit District, which was under British control. In Detroit, records show that she was referred to as Sally Hands, Hains and Willson, but she was best known as Sally Ainse. She was back in business in very short order, trading cider and other goods to nearby Natives. She prospered in her endeavors, and the 1779 Detroit census shows her assets as a house and lot in Detroit, four slaves, three cows, four horses and one hundred pounds of flour.

Because of her knowledge of both British and Native ways, Sally quickly made her mark as a diplomat and intermediary of the woodlands areas. Following the defeat of the Allied Indian Tribes by U.S. Forces in 1794, she became active in peace negotiations, and relayed messages and speeches on behalf of Chief Joseph Brant to the various Native nations and the British.

Her acquisition of land holdings continued with a deed from the Ojibwa to an area along the north shore of the Thames River in current Chatham, Ontario. Within a few years, she sold her land and home in Detroit and concentrated on settling in her new area. Her purchases were quite extensive and included three improved farms, an orchard, and a house referred to as the "mansion". Sadly, Sally's life was not to be a peaceful one.

In 1790, the British Crown purchased the remaining Ojibwa lands in this area by an agreement known as the McKee Purchase. Specific conditions were deliberately placed in the McKee agreement, which exempted the lands then owned by Sally. The British Land Board supervising the sale and distribution of the new lands chose to ignore Sally's rights. Once it became known that Sally's lands were threatened, seven Ojibwa chiefs, Mohawk chief Joseph Brant, Lt. Governor Simcoe, and the powerful head of Indian Affairs Sir John Johnson all verified Sally's ownership of the lands, her exemption from the McKee purchase, and her rights as a landowner. It all failed. This began a battle for Sally to retain control of her lands that lasted for 23 years.

In the early 1800s, Sally left her land in Chatham, and moved to Amherstburg, Ontario. Finally, in 1813, she gave up the battle and relinquished her Chatham holdings. She continued to live in Amherstburg until her death in 1823.

Children of Andrew Montour and zzz Montour are:
+ 21 i. John (Montour)6 Montier, born Abt. 1746; died Abt. 1830.
22 ii. + six Brother Montour.
23 iii. Madelina "Kayodaghscroony" Montour.

Child of Andrew Montour and Sally Aines is:
24 i. Nicolas6 Montour.

19. French Margaret5 Montour (Madame4 "Chenette, Techenet" Montour, Louis Couc dit3 Montour, Pierre2 Couc, Nicolas1) She married "Katerionecha" Peter Quebec.

Children of French Montour and "Katerionecha" Quebec are:
+ 25 i. Catharine "French Catharine"6 Montour.
+ 26 ii. Queen Esther "Fiend of Wyoming" Montour.
27 iii. Mary Montour. She married Kanaghragait "John Cook".

More About Kanaghragait "John Cook":
Fact 6: Senecca chief

28 iv. Roland (gdsn) Montour.
29 v. John (gdsn) Montour.

Generation No. 6

21. John (Montour)6 Montier (Andrew "Sattelihu"5 Montour, Madame4 "Chenette, Techenet" Montour, Louis Couc dit3 Montour, Pierre2 Couc, Nicolas1) was born Abt. 1746, and died Abt. 1830.

Notes for John (Montour) Montier:
William and Mary College, Bursar's Book 1754-1770, p.1 Indian children in attendance
John Montour ---John Montour was the son of Andrew Montour, an interpreter of mixed Indian and French -Canadian ancestry" he went to command a company of Delaware Indians on the American side in 1782, (Stuart 1984, p.58).
Source: Rountree, Helen C.1944-
Pocahonta's people: the Powhatan Indians of Virginia through four centuries/ by Helen C. Rountree. - 1st ed. ISBN 0-8061-2280-3

John Montier, 1790 Cenus Pennsylvania, Cheltenham Township, Montogomery Co.
Head of hosehold- 6 other persons in household

Children of John (Montour) Montier are:
30 i. Elizabeth7 Montier, born Abt. 1779; died Abt. 1844. She married Isaiah Sr. Cooper; born Abt. 1778; died Abt. October 1849 in Coloma, Ca..
31 ii. Montogomery Montier.

25. Catharine "French Catharine"6 Montour (French Margaret5, Madame4 "Chenette, Techenet" Montour, Louis Couc dit3 Montour, Pierre2 Couc, Nicolas1) She married "Telelemut" Thomas Hudson.

More About "Telelemut" Thomas Hudson:
Fact 6: Sennecca chief

Children of Catharine Montour and "Telelemut" Hudson are:
32 i. Amochol "Canoe" Andrew7 Montour.
33 ii. d #1 Montour.
34 iii. d #2 Montour.

26. Queen Esther "Fiend of Wyoming"6 Montour (French Margaret5, Madame4 "Chenette, Techenet" Montour, Louis Couc dit3 Montour, Pierre2 Couc, Nicolas1) She married Egohowin.

More About Egohowin:
Fact 6: Munsee chief

Child of Queen Montour and Egohowin is:
35 i. Gencho7.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
John Carlisle 10 Oct 2000 10:01AM GMT 
Glenda 19 Oct 2000 11:35AM GMT 
John Carlisle 19 Oct 2000 4:23PM GMT 
Glenda 19 Oct 2000 11:35AM GMT 
Chris Montour 22 Oct 2000 12:20PM GMT 
John Carlisle 22 Oct 2000 6:53PM GMT 
John Carlisle 22 Oct 2000 10:01PM GMT 
JeanClaudeLal... 11 Nov 2000 10:18AM GMT 
Gilberte Bertrand 14 Nov 2000 4:49PM GMT 
JeanClaudeLal... 15 Nov 2000 4:41AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.