Search for content in message boards

St.Clair/Sinclair? Family-Need help-Needle in a haystack

Replies: 12

St.Clair/Sinclair? Family-Need help-Needle in a haystack

Posted: 18 Aug 2011 9:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: St.Clair, Sinclair
Hi,

I have a real needle in a haystack. I'm actually looking for a professional or very good genealogy researcher who might be willing to take on this dilema.

My ancestor, Robert Moses St.Clair we believe was born in Ontario 8 Dec 1847. We first found him in Huron Co MI for some land records in the middle 1860's. He married there on 9 Jan 1868 to Jeanette Corbett. Unfortunately their marriage records in that time frame do not give parent info. Robert on various records, (census, children's birth records etc) claimed he was born in MI or Canada. He claims parents born in Canada or Scotland or sometimes MI. We thought he was born in MI because his marriage record states that he was born in Lexington, Sanilac MI. We believe this to be incorrect. A cousin found a letter that was written to Robert in his mother's things. It is from an esquire who is trying to connect Robert's family to the St.Clair's in Edinburg, Scotland. It states that he is trying to connect Moses St.Clair (Robert's grandfather) with the estate.
Here is the letter:
On behalf of your cousin, Barbara Sears, I am trying to connect the descendants of your grandfather, Moses St. Clair, with the St. Clair estate, Edinburg, which I am told was advertised in the Toronto Mail. As you are the son of one of the oldest of Moses' children, I thought you might be able to tell me a good deal about your grandfather and his family - not his children but his father, Adoniram, (your great-grandfather) and any brothers or sisters that of your grandfather, Moses. It may be that your mother who lives in St. Thomas near here knows a good deal about your father's family. Will you kindly give me her present name so that I can write to her for I wish to get hold of all the information I can: and I should like you to write- by return of mail and tell me all your can possibly think of about your great-grandfather and his children or brothers.

Miss Sears tells me that you once told her that there was money in Scotland for the St. Clairs. Please tell where it comes from, and where you got your information and all about it.

An answer by return of mail will greatly oblige.

Yours Truly,

G. A. Andrews

This letter indicates his mother is living at the date of the letter which is: 7 Dec 1905.

The dilema?

No parent names. Only a mother that lives in St. Thomas in 1905. A grandfather and ggrandfather's name that were not sure if they lived in Canada or Scotland. We believe the St.Clair family in Middlesex Co is somehow related as there is a Barbara Sears in that family who may be the mentioned cousin, but can't connect to that family at this time. I believe there is another generation between the families since we can't tie to them.

So...is there anyone out that that might be willing to take this on for a reasonable fee? Or if you know of someone who might, please let me know. This man is in my first 5 generations of my family and we can't find parent info anywhere. Death record in MI lists parents as "unknown". There are "Sinclair's" in Huron Co MI, but he's the only St.Clair and we can't connect them either and I know that the names are interchangeable.

Thank you!

Iris Peppers
Michigan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
IMPeppers 18 Aug 2011 3:43PM GMT 
normaatng 5 Sep 2011 11:24PM GMT 
IMPeppers 6 Sep 2011 2:33AM GMT 
thefivewilson... 1 Apr 2012 1:03PM GMT 
IMPeppers 2 Apr 2012 2:39AM GMT 
thefivewilson... 6 Mar 2013 2:20PM GMT 
carenjf1 22 Jun 2013 1:04AM GMT 
thefivewilson... 22 Jun 2013 2:12AM GMT 
carenjf1 22 Jun 2013 4:25AM GMT 
thefivewilson... 13 Aug 2013 12:49AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.