Search for content in message boards

Joseph Hart - Despatch Shipwreck Survivor, Isle aux Morts 1828

Replies: 0

Joseph Hart - Despatch Shipwreck Survivor, Isle aux Morts 1828

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 5:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Feb 2013 5:46PM GMT
Surnames: Hart
I'm looking for information about Joseph Hart, my 4th-great-grandfather's brother, born in 1795. He sailed from Ireland with his wife, Mary, and their five children - Thomas, Margaret, Eliza, and two sons that died when the ship, a brig named Despatch, wrecked off the coast of Isle aux Morts in 1828. They are listed among the survivors that were taken aboard the HMS Tyne from Port aux Basque to Halifax. I've read that the survivors were temporarily housed at the Citadel in Halifax; construction of the fort as it stands today was started only a few months after the survivors arrived.

I'm trying to follow up with a few of my theories, including the possibility that some of the survivors may have taken jobs as laborers when construction began, and stayed in Nova Scotia (or Newfoundland) permanently. The only other records I've been able to find are the 1860 U.S. Census, which show Joseph living with his nephew in Orleans County, Western New York, and the 1865 New York State Census, where he is listed as a resident of the Orleans County Poorhouse. Notes from a family reunion held in 1925 simply mention that he "lost family and fortune in shipwreck." I have no idea where or when his wife and three remaining children died.

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.